Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, we as in the spouse and I were at Food Lion (Super Market Chain). So I'm in aisle and notice lady struggling to get an item off the top shelf. So I reach up and get the Item (a nine roll pack of toilet paper). The lady goes nuts and strikes me with her handbag. I place the item in her cart. She is now beside herself in a state of embarrassment. She starts to apologize. I interrupt her and say an apology is not necessary.

Apparently it doesn't take much to trip someone's wire!

·
Registered
Pistoleer
455 Posts
Due to the current status quo I have observed that people are noticeably more on edge than normal. Here lately I have had a heightened situational awareness to watch for anything questionable from anyone around me.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Just a misunderstanding.

With all the hoarding of TP going on, she likely was running short and happy to find some and then along comes this guy trying to take it from her!

People are on edge, mainly due to all the conflicting information out there and the whole quarantine thing.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
This morning, we as in the spouse and I were at Food Lion (Super Market Chain). So I'm in aisle and notice lady struggling to get an item off the top shelf. So I reach up and get the Item (a nine roll pack of toilet paper). The lady goes nuts and strikes me with her handbag. I place the item in her cart. She is now beside herself in a state of embarrassment. She starts to apologize. I interrupt her and say an apology is not necessary.

Did you sneak a grab on the way up?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
With how rude and on edge people have been, people are shocked by kind deeds.

If the TP situation there is anything like here (sell out as soon as stocked) then she probably thought you were trying to take it and then was embarrassed when she realized you were just helping.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
Did you sneak a grab on the way up?
Wrong word, brother. It's, "Did you sneak an UNCLE JOE on the way up?"

And it is something to be very thankful for that you didn't run across Mrs OldChap. She is always armed! :embarassed:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rude and hateful seems to be the new normal these days.
To a degree you are correct. We boarder a recreation area, thus we are exposed to people with differing behavior patterns. The stay in place orders have to a degree caused a certain amount civil disorder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You missed your chance. Once she went off on you needlessly, you should have grabbed the toilet paper from her cart, put it in yours, and said, "A pox upon thee, m'lady. Verily, thou hast wrought mine scorn upon thine countenance."
I'm not that mean spirited!:smile:

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Yes, people are on edge and worried about not having TP. TP is a luxury I have become to and appreciate not having to use my off hand, grass, rag, napkin, or Sears Roebuck pages.

I did have a surprise back the first week of March. The wife and I had returned to our permanent residence following an extended snow bird period and were low on supplies. I went to a local DG store during the "Senior Citizens" hours between 7-8 AM and was ran into by a young lady as she hurriedly passed me. I was not bothered by this behavior (the heck I wasn't!) and continued on into the store to do my shopping. When I reached the toilet paper aisle, the same young lady ran past me and took the last two packages and left. I asked a store clerk who had walked up if they had any more TP and she said not until the following week when the truck arrived. A short time later the young lady returned and offered me one of the two packages. I guess she had a guilty moment prior to leaving the store.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts

At least she didn’t shoot you. That would have been awkward.

·
Registered
578 Posts
We all have our stupid moments ( hours, days, weeks etc. ). Back in my younger days I was parked in a Super Market parking lot on a cold snowy day. A car pulled up behind me and blared its horn long and loud. Like the idiot I was that day, I bailed out of my vehicle, came face to face with a smallish woman who had exited the horn blowing car as rapidly as I had exited mine. I immediately shouted that she could take her horn and......well you get the picture. She turned rather pale and said " Sir I just wanted to apologize. I was moving my child and leaned on my horn accidentally." I was so ashamed of my behavior that I could only manage " Yes Mam. Sorry." and get back into my car. I hope to this day that she forgave me. I guess my longwinded point is - cut folks a little slack as often as you can. You never know when you might need some yourself.

·
Registered
34,030 Posts
It's probably fortunate for the woman that you weren't me. At the least, I would have told her I was getting it for her and then shoved it to the back of the shelf and walked away--at the least. My tolerance for people is about nil anymore.

Reactions: JeffreyR

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
These things can bite you in more than one way. Helped a lady get a couple plants down from a high shelf at home depot yesterday; wife was around the corner and didn't see the request for help. What she did see was the lady walk by me and put her hand on my should and thank me. Yeah, had some 'splainin' to do.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts