Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
It will learn to suffer state's rights and it will prevail?

·
Registered
375 Posts
And a concealed carry permit is nothing more than a government permission slip to exercise that right.

·
Registered
375 Posts
We don't need a "permission slip" to exercise any other of our rights in any state in the union, why do we need one for only the second amendment?

What needs to happen is for SCOTUS to declare any state law that infringes on our rights to be unconstitutional.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
This will be the icing on the cake!!!!
This will never happen...

With drivers licenses, states had to agree on essentially the same tests for driver proficiency...testing standards are so disparate for firearms licensing from state to state that the states will never reach agreement. Also, drivers licenses are absolutely necessary for commerce...so they had a vested interest in coming to agreement for drivers...this is not the case with guns.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yes! They have taken one of our rights and made it into a mockery. The founding fathers didn't say we will provide for a right to keep and bear arms as long as you don't live in New Jersey. As long as the right to bear arms is just the joke that it is we will have those who think that it is something that they can decide for us. This is the reason why we have anti gunners now. We need to demand that our rights are upheld.

·
Registered
601 Posts
To take a line from the current president.........this is just common sense gun rights!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I (we) have it GREAT in Kentucky regarding CCW legislation & gun-rights overall. The closer our eggs get to the (more restrictive) baskets of places like Illinois, California, Massachusetts, etc., the WORSE it is for KENTUCKIANS! So y'all get your our (state)houses in order, and THEN...we'll talk. :yup:

Might I respectfully suggest that you start by electing strong representation!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Homogenize the rights of the people in individual states into one GIGANTIC FEDERAL BUREAUCRACY (aka database)? :nono:

I don't think so.

Be careful what you wish for.................. :wink:

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
And a concealed carry permit is nothing more than a government permission slip to exercise that right.
In Ohio, at least, it is much more, the difference between perfectly legal and a third-degree felony.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
Homogenize the rights of the people in individual states into one GIGANTIC FEDERAL BUREAUCRACY (aka database)? :nono:

I don't think so.

Be careful what you wish for.................. :wink:
Relax, we are all already on several large databases.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
We don't need a "permission slip" to exercise any other of our rights in any state in the union, why do we need one for only the second amendment?

What needs to happen is for SCOTUS to declare any state law that infringes on our rights to be unconstitutional.
I'm holding my breath in wide-eyed anticipation. Failing that, better to have the permission slip.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In Ohio, at least, it is much more, the difference between perfectly legal and a third-degree felony.
It's the same here in KY.
Doesn't change the fact that we're still asking the government permission to exercise a right.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I'm holding my breath in wide-eyed anticipation. Failing that, better to have the permission slip.
.............even better than a "permission slip" is to live in a state where your rights as a citizen are recognized without one. :wink:

·
Banned
894 Posts
Historically, the 2A only limited the Fed govts behavior and allowed the states to set their own rules and regs about who carried. Self defense is a God given right in our country (it is not in some UK nations, which means it is not really God given)) but you don't actually need a gun to defend yourself. A 5 iron, a Crescent wrench, a boot or a fist , a shovel or ball bat also work. And as more people are killed with fists and feet than with long guns in any given year (FBI stats), the govt has the proof it needs.

Bill of Rights - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com
On their face, it is obvious that the amendments apply to actions by the federal government, not to actions by the states. In 1833, in Barron v. Baltimore, Chief Justice John Marshall confirmed that understanding. Barron had sued the city for damage to a wharf, resting his claim on the Fifth Amendment’s requirement that private property not be taken for public use “without just compensation.” Marshall ruled that the Fifth Amendment was intended “solely as a limitation on the exercise of power by the government of the United States, and is not applicable to the legislation of the states.”
The Bill of Rights: Its History and its Significance
Most of the protections of the Bill of Rights eventually would be extended to state infringements as well federal infringements though the "doctrine of incorporation" beginning in the early to mid-1900s. The doctrine rests on interpreting the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment as prohibiting states from infringing on the most fundamental liberties of its citizens.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
It's the same here in KY.
Doesn't change the fact that we're still asking the government permission to exercise a right.
In the words of Walter Cronkite, and that's the way it is.

·
Premium Member
36,731 Posts
.............even better than a "permission slip" is to live in a state where your rights as a citizen are recognized without one. :wink:
I've been to Arizona. I'll just stay here in Ohio and keep renewing my Concealed Handgun License.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
This will never happen...

With drivers licenses, states had to agree on essentially the same tests for driver proficiency...testing standards are so disparate for firearms licensing from state to state that the states will never reach agreement. Also, drivers licenses are absolutely necessary for commerce...so they had a vested interest in coming to agreement for drivers...this is not the case with guns.
If the congress and the president can come to an understanding, then yes it will. I am a great proponent of state's rights, and I do have reservations about the idea depending on the particular wording of the legislation, but it's right in the Constitution itself that the federal government has the power to decide what legal acts of other states each state must honor.

Even if driver licensing requirements were drastically different from state to state, they would have to accept them if Uncle Sam said so.

From article IV, section 1:

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If the congress and the president can come to an understanding, then yes it will. I am a great proponent of state's rights, and I do have reservations about the idea depending on the particular wording of the legislation, but it's right in the Constitution itself that the federal government has the power to decide what legal acts of other states each state must honor.

Even if driver licensing requirements were drastically different from state to state, they would have to accept them if Uncle Sam said so.

From article IV, section 1:
It ain't gonna happen...it will be just like drivers license...states will have to come to some type of agreement on testing...despite FF&C.

If it WERE to pass...which it won't...the anti-gun states would immediately block it in court. PRECEDENT rules the day...and Heller says states have rights to "reasonable" gun control...court would uphold the injunction. It would be dead...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts