Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I like how they called it a "water weapon".....must avoid the G word even back then.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,612 Posts
I had most of those old guns, and it was no big deal back then.
Those were the days...but not ALL is lost.

I'm going up to see my 5 year old grandson (from FL to IN) in two weeks...among other things, I thought we might start him off with this.

Daisy Classic Red Ryder 1938 BB Gun - AirgunDepot.com

No ammo shortage either, I'm starting him off with 4,000 rouds.:rolleyes:

Important note:
(He'll be highly supervised, and no windows or animals will be harmed with this training.)

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I'm going up to see my 5 year old grandson (from FL to IN) in two weeks...among other things, I thought we might start him off with this.

Sounds like he'll be wide-eyed and excited.

Of course, it's a 650rd capacity gun, there. I'm sure "combat" reloads, moving off the "X" and effective use of cover will be part of the training. (Perhaps next time.)

Enjoy the trip. Li'l Johnnie's gonna love it.

·
Super Moderator
25,622 Posts
Remember, I had one!! It was my favorite then, and the one "toy" I wish I still had. Even the holster was great, didn't have all the fancy crap on it that all the other cap gun holsters had, and that made the whole thing sort of special.

Also had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun growing up. Used to put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil down the barrel, that improved the air seal and seemed (in my young mind) to increase accuracy.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
That's a great commercial. Kids could still be kids and have fun. It is sad to see how bad things are today. What attitudes will todays kids have 10 or 20 years from now? Thanks for the post EMP.

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts

Important note:
(He'll be highly supervised, and no windows or animals will be harmed with this training.)
Dang it ret, don't you know he'll shoot his eye out with that thing???

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
...we took capguns to school in our pockets...unless the teacher saw them come out in the building...no foul...boys pretended and longed to grow up to be soldiers...cops...stand against evil...I got to be a Marine...got to be a cop, and I'm still standing against evil...wouldn't have missed it for the world and all it's gold...

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Things use to be normal.

With toys like that, how did I every live long enough to reach the legal age to purchase real guns?

Now I remember how I did it...they were just toys and my parents taught me to be responsible and held me accountable for my actions.

Reactions: luvmy40

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Your right, now they ban kick ball because somebody might get hurt. If It keeps going the way it is, the military will have to recruit from the girlscouts.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Remember, I had one!! It was my favorite then, and the one "toy" I wish I still had. Even the holster was great, didn't have all the fancy crap on it that all the other cap gun holsters had, and that made the whole thing sort of special.

Also had a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun growing up. Used to put a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil down the barrel, that improved the air seal and seemed (in my young mind) to increase accuracy.

I didn't have a Red Ryder :mad: , but I did have the Daisy Cub, which was along the same lines except no fore grip and a plastic stock. The 3 in 1 oil worked wonders for it. I can remember the leather seal getting dry and loosing so much pressure, you could actually see the BB in flight. Couple of drops of oil and it sped right up again. I still have it. Thing is 50+ years old and still shoots. Of course through neglect over many years the plastic stock has warped, but not many things are in pristine shape after 50+ years.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I remember those water gun's. Not that long ago as. I was on patrol in the south bronx when they came out. Battery powered water gun's. Notice no red or orange safety tip on the barrel.

This is just rumor mind you... But there was a squad of cops who one guy got one and the rest of the squad had to have them. By the next set all the members had them. These were steady 1st platoon guys (Midnights). every night they ware shooting it out with each other, just having a grand time. Again it is rumored that a drug crew was operating in a particular sector got ambushed by these cops with their realistic water guns. As the rumor has it the drug crew also got their own water guns. Every night during the month of august there were running gun battles between the local cops and the melrose drug crew. Talk about realistic training... But again this is all rumor....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts