Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is primarily for semiauto users.

If you carry in condition 1 or 0, and have times where you have to leave your firearm in your car (for work, at school, etc.), how do you secure it?

Do you clear the chambered round? Or leave it ready to go but in a secure lockbox? Do you leave the round chambered but take the magazine with you?

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
If I leave it in the car, its in a lock box. It goes in the box the way its carried. The less you mess, the less likely you are to have a mis-hap...

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ What Harryball said!^^^^^^^^^^^:yup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I leave it in the car, its in a lock box. It goes in the box the way its carried. The less you mess, the less likely you are to have a mis-hap...
That's my thinking. I was over on another forum and people who carry condition 1/0 mentioned clearing the chamber every time they locked their gun in the car. My first thought was: Man, more chance for a mistake. Second thought was: Chambering and clearing the same rounds over and over could damage the round and potentially cause injury, at the least a misfire. Doing that about 30 times a month wouldn't be good for the ammo.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Same as Fur Ball, no same as Hair Ball, no that same as HarryBall! :wave:

Damn Spell Check and small key pad on the iPhone! :blink:

Reactions: Harryball

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
What Harryball said.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I take the mag with me and lock my gun to the seat rail. I have only locked my gun down 5 times in the last year. I can carry at work. The other day the boss asked me if I had my gun. I said " Well, of course."

·
Registered
470 Posts
Chambered and ready to go. Locked with only my access. No one else has the key.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
Same way it's on my belt: Ready to go.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Always ready for action regardless of where it is carried or stored.:yup:

Reactions: Hodad

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I carry one round in the chamber all day. I have a GunVault 200 under my car seat to stow it during gun-free-zone excursions. It sits fully chambered in a rigged up in-car holster during drives.

I only purge the round from the chamber for end if day storage. I have a child and even locked up on a safe I want to be doubly careful.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I remove my holster with gun still in it (same way I put it on), place in glove box, lock glove box and car, and I'm on my way. This is a very rare occurrence, and if I'm in a somewhat busy area it can be done while seated in car fairly quick and safe. I don't like the idea of unholstering, digging around under seat, getting out a box others might see, etc. But that's just me!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just depends. The church I attend is meeting in a school. So I have to unchamber and lock it all up. Other than that, nope.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Locked , still loaded .

·
Registered
541 Posts
This. I see no reason to unchamber. If someone gets in, finds my lockbox, cuts the cable and steals the box, it's going to be no less dangerous if it's 7 or 7+1. That said, I only have it in the lockbox if I'm in school and that's a patrolled parking lot, relatively safe there. Otherwise it's on me for the most part.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 48 Posts