Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies is seelin his un issued SKS i can personally attest to the fact that he had it melted down and prob got 100-200 rounds through it he gave me first dibs on it for 250 is that a good deal. its a yugo.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the crap that its shipped in im showin my ignorance here dont know what its called but its part of the packaging

·
Registered
431 Posts
cosmoline. Not a great price, but not a rip off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ug I miss the days when a guy could by chinese SKS's for $75 all day long.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I owned one about 10 years ago. It was a Chinese version....enjoyed it very much and now regret that I sold it. I was looking for a replacement tonight, and I think they are now going for almost $400 in excellent condition . I believe that I paid $129 for my first one. I could see paying $250 for one that is in great condition, but I would not pay anymore than that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I paid 179 for a new yugo in cosmo. This was in 2006 though. Now prices are alot more.

·
8,501 Posts
$250 is a pretty good price these days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if it's in good shape get it... you can't beat that price... I had to dish out 3 bills for mine back in 2008... they're only going up in price.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
One of my buddies is seelin his un issued SKS i can personally attest to the fact that he had it melted down and prob got 100-200 rounds through it he gave me first dibs on it for 250 is that a good deal. its a yugo.

Does it have the nite sights and gernade launcher?
If so, good price.

Here's mine

Hey this bowling pin had it coming. One that looked suspiciously like it cost me a 300 game.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The Yugoslavian SKS are good rifles and a lot of fun to plink with. I guess $250 is a decent price for an "unissued" version. This one cost me about $180 three years ago but I have a C&R FFL. Make sure you throughly clean all the cosmoline out of the bolt and gas tube. Many people got these rifle which usually were cover inside and out with this perservative jelly and the firing pins can stick and cause slamfires if the firing pin channel is clogged up. The gas valves are also a problem with some of the Yugo SKS's.

Here are a couple of good links for info on these rifles
Collecting and Shooting the SKS Rifle - Bolt Disassembly and Reassembly
Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle - Surplusrifle.com

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry been off here so long been crazy week yes it actually does have the grenade launcher and all the jazz no night sigths though it is in flawless shape as can be i did full strip on it and found zero problems

·
Registered
643 Posts
I love my Yugo. Picked it up for 319. It also was an unissued rifle. Survivor's SKS boards is a good source of info on these and other SKS models.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The Yugo SKS is a good plinker/truck gun. I picked up 2 unissued all matching Yugos, back when they were $100.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Love my SKS. Combat proven,and completely reliable. IMHO has better accuracy then the AK. $250 is a great price for todays standards. I have a hard time finding a worthy one for under $300.

Though I have "tacti cooled" mine, and wouldn't have it any other way.:yup:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I have a soviet SKS... AWESOME!

Love it and wouldnt sell it for the world! Plus it will be my backup SHTF rifle in case my AR ever became inoperable.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well that settles it im buyin it and then ima trick it out with some fancy dancy crap and use it for a good ole fun gun

·
Registered
587 Posts
I wouldn't pay that for an SKS when you can buy an AK for $400 and be able to use AK magazines. By the time you put a TAPCO stock on so you can switch $35 SKS magazines, you'll have spent the cost of an AK anyway.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I wouldn't pay that for an SKS when you can buy an AK for $400 and be able to use AK magazines. By the time you put a TAPCO stock on so you can switch $35 SKS magazines, you'll have spent the cost of an AK anyway.
With all due respect that's not the point here, he is looking at buying an SKS not an AK. Maybe he already has an AK or just does not want one. Most SKS owners are not looking to "tacticool" their SKS either and make it an AK wantabe. They are different rifles and both have different strengths and weaknesses. The SKS is not a just a cheaper lesser desirable rifle you get if you can't afford an AK. I own several examples of both rifles and the SKS is an all-together different gun with its own characteristics that stand on its own as both a shooter and as part of a collection. The Tapco detachable SKS 20 round mags go for around $20 by the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts