Defensive Carry banner

Thoughts on a magnetic holster

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  hardluk1 
#1 ·
My wife is looking for a IWB holster and we found a couple on the net but we don't know anything about them. Does anyone have some thoughts on a JM4 Tactical Magnetic Holster or the MAG-JIC holster? There might be other brands out there that we have not found yet. I like the idea of not having a clip but not sure how well it will work through jeans. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hmmm, never had one. So I am not sure of the strength of the magnet or how well it would distribute the weight of the firearm.
I do worry about the fit and retention as they are not gun specific. I still need a belt for mine, no matter if single/double clip, loop, or Remora type. But that's just me.

If you do get one please let us know your honest opinion.

#5 ·
I don't have any experience with them, but just checked out their website and looks interesting... My first thought was lack of retention, but it appears as though the magnet does a pretty good job of keeping the gun in place even though it is a "universal" fit. The two videos they have on their homepage look pretty convincing. I'd trust it a whole lot more than an uncle mikes or other "universal" clip-style holsters, but at $70 and up, I'd tend to go the traditional route of a double clip IWB unless your talking about a smaller firearm that wouldn't need the extra stability of a double clip holster.

My EDC is either a Stealthgear Onyx or a Clinger "No Print Wonder" and I like both of them. (Firearm is either an XDm 3.8 compact or XDs - different holsters for each firearm.) I just like the extra security of a formed kydex shell to make sure nothing is going to put any pressure on the trigger. But with that said, I bought my wife a Galco leather IWB holster for her LCR, but that thing has such a long (and stiff) trigger pull that I'm comfortable with that setup.

Just my 2 cents... If you do decide to try it out, let us know how it works out!

#13 ·
I'm not sure if i want any thing magnetic next to my gun, i would think after a bit the gun could be magnetized by removing and putting gun back in holster...you know kind of like sliding a magnet upand down a screw driver to magnetize it.
We have a gun magnet under our desk here at home, and it does fine. Holds even larger pistols well and doesn't mar the finish.

The other issue with this style holster, is it will attract every bits of metal you may come in contact with. It may not be much at first, but it can accumulate. It will be difficult to clean it all out, it can do more than normal finish damage, and could bring in enough debris to cause a malfunction.
Additionally, your watches and other fine mechanical devices are at risk.

No thanks. Not even for my Glock 18. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ianthin
#10 ·
Possibly for a bed frame or under desk mount holster in the right circumstances. But even a clip based holster or a belt slide gets a lot of force from moving about, getting in and out of cars, etc.

Me, I don't want a magnet strong enough to hold firm on the body that close to my wallet, keys, credit cards and usb sticks. Cause when its not on my body its usually top of the "pile" next to where I'm relaxing.

#12 ·
We have a gun magnet under our desk here at home, and it does fine. Holds even larger pistols well and doesn't mar the finish.

The other issue with this style holster, is it will attract every bits of metal you may come in contact with. It may not be much at first, but it can accumulate. It will be difficult to clean it all out, it can do more than normal finish damage, and could bring in enough debris to cause a malfunction.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
#14 ·
When you say you like the idea of not having a clip: That fold over strap of leather is the same as a clip - it goes over your belt.

If you have to wear a belt, which you do with both of those magnetic holsters, get a holster that is molded to the gun and will retain it properly and is firm/stiff enough so that reholstering is safe(r). Good, reinforced leather or Kydex will serve you much better and much, much longer.

Reactions: Ianthin
#15 ·
The only reason to have this magnetic design holster is for what , easy removal ?? In 28 years cc'n I have never removed my holster except to change pants . Been a few time the handgun came out like at a court house or hospital visit buy holster stayed in place . Want a top level belt holster look to mitch rosen eline , ross holsters and black hills leather . May wife has a lined BH72 8* cant for a 1911 . Nice holster at a great price .

https://blackhillsleather.com/the-austin-holster.html#.WEVal2Prt9A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.