Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot one a while back and it was really a sweet ride. Great ergonomics. Very well placed CG. Moderate recoil. Great factory trigger. All in all a rather pleasant shooter.

I was thinking of starting to search for one and thought I would post here and see what yall thought of the pistol. Reliability. Service life. You know the drill. Is it a good model for the buck?

Also what are yalls thoughts on the variants like Tac Pac, Combat, etc. Lookin at it as a possible CCW but initially it will be a range shooter and HD pistol. I am guessing 9mm better than .40 as well?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
It's an awesome, awesome gun. One of the best combat handguns ever, in my not-so-humble opinion.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Shoot what is comfortable.....I have a P226/.40 and had one in 9mm. Both were pretty awesome. Find a round you like, and shoot it. Don't waste your time on 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debates.

·
Registered
42,916 Posts
My son gave me a P226 MK25 9mm and it's a great shooter, no issues whatsoever. Big for CC but would be a nice duty/OC/HD firearm. I like SIGs but the price is steeper than "El Cheapo" is willing to fork over.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I shot one a while back and it was really a sweet ride. Great ergonomics. Very well placed CG. Moderate recoil. Great factory trigger. All in all a rather pleasant shooter.

I was thinking of starting to search for one and thought I would post here and see what yall thought of the pistol. Reliability. Service life. You know the drill. Is it a good model for the buck?

Also what are yalls thoughts on the variants like Tac Pac, Combat, etc. Lookin at it as a possible CCW but initially it will be a range shooter and HD pistol. I am guessing 9mm better than .40 as well?
actually my favorite Sig Sauer. I carried a P226 with Trijicon night sights for work, back in 1993. I loved it. I would suggest you go for the "SAS" model, which is beveled, radiused, and smoothed out to be snag-free for concealed carry. Anyway, fantastic gun.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
The 226 works for me. The 239 works for. If I was looking for a dual purpose, year around carry and range gun I would check out the 239 SAS.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Don't have much direct experience with the P226, but I can offer a few 'data points':

1) I've had two Sig's (P232 & C3), and they're two of my all-time favorite guns.
2) My B-I-L has a P226, and it's FINE!
3) The P226 was designed to replace the 1911 for the U.S. military. It passed the trials and by some accounts actually beat out the Beretta 92. The Beretta won on the basis of total cost (gun + mags + accessories).

It's a pretty big gun for CC, but if I was in the market for a pistol in that niche, I wouldn't hesitate.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't have any experience with a 226 yet, but from everything I've read they are uber reliable, amazingly sweet shooting pistols and one of the sigs that sig snobs rave about . . . .

my thoughts? I will have to get one. It's about 2nd or 3rd on my wish list.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The P226 is an excellent pistol and if you get one you won't regret it, since you already know you enjoy shooting it. I have a P229, which is close to the same thing but smaller. Amazing gun. I have about 2,600 rounds through it and it hasn't choked yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My experience with the P series is as good as anyone elses here. If they are exactly what you want, you won't be disappointed.

The things to keep in mind, when comparing them to newer style guns is that you have a lot more metal on metal contact, and this means that lubrication is very important for reliability, more so than with say, a glock. You also have a heavy and long first pull which makes the transition to SA a bit tricky, requiring a bit more practice to stay accurate at, but this isn't too big of a deal, and depending on your preferences this may be exactly what you want.

Good model for the buck? In terms of an effective carry gun, the truth is that polymer is probably a better deal which is also easier to use and maintain. But if you want one, there is no substitute, and they are well worth the money.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a Sig P226 in 9mm and it makes a great range gun. It has never malfunctioned; however, I personally find it too large for concealed carry. The stock is quite large making the trigger reach (especially on the first double action trigger pull) difficult to reach for people with medium to small hands. For concealed carry I much prefer the P239 single stack in 9mm, 40sw or 357sig or you may look at the P229 which is a shortened P226. All and all, Sig makes great, reliable, and accurate firearms. They're built like tanks and mine (all of my 4 sigs) have all been 100% reliable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am really torn between the P226, P229 and P239 (pretty much the same in smaller sizes respectively). It will probably be my first used gun purchase since they are awfully expensive NIB.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I am really torn between the P226, P229 and P239 (pretty much the same in smaller sizes respectively). It will probably be my first used gun purchase since they are awfully expensive NIB.
The newer 224 is the SC version in the 226/229 family (239 is a singlestack). If I could only have one of that group, I'd probably go 229, which I don't have... yet. Nice size for carrying, big enough for the nightstand, good capacity, and takes the full-sized 229 mags (including the TACOPS ones - 20rds 9mm or 15rds .40/.357 Sig).

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
The Sig 226 would be an awesome range gun and a formidable home defense gun. But I personally wouldn't use one for CCW. Take this as just one guy's opinion, and one that's biased by 20+ years of SA autos carried cocked and locked. To me the transition from the pretty heavy DA first shot to the light, short reset SA is tough to deal with. I suppose if you train that way, decocking between rounds to get used to the transition, it's probably fine. Personally I like either pure SA or pure DA, but that's just me. I know it doesn't seem to bother the SEALs, but they get to burn a lot more ammo in training than me!

·
Super Moderator
25,613 Posts
To keep it simple, I like mine (in 9mm)! (and my SIG 239.)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Older Sig P226

I bought my Sig P226 in 9mm about 1997 - it is one of the electroless nickel versions made back in the early 1990s. It has never given me any problems, and I have used it for home defense and range use. I haven't carried it because I have more compact 9mm alternatives available, and it is a fairly large handgun. I think it is a very attractive gun.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Its an awesome weapon

Its a bit heavy and way too large for CC

I hate to say, mine was sold to fund other weapons

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy smokes. Not one negative comment. Daaam.

I don't have my CCW tickets yet, still got to get to FL to get my resident first. I want to initially use the P226 as a practice range shooter and HD 100% at first then transition it to CCW as I feel more confident in its use in that aspect. Later I will likely seek out a specific CCW thats a bit more compact. But I don't want too compact. I tried a Nano and hated the freaking thing. It was way too small for me, even with the extended mags and it shot for crap to be honest.

I am 6'1", bout 300#, long legs, long arms decent sized hands. Hands aren't huge mitts but they aren't small either.

I will look into the P229 as a potential CCW in the future.

I really thank everyone for posting their feedback on this. It truely helps. These Sigs are not a cheap investment and I am feeling a lot more confident in my choice now.

·
Registered
120 Posts
P226 Owner

I've owned, carried, and shot a Sig P226ST .40 for the past eight years. Yes, it's a heavy frame but I have had complete reliability from it after thousands of rounds put through it. It works well with ball ammo for the range but my personal choice for defensive ammo is Remington Golden Saber JHP.

Other handguns are just fine but I don't like the light frames like the XD-40 as a matter of pure personal preference. The sights come back on target quickly and the recoil is very manageable. Some find the weight and size of the P226 uncomfortable to carry concealed but, after humping loads in the Army for over 20 years, it doesn't bother me much. I took it to the range this past weekend for TX CCH qualification and easily scored a 250/250. Of course, you could almost do that with a slingshot at those ranges but my shot groups were tight just using stock sights.

As a funny side note, if you ever have to hit someone in the head with the P226, it is like a solid little sledgehammer. Yes, I will fight 'dirty' if I have to in order to live. :image035:

Best of luck in whatever you choose, friend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts