Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this overnight while I sit here at work with an empty holster. What are your thoughts on an unconcealed empty holster in the work place. Should the holster stay concealed, is it not that big of a deal since it's empty or does it depened on the situation. Now lets add to this and say that everyone you work with knows that you carry. Does this change your thoughts?

I bring this up because as I'm sure you've figured out I can not carry at work. I work in a court house and have to leave my carry gun in a lock box on the ground floor. I work in a secured limited access area of the court house and everyone in my dept knows that I carry due to the fact that I have to make a stop at the lock box on my way into the building. I work with a small group so word gets around pretty easy about any and everything pertaining to each other.
I say limited access because there are other empolyees that do have access to our area to include the Sheriffs Dept.
My thoughts are the holster should stay concealed, why advertise the fact that you do carry outside the work place.
Curious to what everyone else has to say on the subject.

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
I agree that the holster should stay concealed. Why bring attention to something that is really nobody elses business and they actually do not have a need to know.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Definitely keep it concealed. It will just make your life easier that way.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Ordinarily I would agree that it should be concealed. You said the people in your office aready know you carry. If this is true then the point about concealment is somewhat moot. I would like to suggest an alternative of sorts. Sounds to me that you have a belt hoster.
If this is the case why not get a paddle holster and put the gun and the holster in the lockbox? This should also reduce the risk of a negligent discharge. The less time you are handling the gun outside the holster the less chance for a discharge. Should save alot of trouble and embarassment.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course I would much rather have my 1911 in the holster while at work but having to put it in a lock box is not that big a deal and it's better than having to leave it in the car or not carry it at all. It was a little strange at first spending 8 + hours at work with an empty holster but I soon got used to it. I'm just glad our Sheriff provides a place for those who carry.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
You never want to be "made" when you're carrying,...but you definitely NEVER want to expose the fact that you're NOT carrying!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
put the holster in the lock box with your gun.

·
Banned
68 Posts
los said:
You never want to be "made" when you're carrying,...but you definitely NEVER want to expose the fact that you're NOT carrying!
I'll 2nd this thought... I was going to type this same remark, till I read LOS's

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
You could get something like a Max Con V and just leave it on, otherwise I would leave it in the box with the gun....

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like everyone else, think that if you have an empty holster on you are better off having it concealed. If you have a holster that you are comfortable with and will fit in the lock box, so much the better.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
knpjdad said:
I'll 2nd this thought... I was going to type this same remark, till I read LOS's
Great Minds think alike!:wave:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone that responded to this post, I was curious to see if everyone felt the same as I did about the holster staying concealed even if it's empty.
At times things get quiet here and last night was one of those nights and this just popped into my head.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts