Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, been a while since i was on here last. I am currently rocking a Ruger LCP as my EDC and like it just fine, problem is so does the wife, shes taking a huge liking to it and has given me permisison to either buy her one or buy me something else, I have no issues with 380 in the least and was ready to buy her, her very own LCP next payday and be fine with it. However, I was browsing thru buds gun shop last night and seen that Diamondback has lowered the price on their 9mm by around 100.00 bux. I have never considered these guns before because at 300 for a 9mm i would just pay the 50 more and get a Smith but 300 is a little high for me. Buds is selling the DB9 9mm for 193.00 bux which is well with in my price range and is in 9mm, cheaper ammo, more practice, more punch. Sounds like win win but....are they any good?? I watched hickock45's review and he seemed rather positive, had a few fails in the first couple hundred rounds then for the most part no issues, ammo picky but so is my LCP, used to that.

Anyone own one of these, shot them, and can tell me if its worth it for 2 Benjamins to own a nice compact 9mm, if not im fine with keeping my LCP and just buying another one, or perhaps the DiamondBack db380?? any good as well though more so for the 9mm. Thanks all and God Bless

·
Registered
100 Posts
I brought up the DP9FS in another thread. people thought I was talking about the model you're asking about, and so far haven't heard one good thing on this forum about them, frankly I would rather get an SCCY CPX2 but I'm not a huge fan of that one either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I nearly bought a sccy cpx 2 last year but after playing around with one it just doesnt fit my hand, hurts to pull the trigger and its too thick. I really wanted to like those guns but just couldnt, i imagine shooting the sccy would be a painful event considering just dry firing it was uncomfortable lol. From my research it seems that they didnt start out as worth a dime but that they have made considerable improvements since then and honestly most of the youtube review videos posted in the last 2 years are positive. Maybe just Stigma like Taurus has, their guns used to suck so bad, but now seems they do pretty good. I wasn't even looking for a 9mm at all, just happened to stumble onto that one.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Hello all, been a while since i was on here last. I am currently rocking a Ruger LCP as my EDC and like it just fine, problem is so does the wife, shes taking a huge liking to it and has given me permisison to either buy her one or buy me something else, I have no issues with 380 in the least and was ready to buy her, her very own LCP next payday and be fine with it. However, I was browsing thru buds gun shop last night and seen that Diamondback has lowered the price on their 9mm by around 100.00 bux. I have never considered these guns before because at 300 for a 9mm i would just pay the 50 more and get a Smith but 300 is a little high for me. Buds is selling the DB9 9mm for 193.00 bux which is well with in my price range and is in 9mm, cheaper ammo, more practice, more punch. Sounds like win win but....are they any good?? I watched hickock45's review and he seemed rather positive, had a few fails in the first couple hundred rounds then for the most part no issues, ammo picky but so is my LCP, used to that.

Anyone own one of these, shot them, and can tell me if its worth it for 2 Benjamins to own a nice compact 9mm, if not im fine with keeping my LCP and just buying another one, or perhaps the DiamondBack db380?? any good as well though more so for the 9mm. Thanks all and God Bless
They've been $200 +/- for well over a year now. I brought one of the new Gen2s, and it jammed none stop. It hurts to shoot as well, so it won't fill the roll as a fun range toy, and it's not trustworthy enough to be used for self defense. Even the DBForum is 90% of threads on trying to get it to run better instead of fanboys singing it's praises...

I liked the size, and loved the idea. I'm also far from being a gun snob. Matter of fact disregard everyone's warnings, and tried one out for myself being that it was so cheep... Figured I tried Kel Tecs and Tauruses, and theyve both been 100% dispite what the naysayers were saying. Wish I could say the same about the DB9.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
absolute garbage

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya know, that didnt take long :gah: I will pass this up as suggested. I just read a very long review of warranty work gone awry as well and it makes Taurus warranty look like a dream. I had never considered one of these but looked at them a couple years ago and they were selling for around 300ish. When I seen they dropped the price around 100 it made me start looking, and asking. Glad I asked though and that i kept looking, just seen that buds has the Keltec p11 new for 242 so 50 bux more, and seems to be a reliable 9mm. Maybe i will spring for that one instead, 4 more rounds and seems to be much better quality. Last thing i need is a gun that is going to go click instead of bang.

·
Registered
992 Posts
My receiver cracked after around 538 rounds, and I didn't use +P ammo. They have issues with their magazines/followers. I believe people tinker with them to make them reliable by replacing the magazine springs, deburr certain areas of the gun, etc.

I saw they make AR15s, too. Doubt that they're of any decent quality, either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my LCP and brought it home and fed it a whole box of Walmart Prefecta ammo after initial cleaning, 100 rounds of crappy, poor made, cheap, target ammo. I didnt have even to a hiccup with it and never have, not the first fail to anything. From cheap target fmj to premium bonded jhp's its ate everything ive fed it with no issues, and I trust my life to it. Im at around 350ish rounds now and it goes everywhere I go, perhaps ill just buy her one too and stick with the 380, kinda wanted 9mm but shes interested in getting her ccw so i dont wanna put this off, been trying for a couple years to get her to do it. Though I can afford the Keltec p11 and could afford a Sccy but I just dont like them. I like the Taurus pt111 but in my area its a Unicorn and they are selling them for around 300 so overpriced for sure.

Thoughts on the P11, Ive never shot any Keltec made firearms

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
This is not the 1960s anymore there are a lot of great deals on good handguns that are not junk ..Glock and Sig trade in are 300-500 bucks for a good pistol m&p same like 300 or less ..Stub nose no locks smiths 300-400

DB are crap ..There CS is ok but I mean my 380 would jam on all HP ammo and the pins walked out

The P11 is ok and takes 59 and 69 s&w so ok ..But still a cheep gun but for a compact double stack not bad but a pain for big hands to take down

·
Registered
439 Posts
What about the LCP II? I have one but haven't gotten to the range to shoot it yet. Great trigger. I have a SCCY CPX2 as well and while I like the way it shoots; the trigger sucks. Otherwise a decent little truck gun. The LC9s Pro is another good option the 9mm pocket pistol category. The .380 is just fine for what it is; a close up multi-shot derringer. I have the LC9s (not pro) and like it to shoot but don't like the way it comes apart for cleaning and what not so I don't shoot it as much as I should for that reason.

The XDS is another one worth getting that'll stand up to a lot of rounds fired through it. I did put some tape on the hand grip that's a bit too aggressive and the mag release is stiff. I expect it to get better over time.

I had to send my DB9 back because it would not feed a round into the chamber. Instead of repairing it they are supposed to be sending me a new one. The one person who said it hurts the hand to shoot it is correct. A 9mm in that small of a package just has too much snap. It reminds me of the Eastern Bloc 9mm Makarov pistol. The 9x18 has a higher pressure to give more snap and is equal to a NATO 9mm like what we use here but the Makarov Pistol is painful to shoot for some right away and for others after 50 rounds or so. It's an excellent and reliable pistol though; one of which I have shot thousands of rounds through with only one failure and I blame that on having to throw it into the dirt as the training instructor said to do then not cleaning it till I got home. After that; again no problems. It's a little heavier than the poly pistols but if that isn't a concern then you might want to at least look at them. You can get the Bulgarian made for around $260 these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel ya, wish i could spring for a sig or glock but budgets, bills and 3 kids dont allow for it. Used market in my area sucks, maybe 20-30 less then new, 50 at most but thats rare unless they know something you dont. I can pick up another LCP for 220 locally and I know it to be a good gun and ive no doubt that 380 would give someone who intended to do harm a really bad day. Keltec seems to have a good rep and is used as a backup by a lot of LEO's from what i have read, not sure I would call either of those guns (lcp or p11) cheap, maybe inexpensive but they are well made (ruger at least first hand for me). I dont intend for this to be a range gun, my lcp will probably never see 800 rounds thru it, heck ammo is too high to do that. I will how ever avoid the db9, im afraid of that one now, just doesnt give me the warm and fuzzies knowing that many people have pretty much the same issues out of them.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Ok I re read it ..So 200 bucks for a new carry gun ? You looking at a certian size or caliber?

LCP2 would be the think I would go for ..Or save a extra fin and get another gun ..And is that 200 out the door or can taxs maybe shipping ffl in place?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I re read it ..So 200 bucks for a new carry gun ? You looking at a certian size or caliber?

LCP2 would be the think I would go for ..Or save a extra fin and get another gun ..And is that 200 out the door or can taxs maybe shipping ffl in place?
Well not really 200 bucks, i just based it around that because the lcp is 220 around here and i trust it so i wouldnt buy something for 300 not knowing a lot about it, this isnt a required purchase and I can wait, just didnt want to since the wife is interested in her ccdw and its taken me 2 years to get her there. Kinda afraid if i wait she might decide that 75 dollars needs to be spent somewhere else ya know. I asked about the db9 because the last time i looked at it, they were selling around 300, i know a little bit back the Ruger lcp and taurus tcp both got reduced in price by close to 100 dollars, both of which are good guns (+1 to the lcp though) and I thought that maybe Diamondback followed suit, especially in lite of Trump taking office soon and being more gun friendly then the last US President. Its no issue, I mean i like the Keltec looks wise but this isnt a girlfriend or a trophy so im not about showing off. One of the things i love about the lcp is its looks, rather its non flashy, doesnt draw attention and just sits in my back pocket in my Desantis holster quietly waiting in case I ever need it. I like small pistols like the lcp because it means i carry them much more often, the lcp is on me all the time. I pocket carry most of the time but do have a IWB holster for it and carry that way if im in dress pants or shorts (unless they are cargo).

As for the LCP II, YESSSSSS I would love to have that gun, unfortunately it sells for around 300 and is a bit out of my price range right now. Im not one to have 15 different handguns to carry, I dont have caliber hangups and have carried a Phoenix Arms 22lr before working back on a mountain as a security guard. Mind you I dont carry 22lr unless i have to, however 380 is fine, I dont fall into that .45 or better category of thought. Will a 380 work everytime, no, neither will a 357, but for me the trade off of having something light and easy to carry means I have it, so is a 380 in the pocket better then a 40sw at home? Thats my carry mentality, im not looking to take on special forces or the next terminator, im looking to make sure my wife and kids are safe if something was to ever happen that was completely out of control and I had to defend us right there on the spot.

I avoid places that I think are problem areas, dont go to bars, clubs or anything like that. Our area is more country then city but I do frequent a larger city due to family medical visits. I try my best to pay attention to my surroundings and watch other peoples body language and if i think somethings off, im outta there, ill find law enforcement if possible or head for someplace indoors.

Sorry long winded there, anyway im not pushing for anything, just asking for opinions on those guns, db9 is out, done, gone, never gonna buy it. Keltec dont know, might buy it or might just stick with my lcp.....at least its not a Cobra 380:rolleyes:

Almost forgot to address the price the LCP is 220 pre tax, no ffl or background charge in KY so 233.20 out the door, ordering online however does incur fees, the ffls in this area seem to punish people for buying online most charge 50.00 to 75.00 to receive an ordered gun from online like buds gun shop so it makes those prices kinda null and just as easy to buy locally, though I am planning to just drive to Lexington Ky and check out buds in person, its only a couple hour drive from me, not sure if their online prices are the same in store or not.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Well not really 200 bucks, i just based it around that because the lcp is 220 around here and i trust it so i wouldnt buy something for 300 not knowing a lot about it, this isnt a required purchase and I can wait, just didnt want to since the wife is interested in her ccdw and its taken me 2 years to get her there. Kinda afraid if i wait she might decide that 75 dollars needs to be spent somewhere else ya know. I asked about the db9 because the last time i looked at it, they were selling around 300, i know a little bit back the Ruger lcp and taurus tcp both got reduced in price by close to 100 dollars, both of which are good guns (+1 to the lcp though) and I thought that maybe Diamondback followed suit, especially in lite of Trump taking office soon and being more gun friendly then the last US President. Its no issue, I mean i like the Keltec looks wise but this isnt a girlfriend or a trophy so im not about showing off. One of the things i love about the lcp is its looks, rather its non flashy, doesnt draw attention and just sits in my back pocket in my Desantis holster quietly waiting in case I ever need it. I like small pistols like the lcp because it means i carry them much more often, the lcp is on me all the time. I pocket carry most of the time but do have a IWB holster for it and carry that way if im in dress pants or shorts (unless they are cargo).

As for the LCP II, YESSSSSS I would love to have that gun, unfortunately it sells for around 300 and is a bit out of my price range right now. Im not one to have 15 different handguns to carry, I dont have caliber hangups and have carried a Phoenix Arms 22lr before working back on a mountain as a security guard. Mind you I dont carry 22lr unless i have to, however 380 is fine, I dont fall into that .45 or better category of thought. Will a 380 work everytime, no, neither will a 357, but for me the trade off of having something light and easy to carry means I have it, so is a 380 in the pocket better then a 40sw at home? Thats my carry mentality, im not looking to take on special forces or the next terminator, im looking to make sure my wife and kids are safe if something was to ever happen that was completely out of control and I had to defend us right there on the spot.

I avoid places that I think are problem areas, dont go to bars, clubs or anything like that. Our area is more country then city but I do frequent a larger city due to family medical visits. I try my best to pay attention to my surroundings and watch other peoples body language and if i think somethings off, im outta there, ill find law enforcement if possible or head for someplace indoors.

Sorry long winded there, anyway im not pushing for anything, just asking for opinions on those guns, db9 is out, done, gone, never gonna buy it. Keltec dont know, might buy it or might just stick with my lcp.....at least its not a Cobra 380:rolleyes:

Almost forgot to address the price the LCP is 220 pre tax, no ffl or background charge in KY so 233.20 out the door, ordering online however does incur fees, the ffls in this area seem to punish people for buying online most charge 50.00 to 75.00 to receive an ordered gun from online like buds gun shop so it makes those prices kinda null and just as easy to buy locally, though I am planning to just drive to Lexington Ky and check out buds in person, its only a couple hour drive from me, not sure if their online prices are the same in store or not.

My adivce

Hunt the gun auction and deal sites and maybe gun shopes for the shopes that do police trade in ..I have seen s&w 65 and the like for 279 on there ..Heck a while back so used Bretta Couger compact 40cals for like 200 bucks with 10 bucks a mag with it ..Deals are out there ...

Now if you have to have a new gun then I would say get a LCP 2 saw up and do it ...Or a p3at which will be a lot cheeper

Oh and skip the Phoneix imop weird safty and you can use the good ammo like stingers etc in it

Frankly LCP are cheep now so if you dont mind them and dont want to shell out the extra 100 bucks or so get a LCP ...

I dont mind Keltc make decent guns but to many they are the same as Taurus some good others eh

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
WAIT I got it now ..

What about a G2 taurus ? They are selling for 200 bucks now OTD brand new ..hold 12 rounds are compact and are decents guns imop ..And they use Sig 226 or such mags

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=107071

This is what I am talking about 200 bucks or so from most places ..9mm is like 10 bucks a box for 50 rounds online ..And you can use a wide range of mags in the gun from the Taurus and even sig line

It does have a re strike ablity and easy glock take down

Now not close to a sig or such but it is one of the few (other then older wheel guns like the 85s ) I would be ok with using and carrying

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If you need a gun to practice malfunction drills they are second to none.

I've had several students bring these for classes. Not one student had a malfunction free class.

They would fall two levels below a rock for usefulness.

As to using one for personal safety and carry, they'd disprove the old adage "better than nothing".

Did I mention I'm not crazy about them?

Reactions: TeflonDon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would love, absolutely love to have a pt111 g2, wanted one for so long, they are unicorns around here, no one has them, when they do they sell for like 300 bucks. Online orders around here suck cause local ffl dealers charge ridiculous amounts to receive orders from online and transfer to you. Also ive never found any shops around here that do police trade ins, most of what we have is combo gun/pawn shops with only a few legit gun stores and they rarely have any used guns for sale, if they do they are within 50 bux of the new price. Case in point a used Keltec p11 at a local dealer sold for 235 dollars, new it 275 in that shop. Meh ill look around and see and might end up buying the p11 new if i end up going to Lexington and can go to buds.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts