Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Illinois and granted concealed carry will enact here sometime in June. I have a Springfield XDm .45 acp compact which I love. What do you think about it as far as every day carry?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I dont have exp. with the Springfield, but .45 is a great caliber. It was my first carry as well. I now carry G19, I like the round count. Oh and of course the simplicity of the gun.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm from Illinois and granted concealed carry will enact here sometime in June. I have a Springfield XDm .45 acp compact which I love. What do you think about it as far as every day carry?
I heartily approve of your choice of caliber. Time will reveal what the new law will be for you and your fellow citizens of Illinois. let's hope that the new law will be one that may be used as a model for other states.

Unfortunately, our far-left legislators in the current General Assembly of the State of Colorado have chosen to take steps that appear hostile to freedom loving 2nd Amendment advocates, like me.

As time passes, I hope that you have many, many Illinois citizens join you by getting their CCW, too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I carry a Walther PPS, but I have nothing but praise for the XDs. It is an outstanding EDC and I am confident you will love it. Congratulations!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I have no experience with the XDs but my friend has had one for about 3 months & loves it. He's very short & slim but he conceals it well. I wouldn't mind owning one myself. I like .45 but have settled on .40s&w & am on my second .40 gun right now with an M&P 40C coming soon (I hope).

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You'll be fine. While not my personal favorite, the XD platform is quite proven. The guy that runs our shoots is a big XD fan, and has his own cult following. Haven't seen one grenade yet.

45 is an excellent way to go as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
As long as you have confidence in your gun and you practice, practice, practice with it then you are set to go with it as your EDC.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
No experience with em myself (yet), but the xd's are definitely one of the proven brands with tons of people that use them. If it has proven reliable for you, I say your set.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
For what it's worth, my advice is to carry it daily and see how you like it. I tried a bunch of stuff before I found a snub .357 that was comfortable for me to wear every day. I've heard the expression that guns are supposed to be "comforting" rather than "comfortable", but personally, I don't buy that. Obviously, you want something that is reliable and has some stopping power, but like I said, you'll be carrying it a lot more than you'll be shooting it.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
If your XDm is reliable and you shoot it accurately, it will make an excellent EDC. If it fails on either or both of those accounts, you should find a different firearm which passes the reliability and accuracy test.

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
My buddy EDC a full size 1911 He's about 6 foot has a pouch, wears slightly larger clothes and keeps it in a Crossbreed Holster.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
No experience with the SA XD guns, but from everyone I know who has one loves it. As to the .45. It's a proven round, if you do your part, it'll do it's part.

As to CC in IL. While the courts have given the state a deadline, it did not give rules on how to implement it. Just my guess, but IL will be a "May Issue" state, will honor no other permits, and make it almost impossible for someone to obtain a permit, especially if you're in the Chicago area.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Depending on your method of carry, and XDm can either be fine or way too hard to conceal, it is not a small gun at all.

Not to rain on your parade, and I really hope I'm wrong about this, but what are the chances that you actually get an IL permit? From what I'm reading, they're expected to make it "may issue" on paper. Realistically speaking, so are NJ and MD, but it's almost impossible for "normal people" to get one.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
There is all sorts of talk on what Illinois may do. there has been a few different things that came up and nothing solid yet. In the last couple weeks they were even talking of if they pass a shall issue it may exempt Chicago.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
Do not understand why so many ask strangers what is best for them. I have no idea if you are a small or large, male or female or both. :) Do not know how well you shoot a .45. Certainly do not know of any medical conditions, your carry preference or anything else about you that would help me answer your question. Unless you put value in uninformed opinions, you best decided for yourself or ask a local instructor.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
For what it's worth, my advice is to carry it daily and see how you like it. I tried a bunch of stuff before I found a snub .357 that was comfortable for me to wear every day. I've heard the expression that guns are supposed to be "comforting" rather than "comfortable", but personally, I don't buy that. Obviously, you want something that is reliable and has some stopping power, but like I said, you'll be carrying it a lot more than you'll be shooting it.
Sound advice there from Gene83. If you find the XD works well for you then have no worries. They are superb pistols that will serve you well.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,126 Posts
I have been carrying concealed for over twenty years. Only you can decide what works for you. I have gone through many guns, holsters, and carry positions. Every so often, I take a large bag or box of lightly used holsters and accessories to my LGS and get a credit on future purchases. They all seemed like a great idea at the time.

If you can dress around the gun, you can carry much more gun than if your dress is dictated by your job or your fashion choices. I saw a guy around 5’ 6” and 125 pounds with jeans and an oversized hoodie conceal carrying an S&W 500 with an 8 3/8” barrel in a shoulder holster. The gun went from his armpit to past his hip. I carried my Desert Eagle 50 AE and two spare magazines on my belt all day around senior LEOs at work to win a bet with a LEO friend that I couldn’t do it. No one noticed until I showed them after work.

The first time I carried concealed was to dinner with my wife. It was an S&W J-frame revolver in the small of my back like the detectives on television and in the movies. It made a loud thunk when I sat down in the booth with a wood back. It hurt to set back. I next tried it in an ankle holster. It printed badly, was uncomfortable to wear, and difficult to reach. My current personal EDC is one of my government size 1911s and a spare magazine on my belt. I also carry a Sig P238 .380 in a pocket holster and a spare magazine.

·
Registered
617 Posts
The gun will do very well. The holster you pick for CC is a serious choice as well. Most of us have a duffel bag full of holsters that don't get used for one reason or another. For myself, a Crossbreed Supertuck deluxe has proven to be the most comfortable, and easy to conceal with full-size pistols (or smaller too)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts