Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a good deal on this ammo $65.00 for 200 rounds, think if may be a little hot for my PM9 but do you think it will be aright for my S&W 5906? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
I think it would probably be fine but I would make sure I replaced my springs religiously.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Fed. 9PB ( non +P) was once very sucessful as a LEO round used up north. Perp shot = pert stopped. If this is the same bullet with a hotter charge it is probably a good defense round.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
9MM 115 grain hot HP loads

Cor-Bon +P is actually hotter.
I've chronoed both out of my PM9 (IMO either is a good defensive load).
Federal +P+ @ 1149 F.P.S.
Cor-Bon +P @ 1215 F.P.S.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Got a good deal on this ammo $65.00 for 200 rounds, think if may be a little hot for my PM9 but do you think it will be aright for my S&W 5906? Thanks for your help.
Per the S&W Owner's manual:

Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith &
Wesson firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that
it exceeds established industry standards, but the designation
does not represent defined pressure limits and therefore such
ammunition may vary significantly as to the pressures generated.

Search Results: 5906 manual
Matt

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
You're going to carry that for PD ammo right? If you're not running that through your pistol all of the time like range ammo, I wouldn't think you would have any problems in either pistol. I keep spare recoil springs for all of my pistols JIC. That's just my opinion on running +P+ out of your pistols. The 115gr+P+ will likely be a bit easier on them than 124gr or 147gr+P's. But then again, you'll just be testing these for carry right?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The 9BPLE load is the classic +P+ LE load that has had exceptional stopping power results as reported by Evan Marshall and others. I use it in all my 9mm SD guns. If you don't shoot too much of it at the range, you shouldn't have any problems...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for carry, plan to shoot a few just to make sure they feed well. Thanks for everyone's input, a lot to be learned on this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a big fan of 9PBLE. I get 1328 fps average in my Glock 19.

As previous posters have mentioned, many LE organizations have used this load and been very happy with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I stand corrected, the Fed. round was the 9BPLE that was so effective with LEO's in Illinosis for example.. Thanks TX-JB for the prompt.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My agency was the one who worked with Federal to develop BPLE. We carried it for several years and I investigated several shootings where it was used. It performed very well. No complaints. I'd use it again today even tho it is "old technology". It can be found at pretty reasonable prices too.
As far as the +P+ hurting your 5906. We were issued the 5904 which is the same as the 5906 but with an alloy frame and blued slide. One of our range guys got tired of hearing others say the +P+ will ruin a gun so he decided to see how many rds his 5904 would take before it was destroyed. He documented every +P+ rd he fired. He replaced the barrel at 50,000 rds after the orginal rifling began to show it was getting shot out and smooth pretty smooth. He also replaced the springs. When he retired he had documented 80,000 +P+ rds. He bought that gun when he retired. When I last saw him 2 yrs ago he was still shooting that same gun. Knowing how much he shoots he had to have fired over 100,000 by that time.
If you can afford to shoot 80,000 rds thru any gun then figure the cost. You bought 200 rds for $65. 80,000 rds would cost you $26,000. Now figure how long it will take you to shoot those 80,000 rds. If you shoot 100 rds a week, every week without fail, 52 weeks a yr, it will take you over 15 yrs of shooting.
Will your particular 5906 go 80,000 to 100,000 rds? Who knows. Might not last 20,000 rds, might go well over 100,000. Our range officer didn't know when he started out with his was an off the rack, nothing special 5904.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Who's your hook up?

Are you going to share the source, or be a stingy guy and not cut the rest of us in on the ammo deal?

Come on...spill...

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I got a pretty good deal not too long ago at Ammunition to go. They had the 50 round boxes for under $20, if I remember correctly. They don't have any right now, I was looking at their site today.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
The 9BPLE has been putting badguys down with regularity for years.

I have some stocked away and some in my one 9mm. I have no question as to it's effectiveness. It's one load I wouldn't hesitate to use, old technology or not.

Biker

1 - 15 of 15 Posts