Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a lever gun in .44 mag. And was looking at the Henry models. What's your take on them? Quality, accuracy, reliability, ect.
I know Marlin and winchester make a .44 mag carbine/rifle as well how do these compare to Henry's? It would be for hunting deer and target shooting.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Do you plan to scope it? I personally prefer Winchester lever rifles but as far as I know, they will require you to mount a side mount scope. The Henry rifles sure do look great but I have never shot one. The Marlin would probably be the easiest to find and would be a workhorse of a rifle. To bad Browning does not chamber the .44 RM in the BLR as these rifles are superbly accurate and strong.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I have a Henry in 357 and a newly acquired Marlin in 44:

The Henry is well made and a fine looking firearm. I don’t care for the tube loading, I truly wish they convert all of their rifles to side gate, but I don’t lose sleep over it. It is what it is. I’ve swapped the sights to Skinner Sights and that was well worth the investment. I haven’t spent any bench time at 100 so I cannot give you specifics on MOA but for all the plinking I’ve done, I’m very happy with accuracy. It’s been 100% since day one for dependability. I’d do it again, in terms of buying the Henry, but I wish they’d side load their damned rifles. It’s otherwise a superior lever piece of hardware. Oh, mine is the 20” and I wouldn’t change that, I’m happy.

I was convinced, by a friend, that Marlins were better rifles than I expected so I found a decent deal on the little SS carbine, 1894. It was NIB but second hand. I’ve only shot it a couple of times, again just plinking, and at 50 yards I was pretty impressed with accuracy and grouping. It holds them tight. All my shooting thus far has been factory, 44 Special. The factory sights will do me just fine. I’ll disable and replace the stupid safety on it and forgive them for that. I don’t like the look of laminate stock but I like the rifle enough that so far I’m overlooking the stock. For money, there is a synthetic replacement available. The CNC and machining are surprisingly high quality, very nicely done. However, I don’t think they spent 5 minutes deburring the bugger. There are sharp little edges all over the interior of the action. That will need to be addressed. My second time shooting I cycled the rifle to chamber the 4th round and the lever locked up, fully forward. It’s tighter than Dick’s hat band. So either I’ve got a burr in there, and I or my smith will have to address it, or it’s the dreaded Marlin lever / timing issue that I’m now reading a little about. This happened a couple of weeks ago and the day before I had back surgery so the rifle has been sitting in the safe with rounds in the magazine and the action open. I will not condemn that Marlin for this problem. I think there is a lot of potential in it so I’ll get this issue fixed and get the action smoothed up. If something happens after that, I may have a hard re-evaluation.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I have had a .22 Henry lever action for about 12 years. It is more accurate than my 10-22. The action was smooth as silk out of the box. IMO the Henry is one of the best lever actions currently produced! Their CS is stellar IME. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
I have the 1894 Marlin in .44 mag - have not shot it yet, but I do concur that the factory could have done better in de-burring this weapon before sending it out the door. Having said that, the action is amazingly still quite smooth, considering.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I have a Rossi 92 lever gun, in .44 mag. Side gate loading. Had it for a couple of years now, with no complaints. It's my favorite rifle to shoot.

Rossi makes nice lever guns. On Bud's Guns they have one model with a 16 inch barrel, and one with a 20 inch barrel.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a Winchester and a Marlin. I have no Henry, but I have heard great things about them. I went to school with the guy who owns the company that makes the receivers for Henry, and they are a top-notch group.
I want one of those new stainless/synthetic ones, but they don't make it in.44-40 (yet).

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,891 Posts
I have owned Henry rifles. They are accurate and reliable. I just don't like the tube loading.

I have Winchester '94 lever-action rifles in .30-30, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum.

·
Premium Member
4,104 Posts
I have owned Henry rifles. They are accurate and reliable. I just don't like the tube loading.

I have Winchester '94 lever-action rifles in .30-30, .45 Colt, and .44 magnum.

View attachment 332623
LimaCharlie, Henry has come out with side gate loading on some of their calibers so you have two options for loading.
I hope they do it with some more models. If they do I may be buying more.

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I have a Marlin in 357 mag and a Henry in 22. The Henry is smooth and a pleasurer to shoot. The Marlin was rough right out of the box and got worse over time. Ended up sitting in the safe for years. I finally sent it back to Marlin and they fixed it on their dime. Don't remember all they did but they did put in a upgraded lifter and upgraded lever. It's ok now just not my favorite.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I would like to get a lever gun in .44 mag. And was looking at the Henry models. What's your take on them? Quality, accuracy, reliability, ect.
I know Marlin and winchester make a .44 mag carbine/rifle as well how do these compare to Henry's? It would be for hunting deer and target shooting.
Have a 357 case hardened carbine...excellent rife and accurate....did change partridge out to fiber optic...68 year old eyes demanded them!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Paul Harrell did a video, Pistol Caliber Carbines or, something like that. At one point, there were significant pauses in between shots but since the camera was pointed at the target, the firearm was not in view. Paul came back on camera and explained that the Henry rifle malfunctioned multiple times. He went on to say that the rifle felt so badly that, off camera, the Henry went down range and committed suicide with an M16!

·
Premium Member
4,317 Posts
Both of my Henrys are rimfires. The 44 is a Winchester 94. The 357 is a Browning 92. The general consensus is the Henrys are pretty good reliable weapons.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
The only lever I own is a late 1950s Winchester Model 88 in .243 that is scoped with something from the same period. So no experience owing a Henry but I have shot a few. Buying something new, I would buy a Henry without thinking twice. The ones I have handled and/or shot were butter smooth. I love how they look and that everything is made in America down to the steel. One day I will have one, probably a carbine in 45.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I didn't know Henry came out out with a side gate .44 mag. I like it. Looks good and comes with modern upgrades. What's not to like ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts