Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post; looks like a great forum.

I live in PA and I have been carrying CC for about a year, and OC for the last month or so.

I spend as much time as possible on my streetbike as opposed to my car. All year; I don't care, I love it, motorcycles are my passion.

...and guns are becoming another passion, as is my increasingly strong desire to excersize my rights.

I know that to OC in a car you have to have your carry permit, which I do.

I'm guessing the same goes for motorcycles, but have never really heard anything concrete.

I currently CC with an IWB holster, and open carry with a Kydex retention holster.

But when I ride, I'm ATGATT (all the gear all the time), so with leathers, boots, gloves, helmet, etc, if I have to draw my pistol in a hurry, I'm screwed if I'm carrying concealed. So I've been considering a thigh rig for use on the bike.

When I'm all geared up, a thigh rig would allow quick and easy access to my firearm.

Crashing with the gun is a concern, and of course I'm not seriously considering having to use the gun while riding, but having access to it in parking lots, etc is my primary concern.

So, who carries while riding? Anyone with thoughts or advice on the subject is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

When on my Harley, it's tucked IWB/SOB...against the kidney, out of the wind, unseen by others, and easily retrieved.

ret :31:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the type of gear I use, especially my winter riding gear, there's no practical way to have instant access if carrying concealed.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would equate the prohibition against OC in a "car" as a prohibition against OC in/on a motor vehicle. Thus, I'd not OC on a bike.

The fact that you are wearing leathers means that you need to think about what you carry and where. A small .380 or snubby in a shoulder rig would work and all you'd need to do is unzip your jacket while parking / visiting for access in an emergency.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a firm ATGATT believer also, and have also been considering a thigh rig. For now I carry one of three ways: IWB SOB with an Uncle Mike's, on my hip in a Don Hume JIT, or in the Uncle Mike's in my tank bag.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm assuming you wear riding gloves. Is it even possible to shoot in those?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
IWB when riding. Have done some with sholder holster.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I carry on my MC all the time, but I am afraid I can't help with any OC/ease of access ideas other than maybe just stick it in a small tankbag or something. I always carry concealed; and when in my gear it's pretty difficult to get to, but I have never considered that much of an issue for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I carry IWB also but want a better way in case of a get off , thinking of gettin a tankbag with a special pocket if i can find one. nice viffer i used to have a 1999 , did you hear bout the vfr1200 comming soon?? Id like to see someone incorporate a gunvault with quick access in the top of the tank

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
maybe you can figure out a way to mount a holster to your bike? that way, you'd risk less injury to you or your gun.

in PA, you definitely need an LTCF to carry while riding, even if you're doing it openly. for more detailed statutes pertaining to PA, check out Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association, if you're not already a member.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Issues

Rider safety, you don't want to fall on your gun:if you fall where to carry the gun where it will do the least harm. Broken backs are bad.

Gun safety
Will the gun be secure from loss, road dirt, theft.
Is the holster a safe type?

Can you store it on the bike is you have to go where it is not allowed to carry open or concealed? How likely is your bike to be stolen with the gun attached? Is it safe to leave your gun with the bike?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
inside the pants holster, shoulder holster, and some times in the windsheild bag. but, no matter which way i got a mouse gun in my pocket.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
With the type of gear I use, especially my winter riding gear, there's no practical way to have instant access if carrying concealed.
Bug , inside pocket of my leather jacket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, and yes, I have been drooling over the new VFR12 wishing I was a rich guy...

My bike doesn't have any under seat storage space, so leaving the gun with the bike is not an option. Besides, since I can carry, oc or cc, there's no point in leaving the gun behind no matter where I go...

That thigh pack looks pretty good; definately something I'll consider. Looks like a great option for carrying more than just a firearm. Unfortunately they're out of stock...

Thanks for all the replies...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks, and yes, I have been drooling over the new VFR12 wishing I was a rich guy...

My bike doesn't have any under seat storage space, so leaving the gun with the bike is not an option. Besides, since I can carry, oc or cc, there's no point in leaving the gun behind no matter where I go...

That thigh pack looks pretty good; definately something I'll consider. Looks like a great option for carrying more than just a firearm. Unfortunately they're out of stock...

Thanks for all the replies...
gezz, I think they are out of stock about 90% of the time :rolleyes:just give them a call and see what there lead time is

1 - 17 of 17 Posts