Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting awfully curious about the FN 15 Tactical Carbine. I'm looking for a carbine around $1,000 and can get the FN for around this price. Anyone have it? What are your thoughts?

Happy Fathers Day!

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
The FN M16 is all I ever carried in the service. I have no doubt as to their ability to put a semi auto hammer and sear in the same quality rifle. The DoD replaced Colts with FN. Looks like FN priced their carbine to compete with the Colt 6920.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
FN15 or a Colt 6920 will do you just fine for around $1000. I would bet the colt would hold it's value better for whatever that's worth. I don't know if the commercial FN15 is a true representation of it's military counterpart, but I know for a fact the colt 6920 is a true spitting image of the M4A1 upper other then the 16 inch barrel with the M4A1 having a 14". Just make sure the bolt and carrier is trully mill spec and chromed properly. FN makes some of the best barrels out there and I'm sure it's worth the money.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm considering the FN 15 TC against the Windham MPC (I'm comparing iron sight to iron sight). Both have their minimalist merits while the FN offers a bit more romance. For my intended HD purposes, I'm going with iron sights because I don't plan to use this particular weapon for anything more than 200 yards out. Admittedly, the 1:7 twist of the FN is more appealing, but ultimately I know the 1:9 of the Windham is more than sufficient.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FN M16 is all I ever carried in the service. I have no doubt as to their ability to put a semi auto hammer and sear in the same quality rifle. The DoD replaced Colts with FN. Looks like FN priced their carbine to compete with the Colt 6920.
An argument for the FN 15 Rifle I would think. Although I've heard the M16 had a better trigger.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
From all the data I can find the FN15 isn't built to the standard that the colt 6920. If you find info that states it's trully as mil spec as it's m16/M4 counterpart then go for it. I'm just reading on forums with guys who have handled them saying they're not built to the same specs. Biggest corner cuts with these bigger named companies is they don't chrome the inner portion of the carrier and gas keys. If they don't advertise that they do it usually means they don't and have outsourced the guts to save of cost.

It's hard to beat a 6920 and you can't buy a complete rifle for the same cost for the quality your getting. So in short, it seems nobody can say if the FN15 is trully done correctly, but the colt 6920 is. It has been the bench mark for all others to compare too. It's considered the base line for a true quality AR15.

The only difference between the 6920 and M4A1 is the semiautomatic lowers and a longer barrel profile. Otherwise they are trully identical.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
FN15 or a Colt 6920 will do you just fine for around $1000. I would bet the colt would hold it's value better for whatever that's worth. I don't know if the commercial FN15 is a true representation of it's military counterpart, but I know for a fact the colt 6920 is a true spitting image of the M4A1 upper other then the 16 inch barrel with the M4A1 having a 14". Just make sure the bolt and carrier is trully mill spec and chromed properly. FN makes some of the best barrels out there and I'm sure it's worth the money.
I have not inventoried the entire US Army, but from 1996-2009 I only saw FN M4's. Plus, they make the M2, M240, M249, MK19... I'm guessing they know how to make a milspec carbine. The only Colts I saw were M16's.

·
Registered
603 Posts
The FN's "fancy" handguards look good and feel good when held in the hand. I like them better than any stock handguards.

If you like it, buy it and enjoy. I am reasonably certain you will be pleased.

·
8,501 Posts
OP, I looked up the exact model. It appears to come with quite a few upgrades over a standard M4. $1000 looks like a very good price.

As stated above, FN makes great products.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have not inventoried the entire US Army, but from 1996-2009 I only saw FN M4's. Plus, they make the M2, M240, M249, MK19... I'm guessing they know how to make a milspec carbine. The only Colts I saw were M16's.
The M4A1 I carried at the front gate was a Colt. This was in 2013 time frame. I know FN makes good firearms or I wouldn't carry a FNS compact everyday. I'm Navy by the way so maybe the Army is using the newer inventory.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I somehow got locked out of my account here so the admins sent me a new password.

I held a Windham MPC today and I'm leaning that direction. It's got the simplicity I'm looking for as I intend to keep this carbine for pure utility self-defense. The FN is also nice but a little bit more, and I'm not completely sold that the extra cost is necessary.

I'm "downgrading" significantly as I'm going to sell my IWI Tavor (less than 1,000 rounds through it)- it is a phenomenal bullpup with easy-to-use fire controls, great Mepro 21 day/night optics, and it's really accurate. I simply concluded that for the price of my Tavor, I could add a few more standard ARs to the stable if I wanted, and they will essentially do the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts