Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CORRECTION: I realized after posting that the C308 is not actually a FN/FAL design, but more of an HK G3 knockoff, so I have edited and my questions still stand.

Most of the talk here on "military-style sporting rifles" is about AKs, ARs and their "cousins." But I don't see as much discussion of the G3 designs, which are pretty tried and true.

I prefer .308/7.62 to 5.56 and the following post has a G3 knockoff for a nice price. Any thoughts on that design in general vs. an AR or AK design? Any thoughts on this model in particular?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...-arms-c308-308-win-18-barrel-20-rd-599-a.html

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
That's not a FAL.

That's a HK91(G3) clone.

And, while Century seems to be getting their, ahem, "poop in a group" when it comes to quality control...their track record is iffy, at best.

For a few hundred more, you can get a PTR91 from CDNN. Much wiser buy, IMHO.

As far as getting something like it or a FAL?

They're both great platforms, rugged, and reliable. The HK has an advantage of having very cheap surplus magazines (I've seen them as low as $5). I've got a couple of the HK'(one HK91, and a PTR which I actually shoot more...), and like it quite a bit.

I've also shot several FAL's, and like them as well; I need to pick one up one of these days.

Really wouldn't go wrong with either.

Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
As noted, the C308 is a H&K 91 clone.

If you want a FAL clone, DSA would be the place to start looking.

Reactions: marcclarke

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Mine pictured: DSA SA58 "Para" with DSA top cover and Vortex Viper PST 1-4X:

Really, really like the FAL as a "battle rifle" within it's limitations. It's "minute of man" accurate, pictured I was shooting 2/3rds IDPA steel silhouettes at 500m, heavy (as is ammo), but very, very reliable (as long as you set the gas correctly for your ammo, or just over gas it). Back when I bought it, DSA was selling surplus mags for $5 per, some I got were new, un-issued and throwing in new mag springs, so I bought 30 of them. With the DSA you get a new Badger barrel (or did) and mine holds about 1-1.5 MOA with reloads and 1.5-2 with surplus (not that you can find any anymore).

Between the HK (and clones) I prefer the FAL mostly due to ergonomics and the last shot hold open. The FAL is just "laid out right", I also find it easier to clean the way the receivers split. The G3 is a PITA to chamber a round while prone due to the charging handle location. Also the FAL DOESN'T try to send my brass into the next county and put flutes on them. The G3 design personifies "positive extraction", whereas with the FAL I can dial the gas down to make neat little piles a couple feet away.

Biggest reason you see talk of the 7.62 battle rifles drying up is because the surplus 7.62 has dried up......I reload and can still reload 5.56 for a lot cheaper than I can 7.62. So a lot of the 7.62 guys pull there guns out periodically, stroke them, put them away and grab a .223 to head to the range.

Chuck

·
Registered
199 Posts
I carried an L1A1 SLR for 13 years. The FAL design is extremely rugged and very versatile. The adjustable gas regulator allows you to tune the gas to what your current needs are (ammo change or fouling). The rifle and ammo are heavy when considered against todays common platforms, but is beneficial to assist with the recoil. If you compare the FAL to other rifles in the same or similar calibres (M14, M1A or Garands) the weights are all in the same ballpark.

Now I'm in AZ instead of CA an inch pattern FAL is in my future purchase list.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
The gun you listed the C308 is a mix master gun ..CEMETE and G3 parts

It is not even a true HKG3 clone ..As it can take both mags (a true Cemete or G3 would only take one or the other though they have the same style roller lock)

The gun you posted the new models are GTG for the price as the Reciver and Barrel group is made by PTR for Century ...So for the price sub 700 they are good stuff ..AVOID the old ones they range from very good to widow makers ..

And yeah FAL are a very cool gun ..I very much like it ...But they are not what you listed

DSA is about the only company makeing full FAL now ..But a cople of people make uppers for them ( the upper is the FFL part on a FAL) and plenty of kits out there ...It boils down to what you want and what style you want ..Para , HBAR etc etc then from there ... And of courese plenty of nice pre ban ones the SAR48 and the such come to the mind of the Argtitian made ones that are very nice ..Oh and yeah there is Inch ( brit and other parts of the world under the spea) and mertic where it can get weird on mags ..Metric is the most commen here though some weirld mix master cenutry guns that use both parts are out and again eh

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I've had several FN FAL variants, enjoyed ALL of them. As for the HK 91 clones, I never really wanted one. :gah:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts