Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edited

Hi folks - I've been lurking for a couple months but this is my first post here at CombatCarry. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.

I have an opportunity to get a guy named Robin Brown down to the Houston area to teach a two-day course in his Quick Kill (QK) system.

I'm interested if anyone has any experience with Threat-Focused shooting or if anyone would like to learn more about it. Post your questions or comments - the debate has already started :)

Stay safe -
David W.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Well welcome to the forum, but Houston too far for me

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Welcome aboard :smilez:

Sounds more than interesting but way beyond my AO - sounds like QKShooter might be interested tho - in principle :wink:

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
David

Well, I call them as I see them and your introductory post IS a sales pitch.:yup:

Normally, the forum moderators and the administrator would likely frown on a brand new member registering & making their very first forum post a sales pitch to offer an instruction course but, this absolutely would be "money well spent" for any forum member living in or around Houston that wants to glean/learn something of true value from Robin Brown.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the "welcome aboard"

Yeah - sorry about that being my first post.
It kinda was a sales pitch, now that you mention it - but my point was that I'm not making any money off of the deal - I'm just trying to generate enough interest so I can get Brownie down here.

Either way - thanks for the warm welcome and I hope to learn some good stuff here.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Welcome.

Too far for me, but interesting none the less.

·
Registered
529 Posts
God forbid you have to use this training, and then the lawyer trying to BBQ your bottom in court brings up the fact you went to a school called "Quick Kill"...

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why do you say that?

"Avoid this system" is usually a statement made by those who have no idea what threat-focused shooting is really about.

I would submit that if you find yourself in civil court trying to defend your actions then you have bigger problems than the name of the system you learned - would you not agree?

If all you have to say is "for all that is good and holy, avoid Mr. Brown and Quick Kill" - then you're not really contributing. Would you care to explain your views?

If you don't agree with the system, then you don't agree with the system. But if you're going to try to talk it down then you should come prepared.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
How about "Mr. Brown, for the sake for your students who might one day end up in court, change the name of your program."

Matt

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys gotta be kidding me.

You're wrapped up in the name because you're afraid of having to go to court? I think you've got your priorities mixed up. Although, I'm sure somewhere there's a study that shows that the course material improves dramatically once a course has a PC name.

I didn't realize that we had to tailor our training to appease the lawyers.

No sure if anyone notices the irony - but you all contribute to a forum called COMBAT carry.... what would the lawyers think of THAT????

·
Super Moderator
13,104 Posts
Pickpocket,

Is this the point shooting method that involves shooting one-handed from the hip, using the middle finger to pull the trigger?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Pickpocket said:
I would submit that if you find yourself in civil court trying to defend your actions then you have bigger problems than the name of the system you learned - would you not agree?

My point was simply this:

Reality check...

If, God forbid, you are involved in a shooting, and even if it is ruled justified (IE: Doesn't go to criminal court), you can count on, not "wonder if", but count on being the target of a civil suit.

When the attorney. "Saul Moneygrubowitz" is trying to portray you as some gun-toting whacko, having a record of attending a class called "Quick Kill" could sound pretty scary to lay-persons on the jury, yes?

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Pickpocket said:
You guys gotta be kidding me.

You're wrapped up in the name because you're afraid of having to go to court? I think you've got your priorities mixed up. Although, I'm sure somewhere there's a study that shows that the course material improves dramatically once a course has a PC name.

I didn't realize that we had to tailor our training to appease the lawyers.

No sure if anyone notices the irony - but you all contribute to a forum called COMBAT carry.... what would the lawyers think of THAT????
Situational awareness goes beyond the tactical, my friend.

Depending on the jurisdiction one lives in, this sort of thing is a valid concern.

Matt

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
OK- "Shootin' Iron Academy"
MD- "Lethal Force Institute"
AZ- "Gunsite"

"Thunder Ranch" is about the most mundane:biggrin2: .

Yeah, I'm curious too. #, link?

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's "a" point-shooting method, but no - that's not what we're teaching.

Congrats on recognizing a point-shooting method, though!
What you're describing is actually a method of "reflexive shooting" taught by the military. Weak hand on the handguards of your carbine, gripped so that your index finger points straight along the axis of the barrel.

What QK teaches is the use of a 'reference point' which is established by the visual relationship between your weapon and the threat - using your peripheral vision. Try this exercise:
Focus on something directly in front of you on the far side of the room. Choose an object in your peripheral vision at about 65-degrees either to the left or the right, and then point at it with your finger without shifting your focal point. Once you've pointed at your chosen object, move your head to see where your finger is pointed. Cool, huh?

And it only gets better from there.

·
Super Moderator
23,593 Posts
Pickpocket said:
That's "a" point-shooting method, but no - that's not what we're teaching.
Are you an instructor? Why do you say "what we're teaching"?

Have I missed something here? Please explain yourself.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weeg said:
My point was simply this:

Reality check...

If, God forbid, you are involved in a shooting, and even if it is ruled justified (IE: Doesn't go to criminal court), you can count on, not "wonder if", but count on being the target of a civil suit.
You're right - you can pretty much bet that you're going to be the target of a civil suit. You have that problem regardless of the name of the system that you learned. The same argument could be made of those who attend "Tactical" classes, or the combatives guys who train with edged weapons, or any number of other things.
Weeg said:
When the attorney. "Saul Moneygrubowitz" is trying to portray you as some gun-toting whacko, having a record of attending a class called "Quick Kill" could sound pretty scary to lay-persons on the jury, yes?
Reality check...
They're going to portray you that way no matter what. You're attempting to hang the entire outcome of a (hypothetical) civil suit resulting from a justified SD shooting on the name of the system being learned. It just doesn't wash.
What formal training have you had? Any chance that the names of the courses or the material taught within could perhaps be scary to the lay-persons on a jury?

MattLarson said:
Situational awareness goes beyond the tactical, my friend.

Depending on the jurisdiction one lives in, this sort of thing is a valid concern.
I understand situational awareness - I don't see where I gave the impression that I was not.
If you are overly concerned - for whatever reason - about the name of the course, then it's not for you, end of story. Mr. Larson - if you are in Florida then I highly doubt you have this problem.
I'm not going to get into a debate over the name of a system - it's absolutely ridiculous.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rob72 - Check your messages

Rock and Glock said:
Are you an instructor? Why do you say "what we're teaching"?

Have I missed something here? Please explain yourself.
No, I'm not an instructor. I am, however, working towards becoming the licensed instructor for the Texas region. I won't be teaching this course, nor will I be profiting from it. Robin Brown will personally be instructing this particular course. Perhaps the "we" was misleading - sorry about that.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts