• Thumb Break

Votes: 42 23.6%
  • No Thumb Break

Votes: 136 76.4%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Whether I use a thumb break or any type of retention system depends on what I am doing. If I am riding my horse or atv I want a retention system, for me this sometimes means thumb break.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
No thumb break holsters for me, especially IWB. If....I say if I ever entertained the idea of a thumb break holster, it would be for OWB carry. The only holsters I've ever had that were thumb break were shoulder holsters.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Are you a highly active person who will be carrying while being active? Like running, biking, motorcycling, rock climbing ... anything where you might potentially find yourself upside down or taking a spill?

If the answer to any of those is yes, then get a thumb break. The advantages/disadvantages are simple:

Thumb breaks adds an extra measure of retention at the expense of draw speed. Simple.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have and use more than one holster for everything.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My primary holsters...Don Hume H721 OT for my Glock 27 & H720 OT for my XD .45 Compact.

S&W 642 leather IWB

NO restraints!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My main two holsters both have Thumb breaks. Im also very active and have to many holster including kydex holsters that the retention was just not enough for me. I also realize that it slows down my draw, Ive got several though that dont.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The secret to a thumb break is practice. I have some of each type of holster for the various guns that I own and they have different uses. But I can also say that the thumb break does not noticeably slow my draw, because I have practiced to the point that it is naturally unsnapped as a part of gripping my weapon. I have also done this, under pressure when my life depended on it, from a triple retention duty holster. It is all in the level of commitment to practicing your draw until you can do it seamlessly, then practicing it a bunch more to be sure. I will say that none of my IWB holsters have thumb breaks though, but like I said, different holsters for different uses.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Only ONE of my holsters has a thumb break and thats my shoulder rig. My IWB has no thumb break nor does my OWB (serpa level 2). It is a matter of practice but also PERSONAL PREFERENCE when it comes to choosing retention systems or lack of one.
-Steve

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
The only time I want a Thumb Break is when I am open carrying, and I actually want more retention than just a Thumb Break in that situation. Along with Open Carry, riding a horse, ATV, or crawling through brush is when one will find benefit from a Thumb Break.

If I'm carrying concealed I have no desire for a Thumb Break, as I very seldom find myself standing on my head when I'm carrying.

Biker

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thumb break, worked retail security for a few yrs and got into some knock down fights with perps where they tried to snatch my pistol. All that got them was the crap beaten out of them + jail time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a G&G pancake holster with a thumb break that I wear a lot in the winter, None of my IWB holsters have a thumb break. For open carry or if I plan to be active, I prefer a thumb break or my Serpa. I do dry practice with both the thumb break and the Serpa.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
No need for a thumb break especially with a IWB holster. :wink:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Just a thought - get one with Thumb Break and just leave it unsnapped.

I have a leather holster and when OC I snap and use the thumb break. When CC under a shirt, jacket or something I leave unsnapped. Fits pretty good & secure without the thumb break snapped but like it when OC which is rare.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
My answer is "Maybe".
I like a thumb break if I was carrying "cocked and locked" where the hammer could fall on the strap if for any reason the hammer dropped.
Otherwise, no. I'm not fighting hand to hand like the LEO's might be, so my firearm stays put.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got both types. The question you have to ask is: "Does it have enough retention for what I'm going to use it for?" Well-molded and tight kydex IWB probably has enough and won't need a thumb break, esp if it is going to be hidden underneath clothing most of the time. Leather OWB on the other hand might be better with a thumb break, esp when open carrying.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
For concealed carry, it's no thumb break.

Open carry I prefer a thumb break for extra retention.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
As a former LEO back in the cretaceous period, I prefer a thumb break holster. I consider the most likely circumstance of use vs. Murphy’s Law.
Regards,
Dan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts