Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another beautiful day here today, so I decided to go to a friends farm and run a few rounds through my new Tikka T3x Lite chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. The rifle is wearing a Leupold VX3 in Warne scope rings. Temperature was between 68 and 70 with a 5-10 mph gusty wind. This rifle really likes the cheap factory Remington 150 grain Core-Lokts. I normally don't try 5 shot groups with sporter weight rifles but this one load grouped very well, so I went for the 5 shot. Had a nice group with the first 3 shots( to the left of the nickel) but the last two shots walked walked on me as the barrel heated up. I'd take this load whitetail deer/black bear hunting tomorrow.

The next picture is of a 3 shot group that my friend loaded with Winchester brass and 160 grain Nosler Accubonds. I'm not sure of the load specifics but it was not a bad group. This round was hot and had noticeably more recoil. I'm sure this load could be tweaked to shrink that group up pretty easy.

I had an old box of Federal Power-Shok 150 grain that I used to get the rifle pretty much nailed down. It's groups were fair but I was not real impressed.

I'm very pleased with this rifle. It is a handful on the bench but it will be a pleasure to hunt with. The rifle, scope and scope mounts only weigh 7.6 pounds. Add a few more ounces for the Quake Claw sling, 4 rounds of ammo and I figure you are still just a tad over 8 pounds. The first two shots of my groups were always close, with a couple nearly one hole but the third shot would always open up a bit. The rifle recoiled pretty much straight back with very little muzzle rise, which surprised me a bit. I only had a t-shirt on and it was tolerable. Under field conditions shooting at game animals it should not be an issue.

edited to add: sorry for the sideways picture.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Good shooting. How was the recoil on that lightweight? All of my rifles like the cheap core lost ammo. Seems do to a good job on deer.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good shooting. How was the recoil on that lightweight? All of my rifles like the cheap core lost ammo. Seems do to a good job on deer.
Thanks. I can best describe the recoil as "sharp" when shooting off the bench or in prone position. The good thing is there was very little muzzle rise and the recoil was mainly straight back. I was happy with the accuracy of the Remington ammo.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Not bad. If you really want to see how well it will shoot and you don't load get some 168 grain HSM burger hunters. They shoot less than half inch in my remington 700 7mag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad. If you really want to see how well it will shoot and you don't load get some 168 grain HSM burger hunters. They shoot less than half inch in my remington 700 7mag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Good friend is going to help me load up some 168 and 180 Berger Hunters. I'd like to try the 195's but Berger recommends a 1:8 twist. Mine, along with many factory barrels is a 1:9.5, so it may not spin that long bullet enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts