Defensive Carry banner

Do you carry your folder tip up or tip down?

• I carry mine up

Votes: 86 69.4%
  • I carry mine down

Votes: 38 30.6%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the arguments for carrying your folder with the tip pointing up or down? I'm new to the whole idea of carrying it tip up and was wondering what everyone's opinions were.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Tip up, so as you unfold it, the tip is down. Safer and quicker to deploy. What not to like?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I prefer tip up like my Kershaw or CRKT, but my SOG is tip down which i cant get used to very easily.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Tip up when folded and clipped to my pocket...easy retrieval and open.:hand10:

·
Registered
929 Posts
For the few out there like myself wondering "what the heck are they talking about", I'll be the sacrificial lamb to take the slings & arrows, & take point for the dumb brigade to ask ... "what the heck is this poll referring to"? What is a "folder" ... & "tip" of what in regards to CC & firearms?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't worry, I had to figure all this stuff out too. Folder is a reference to a folding knife instead of a fixed blade. Most upper end knives these days give you the option of placing the clip on the knife on either end of the handle. This gives you the option of carrying the knife clipped to your pocket with the tip or point of the blade pointing down towards the ground or pointing up towards the sky.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Tip up when folded and clipped to my pocket...easy retrieval and open.:hand10:
Yep, Just like that for me as well. I practice allot pulling and opening, I can retrieve the knife and open it (Bench Made Griptilion) faster then my Boker auto that I also carry on a daily basis.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Tip up in left (support) clipped high on the left pocket.

I place my left hand in my pocket fingers curled around the knife, index finger on the A/O flipper.
If necessary... I can deploy it faster than a greased rattlesnakes tongue tied to a lightning bolt!

·
Registered
212 Posts
depends on the knife

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
up for me.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I carry either an Emerson waved folder or Spyderco with the Emerson-patented wave feature (a tip-pointing hook on the base of the blade that snags on the pocket and flips the blade open as you pull it out). This requires tip-up carry, of course.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tip up in right front pocket. When I grab it, my index finger is on the flipper and it's ready for business.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I will only buy knives that are tip up. It's very easy for me to draw the knife and either flip it open or open it with a thumb stud. Not to mention, since the knife blade is resting against the side of my pocket, no need to worry about getting cut.

I own a Benchmade Aphid that is tip down only. I actually got spiked once by the tip when the knife opened slightly in my pocket and I reached in my pocket to grab my keys. Not a pleasant experience.

My nex knife will be an Emerson with wave opening, so tip up is mandatory... that is if I can actually find one.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Thank you Golfnutcasey ... makes sense. Not a knife guy myself, but something I may migrate to in time.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Tip up, easier for me to deploy and open. I use it mostly for work though.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I have always been a tip down carrier but since I got the SOG flash II I have switched all my Kershaws to tip up. Still not all the way comfy with it yet but I am making fewer mistakes after 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts