Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals

I've been doing some experimenting and here's my conclusions.
If you're having difficulty seeing your sights try this color combo, flouresent orange and flouresent green.

Now for the real tip.
I've tried model paint and special gunsight paint but the most durable "optic optimiser" that I've found is...Nail Polish.

The other finishes seem to rub off or peel off in a very short amount of time but the nail polish has now held up for weeks.

Let me know what you think.

·
Administrator
143,579 Posts
:yup: Yup...nail polish is available in every color these days.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Since I wont be first,I'll go ahead and admit that I use nail polish also. (THERE,I'm outta the closet,WHEW !!)

For the person that keeps refuseing to wear glasses the following is what I use.

From>>Blue Cross Beauty Products;Heaven Nail Lacquor;.5 fl.oz.;color is Serenity.

This is 'bout the brightest hotter 'en hell bright pink/orange that I have ever seen. I use this on front sights,some rear sights and some mag floor plates. Anything that you want to see at a very quick glance. I even dab a bit on certin keys for a quick ID.

Also on the "controls" of some of the carbines that I compete with.(mag release,slide release,bolt release,etc.) For me,it seems to take away some of the blued on blued thing when trying to find a control very quickly. --------

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Now I'm curious. Are you guys actually brave enough to buy it yourself or do you find a lady to get it for you? :rofl:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have used fingernail polish to finish hard to reach spaces when finishing rifle stocks, clear only. I buy it myself............but if the clerk gives me "the look" I say it is for my wife. So far, I have only had to buy one bottle...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Good ? Betty. I actually buy it myself. The thing that is "tramatic" for me is when asked,"whatcha gonna do with that"? When I say pistol sights,I always get a little gasp from the teller. I've had very dirty looks also. When I'm wearing the footware of choice in Fla.,(flip flops) I tell them I'm gonna go home and paint my toes.

I use the clear polish if I want to keep a screw from backing out but do not want the permanance of LocTite(blue).Also for the little knots and stiches while making weapon slings and "beefing up" holsters and web gear. After the knot is tied with sailmakers thread(waxed nylon)I apply a small drop of clear fingernail polish on it to seal the knot from coming undone.

I also go thru a fair ammount of pantyhose. You don't really want to know what I use them for do you ?? --------

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i have used nail polish on several wheel guns. you can find just about any color you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After about a year, about 8000 rounds, and numerous cleanings, my factory white dots began to dull.

I found that model paint did the trick. The brand is "Model Master" and the colors are "Russian Marker Yellow" (front) and "Flourescent Red" (rear). The contrasting colors allow for quicker acquistion of the front sight, and the paint has lasted for many months, several thousand rounds, and several cleanings.

The picture was taken in low light, but in the sunlight, the front sight really pops (and the rear is more orange).

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
:yup: Yup...nail polish is available in every color these days.
Including glow in the dark colors. Which is what all my guns that do not have TFO sights on them have. If the clerk wants to misinterpret my bent he is welcome to put it in my hand and we will see how far it stretches before it gets ripped off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts