Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here and I could use some advice.

My wife just bought a Galco Combat Master and the surface of the leather on the inside is very rough, making it difficult to draw her gun.

Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth it out? We have already stretched it a little so that it's not such a tight fit, but the roughness really grips the gun.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
Hi, new guy here and I could use some advice.

My wife just bought a Galco Combat Master and the surface of the leather on the inside is very rough, making it difficult to draw her gun.

Does anyone have any tips on how to smooth it out? We have already stretched it a little so that it's not such a tight fit, but the roughness really grips the gun.

Thanks!

The tight boning, particularly around the trigger guard is more likely what is actually gripping the gun. If the inside texture is actually so rough that it impeded removal of the gun, you are going to have some severe finish wear on your gun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked that out to see if that's what's causing it. It's an LCR (I should've mentioned that) and it seems to be the cylinder that's catching.

You can see on the leather where it's rubbing. She'll probably just have to keep drawing and reholstering until she wears it in if we can't find another way to smooth it out, I suppose.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Stick the gun in a dress sock (or something about as thin as a dress sock) and put it in the holster for a day or two. It will loosen it up some.
For some reason he seems intent on smoothing it out rather than the normal fix.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
I just checked that out to see if that's what's causing it. It's an LCR (I should've mentioned that) and it seems to be the cylinder that's catching.

You can see on the leather where it's rubbing. She'll probably just have to keep drawing and reholstering until she wears it in if we can't find another way to smooth it out, I suppose.

Stick the gun in one or two zip lock bags, mash it into the holster, and let the holster sit at least 24 hours. Remove bags. Try the gun.

There is also a product called "draw-ez." Smooths out the holster interior. I've had better luck with zip locs, though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We stretched it out with a sock already and it's no longer too tight. The rough leather is catching on the cylinder and making it difficult to draw.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
We stretched it out with a sock already and it's no longer too tight. The rough leather is catching on the cylinder and making it difficult to draw.

You might try draw-ez, then. You can get it on amazon or midway. About 8 bucks.

Over time, however, the holster should break in. You will get holster wear but that comes with any holster.

Reactions: Thorian

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I forgot about that!

With the gun in a sock, keep pulling the pistol in and out of the holster with a twisting motion. The sock will help smooth the inside a bit, but not a lot. Just enough.
D'oh! I can't believe I didn't think of that. I think that will do the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Yes, Galcos are tight. Stretch it some more with an extra layer or two of wax paper or baggie or whatever you are using.
^^^^^
This

But give the inside a light rub down with Obenauf's first.

Sent via my subspace communicator

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We put the gun in a sock and rubbed the leather inside with it and it smoothed out quite a bit. Now it is inside of a sock and two baggies and stuffed into the holster. We'll see how it is tomorrow.

I haven't had to work on the fit like this before. My Masters Leather holster for my 642 fit perfectly from the first try.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Locate the rub spot. Take a green 3M "Scotchbrite" pad and hand buff that area. Then blow-out the holster with a compressed air hose. Then completely blow it out it again. Feel the spot with your finger for roughness. Repeat until you can't find it. Carry Happily Ever After! :biggrin2:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I have a feeling this thread will bear a lot of ripe and juicy fruit.

Carry on - and please use clean socks.

Sent via my subspace communicator

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
671 Posts
No offense intended to previous suggestions: Galco's Draw-EZ and Rosen's Leather Lightening are extremely expensive costing $8 - $12 per half ounce. In John Bianchi's book "Blue Steel and Gunleather" he mentions treating holsters with pure liquid silicone to help reduce friction and provide a smooth draw. Here is such a product:

https://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/boot-shoe-care/?product=146

It can be found for ~ $8 for 4 ounces.

Another product that is applied to leather to help smooth it is gum tragacanth:

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/eco-flo-gum-tragacanth

Apply to the inside of the holster and rub it in. Gumtrag helps bind the fibers to get them to lay down.

One more FWIW, you might try softening some paraffin, or bees wax, and rubbing it into the rough area, then with dozens of draws it should burnish and slick / smooth up.

Good luck.

Reactions: Thorian

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm breaking in a new Walters Holster right now. As I type in fact.

I wrapped the pistol in three layers of wax paper. Wax side out.
And it's setting on my patio table in the sun right now.

I'll go get it in a little while and let it sit inside on my desk to cool down to room temperature before I remove the pistol.

Then I'll unwrap it and see how it fits.
This is my third Walters all leather holster and this is how I broke in my last 2.
If it's too rough I'll sand it at the worst roughest spot with one of those scrubbing dish cleaning pan sponges. New and dry of course. Them repeat the wax paper and sunshine thing.

This is how I broke in my scabbard for my saddle holster for my 30-30. Holds it tight but pull out smooth as silk.
That usually does the trick.

works for me.

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
At the risk of going ever so slightly off topic, I would remind those who may not be aware that these holster stretching methods described in this thread are applicable to leather holsters only. Kydex is a completely different animal.

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
Yes, Galcos are tight. Stretch it some more with an extra layer or two of wax paper or baggie or whatever you are using.
I agree, Galco holsters are always super tight.

One great memory: was a visit to my Memaw, she noticed the shoulder strap from my Miami Classic II, and asked what it was, then wanted to see the Sig P229 I was carrying in it. That holster was so tight I couldn't get the pistol out, she about passed out laughing at me. I lost her in 2011; my best friend.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts