Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I purchased the Tisas BR9 SS and basically am satisfied with it. I did upgrade several parts and springs with the BH Solutions components as a preventive measure. So far I have about 700 trouble free rounds through it of various 115 and 124 grain rounds including NATO ammo. I plan on doing some additional upgrades as an extended thumb safety and maybe the C&S wide trigger. Other then that, I will shoot it, maybe CCW it and enjoy it.
With all this being said, I did read that a few had trouble with cracked slides, failure with the FPS cracking and some premature extractor failures. I believe these were some earlier models and maybe had some growing pains? Good news is these are small inexpensive parts easily changed/upgraded with many suppliers of these items.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a T-Series Browning Hi Power in near pristine condition that I acquired back in the late 60s (swapped a $57 Chief's Special for it plus a box of 9mm ammo).

The Browning is a good shooter, but has considerable sentimental value, so I don't use it for carry. I've been looking for a decent P35 for carry that I won't become attached to. I think the Tisas might suffice.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Lots of positive reviews. Most parts are 100% interchangeable (per several reviewers I trust) with the Browning, making upgrades a snap. I own one weapon from Turkey and its milling and machining are top notch.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Tisas extractor is thinner, and differently shaped.
C&S sells one that will fit the Tisas.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Add to the argument that Browning is no longer making the P35. If they were it might be different. Since they are not, and the Tisas BR9 gets such high marks........

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
294 Posts
I added the TR Enabling barrel to my Tisas BR 9 (https://www.tr-enabling.com) and it shoots even better! Nay any malfunctions or problems of any type. I saw a BH Springs Solutions video where they claimed they saw Tisas barrels that were off center by a few thousands. While I can not confirm or deny what they measured, I was talking to a local gun smith that builds custom, precision rifles for the Seal Teams here in Virginia Beach, and he said that is not uncommon for barrels to be a few thousands off from center, and it doesn't make any difference on accuracy of reliability.
FWIW: my original Tisas barrel was perfectly centered as I could determine. I used my dial caliber at every point and it was perfect through out the barrel and the many points I measured. Having owned several HP's over the decades, I can say with full confidence that IMHO the Tisas BR 9 is built just as good as any of the HP variants I had; Browning, FN's, Inglis, FM and FEG.
A very good value for the price.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
anybody noticed these are out of stock everywhere?
Think they will be back?
Noticed? No. But then again, the China Virus created a very large spike in demand for all types of firearms, not specifically Tisas BR9.
When will that gun come back, ask your LGS when their distributor expects to have them again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Won’t buy anything made in Turkey.
This and also the fact that I have heard from a number of people that have owned various Turkish firearms that the long term reliability is not good due to questionable metallurgy. Not all metal is created equal and the Turks seem to not be interested in long term reliability of their firearms. New out of the box they will run fine but after thousands of rounds? I don't like gambling if my firearm will last as long as it should and the Turks don't have a good enough track record on this for my standards.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
This and also the fact that I have heard from a number of people that have owned various Turkish firearms that the long term reliability is not good due to questionable metallurgy. Not all metal is created equal and the Turks seem to not be interested in long term reliability of their firearms. New out of the box they will run fine but after thousands of rounds? I don't like gambling if my firearm will last as long as it should and the Turks don't have a good enough track record on this for my standards.
I know Canik is NATO and ISO 9000 certified. There pistols are service grade and are used my police and militaries around the world. I seriously doubt they were scrimp on the quality of their metal at this stage in the game. Canik is not the only Turkish gun manufacturer that is NATO and ISO 9000 certified.

Unless you have more than just hearsay evidence that they indeed use substandard metal in their weapons, I would tread lightly trying to spread rumors like this. At this point, it sounds like "My brother had a sister that had an Uncle that had a girlfriend that had a Turkish pistol that broke because we decided it was cheap metal. "

My local GS owner says he would put the Canik TP9SF up against any gun made in the world. And he has been around for 40 years.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
HP’s are cool, clone or not !

Reactions: 1gunsnowbird

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I know Canik is NATO and ISO 9000 certified. There pistols are service grade and are used my police and militaries around the world. I seriously doubt they were scrimp on the quality of their metal at this stage in the game. Canik is not the only Turkish gun manufacturer that is NATO and ISO 9000 certified.

Unless you have more than just hearsay evidence that they indeed use substandard metal in their weapons, I would tread lightly trying to spread rumors like this. At this point, it sounds like "My brother had a sister that had an Uncle that had a girlfriend that had a Turkish pistol that broke because we decided it was cheap metal. "

My local GS owner says he would put the Canik TP9SF up against any gun made in the world. And he has been around for 40 years.
Rock Island is ISO 9000 certified as well. Lots of folks don’t realize how big of a deal that actually is. ISO 9000 is a pretty strict set of certs...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Cool-looking pistol. I've never had the urge, but my ex brother in law has one he bought in the mid 60s for cheap, employee's discount through a Kmart store in Fargo, ND. Now he has three sons and a son in law angling for the darn thing when he dies, but he's too ornery to die.

·
Registered
413 Posts

I bought one when they first came out. Put the C&S No Bite hammer on it and it has been perfect through about 700 rounds!

I have always liked the looks of the Browning HP but they have become pretty expensive!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts