Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you required to notify the police that you're armed if stopped.

Edit: this would a driving throuh situation as a non-resident

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Not in TN. Up to you if you do or not. However, it comes up on TN DL's, so if you're a TN driver, they get the HCP info anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
I'm in TN and I always show them the permit. If you don't mention it and he goes back to his car to run your license, it'll show up and it just might make him a bit nervous. In both cases when I showed it, they were totally cool about it.

·
Banned
265 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
KY and TN neither require you to notify.

Just for future info. A check of http://www.handgunlaw.us/ will answer these types of questions for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that have responded. As I posted in another thread, I was actually at my parent's house online on my cell phone and it was pretty difficult to post and read the responses on the small screen. They are preparing to get to FL for the winter when the question came up.

I have sent the links to them for future reference. Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I live on the border of TN and KY (Macon County, TN) and carry 24/7 in both states on a TN HCP. I have never been stopped (I observe the speed limit) but if stopped, I would show HCP along with my DL. At a routine DL/DUI checkpoint I would just show my DL. This isn't a legal requirement, just courtesy on my part.

I do not need to hide the fact that I am armed from the police, just BGs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts