Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I think anyone who comes on this forum and asks if they should buy a new gun should already know the answer they're going to get. ;o)

·
Banned
171 Posts
I can't attest to the G29, but I can enthusiastically endorse the G20. While I would agree that 10mm is maybe a little more than one would need for SD (unless of course you have some serious intermediate barriers to penetrate, but at that point its likely beyond SD), it is a hell of a lot of fun to shoot. Personally, I find it a littler tougher to get follow up shots on target very fast with the G20, so I'd imagine that would be amplified with the G29. At the end of the day though, a G20 with full power 10mm loads really isn't that much harder to tame than a G23 with some hot .40 S&W loads - at least to me, anyway.

But to answer the basic question: Yes, do 10mm. Just, for me personally I think the better choice would be to go for the duty sized gun.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
If you are going to get a 10mm then go all out and get yourself the new Glock40. If I was in bear country that would be on my hip with some pretty hot loads.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The G29 is larger than other "baby" Glocks. More like a compact than a subcompact. In some ways, the grip is more like a standard size G17 / G22. For woods carry go G20 / G20 sf. Not concerned if my firearm prints in the woods. Flip this, and the G29 prints more than other (9mm, 40 S&W, 357 SIG) compact and subcompact Glocks for EDC. These are the two main reasons I no longer consider the G29.

The point of 10mm is the added punch. The G20 does that and assists a little with recoil and adds a little more punch vs G29.

180 gr 1300+ fps is what I look for out of 10mm. So far, for online purchase of 10mm, Underwood has been great. I'm considering others. As often pointed out the 10mm ammo you can buy at the store might as well be overpriced 40 S&W. Maybe the one exception would be the 175 gr Winchester silvertip. I find the silvertip line to be gimmicky overall, with the 10mm offering to be its saving grace. For 2 legged SD load, the silvertip is acceptable. Anything less, might as well carry something else.

If you reload, I would get an after market 10mm barrel with tighter tolerances to save the brass a little more than the Glock factory.

I also purchased a 10 to 40 conversion to save a little at the range and simply availability of the round. More importantly, shooting 40 S&W out of the same frame has assisted at practice when I don't want recoil. I use 180 gr 40S&W with the 10 to 40.

Lastly, I use the Glock factory barrel for hunting / woods carry based on two unfounded assumptions. The coating would be more resistant to the elements. The slightly less tight chambering might assist with feed.

Get the G20 / G20 SF. I'm a fan of 357 sig, but if I had to do it all over again, with Glock standard size, I would just get a 9mm G17 and 10mm G20SF. I like the G20 SF. I have a total of 5 mags for it, as I just don't want to waste time loading mags. It is turning into my favorite firearm.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Yes, solid copper hollow-point, and no lead for the eviroment,

However, I know of one guy who is using the DT ammo to harvest a number of
deer and exotics (legally) along with wild boar and ferals.

The TAC-XP penetrates and expands like crazy.

As one who has shot thousands of rounds in 10mm, with many of them
being Double Tap, or my own reloads.

I wish I'd gotten a chance to play with the newer ammo available today.

The DT ammo out of my (then) P-06 would rock your world!

My Witness, being all steel, handled the recoil of the hot 10mm ammo
at the time.

If 9mm is too weak, and .45 is too slow...then 10mm is for you!

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,894 Posts
I have owned and carried 10mm handguns since 1992. There are many internet myths around the 10mm. It was developed to be a semi-auto alternative to the .357 magnum revolvers and has almost 100% ballistic overlap with the .357 magnum cartridges. Yes it can reach lower .41 magnum ballistics, but so can the .357 magnum. If a .357 magnum is considered such a great self-defense round, why is the 10mm with overlapping ballistics deemed too much for self-defense?

I have talked to Buffalo Bore, Double-Tap, and Underwood who make full power 10mm ammo. The published ballistics are from a 6" barrel. The velocity will be less from the G20 and a little less from the shorter barrel G29. That is why I have a 6" Glock G40 MOS on backorder and have a 6" drop-in Glock factory barrel for my G20 SF.

The 10mm is great for any self-defense or hunting situation that you would want a .357 magnum revolver to use. I carry a 10mm semi-auto as an alternative to my .357 magnum revolvers. I do not consider it or the .357 magnum a good bear gun, I prefer a .44 magnum or the .454 Casull for bear country.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've owned and carried 10mm's since the first Delta Elite came out. No, I don't hunt with it. I have bolt action pistols for that. I don't buy or carry what I consider marginal cartridges. Yes, the average 10mm ammo sold today is just warmed up 40 S&W loadings. I reload so cost is not a concern for me. The 10 can be had in mild to wild loadings and will do anything you want in a semi auto handgun. I run through about 3k rounds a year. Handguns in the full size range are going to give you the most performance and enjoyability. The G20SF gen3 is ideal if you want a poly handgun. In a 1911, RIA, DW, Colt, and some high end customs are available. Do you need one? Only if you want the best performance you can get in a semi auto that can also be carried quite easily. Original spec loads will get you attention, immediately. Maximum fun.
I was going to type stuff, but this guy already said it all. If you don't have a 10mm semi-auto, you're just playing around.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've been carrying my buddy's S&W 629 after seeing one of the biggest brown bears I've seen in a while hiking a month or so ago. He keeps it loaded with 305gr hard cast since it's his dedicated bear gun. I love/hate shooting it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I carry the 20sf in winter time when it is easier to conceal. My next pistol will likely be the 29 gen4 for year round carry. The 10mm is awesome!

So, my usual every day carry is a Glock 27 with extended mag, one spare mag, SOG Trident and flashlight (if I anticipate being out after dark). It all carries well and comfortably. I have recently been looking into a .45 and stumbled across some reviews on the Gen4 Glock 20 and 29. I like the Gen4 29sf for it's easier concealability. Not only am I liking it's knock down power for self defense, but I would also carry it while hunting - for bears and such. Anyone here have/carry a Gen4 Glock 29(sf)? Any thoughts? If not a 10mm, why?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for all the great responses. Some very salient and logical arguments for and against the 10mm.

Just so I'm clear, I don't intend on hunting with the gun, rather, I'd carry it while modern rifle hunting. I know, some will say, "why worry about having a handgun that will take down a bear when you have a rifle". Well, my thinking was it may be quicker or as quick as readying a rifle for a shot, and the handgun has much faster and many more follow-up shots than the rifle will offer.

That said, I also considered concealed carrying the Glock 29sf daily; I am quickly re-considering that. I think I'd rather continue carrying my 27 daily and buy a full size 10mm (Gen4 Glock 20sf) for hunting purposes. Still haven't shot one, so all this may change.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
the 10 is the one that pretty much does it all. I have had several over the years, and still have a G20. I never feel undergunned
in the boonies. Do I usually take something heavier? Yes....but would never feel queezy with the 10mm. Do it, enjoy it, and make
sure you reload for it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
.... I don't intend on hunting with the gun, rather, I'd carry it while modern rifle hunting. I know, some will say, "why worry about having a handgun that will take down a bear when you have a rifle". Well, my thinking was it may be quicker or as quick as readying a rifle for a shot, and the handgun has much faster and many more follow-up shots than the rifle will offer...Still haven't shot one, so all this may change.
i carry the 20sf while hunting for the reason you are considering.

I was walking to a blind one deer season very early in the morning. The plan was to get there early, take a nap, and be up and aware at dawn. I was trying to switch it up a little, and was headed in deeper and much earlier that I had been. I ran into a bear. Though I had a 30-06 rifle, I instead upholstered my G31. Lucky for me the bear just growled a bit, sized me up for a few seconds, they went the other direction.

I ended up unable to nap and leaving a little earlier that night then I had planned. The thought of that bear keep me very aware and awake. Slightly proud of myself for how quickly and confidently I had the pistol in my hand. Wondering if that was something to be proud of when I had a rifle, clearly the more powerful weapon, in my left hand.

I think it just came down to muscle memory and practice. I really should have had the 30-06 ready, but something else took over. Others raised on a farm with rifles, long gun or 3 gun competitors, perhaps with military training know how to switch to the rifle for SD, even paint ball enthusiasts have that mindset. I have only used a rifle shooting at a range preparing for hunting, in a deer blind, and plinking with a 22.

So I started hunting with a side arm for SD and a sling for the rifle (to use the scoped rifle once at a blind or glassing a field). I ended up purchasing a great "guides choice" holster rig from diamond d for the g20sf. Same year on the way to blind I stumbled onto a deer on the way to my blind. Instead of drawing from the guides choice holstered location, I found my hand reaching for nothing but air on strong side hip. Missed pistol range opportunity in thick trees and brush.

So now I'm back to lugging my rifle to the stand, and as a side arm, outside the hip, carrying the G20sf. I really should just get handier with the rifle, but I hunt a few weeks a year. Hard to fault the SD / quick reaction motion I've developed with drawing from the strong side.

You might find you are hunting more with the G20 than you though, but in certain situations, like when in a blind, will naturally want a rifle.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I carry a G20 strong side OWB when hunting. The reason? Feral hogs are not solitary animals, and in some situations they can be dangerous. The odds of me ever needing it are miniscule....but the same can be said for the odds of me ever needing a pistol in a defensive situation against a 2 legged feral animal.

Underwood offers full-power 10mm rounds at reasonable prices. If you shop around you can find 10mm "practice ammo" at moderate prices as well. I'm not going to make a 10mm into my main range gun...but the ammo prices are not so high that it prevents me from practicing.

I will also admit to carrying that Glock 20 IWB. With a good holster, it is definitely a reasonable thing to do. I will say that 30+1 rounds of 10mm is slightly less comfortable and substantially more comforting than 30+1 rounds of 9mm.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I recall correctly, the 10mm came about following the FBI Miami shootout in 1986. The FBI was sorely outgunned with their 9mm, so they asked makers to develop pistols that would accommodate the 10mm. Colt, Smith and Wesson and Glock responded, I think. The next thing I remember is the Colt could not handle the 10mm. I think the Glocks did okay and the I don't know about the S&W 1006. At any rate, I think the .40 S&W was developed to provide an alternative to the 10mm. I'm an old guy who came up on the 1911 .45acp so I've never understood the need for either the 10mm or the .40. Obviously, the .40 is still around and going strong, so there must be something to recommend it.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Thanks for all the great responses. Some very salient and logical arguments for and against the 10mm.

Just so I'm clear, I don't intend on hunting with the gun, rather, I'd carry it while modern rifle hunting. I know, some will say, "why worry about having a handgun that will take down a bear when you have a rifle". Well, my thinking was it may be quicker or as quick as readying a rifle for a shot, and the handgun has much faster and many more follow-up shots than the rifle will offer.

That said, I also considered concealed carrying the Glock 29sf daily; I am quickly re-considering that. I think I'd rather continue carrying my 27 daily and buy a full size 10mm (Gen4 Glock 20sf) for hunting purposes. Still haven't shot one, so all this may change.
What's wrong with having a BUG to your rifle?

I think it makes sense.
I carry either a .357 mag or .357SIG while deer/turkey hunting.
What if the bear or mountain lion jumps/suprises you and is on you like lightning?

You rifle perhaps knocked out of the fight, you got a back-up.

Its a free country.

Get one if you want.
Keep what you have.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts