Defensive Carry banner

To 10mm or not.

6K views 50 replies 39 participants last post by  DDIEM1717 
#1 ·
So, my usual every day carry is a Glock 27 with extended mag, one spare mag, SOG Trident and flashlight (if I anticipate being out after dark). It all carries well and comfortably. I have recently been looking into a .45 and stumbled across some reviews on the Gen4 Glock 20 and 29. I like the Gen4 29sf for it's easier concealability. Not only am I liking it's knock down power for self defense, but I would also carry it while hunting - for bears and such. Anyone here have/carry a Gen4 Glock 29(sf)? Any thoughts? If not a 10mm, why?

#31 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. Some very salient and logical arguments for and against the 10mm.

Just so I'm clear, I don't intend on hunting with the gun, rather, I'd carry it while modern rifle hunting. I know, some will say, "why worry about having a handgun that will take down a bear when you have a rifle". Well, my thinking was it may be quicker or as quick as readying a rifle for a shot, and the handgun has much faster and many more follow-up shots than the rifle will offer.

That said, I also considered concealed carrying the Glock 29sf daily; I am quickly re-considering that. I think I'd rather continue carrying my 27 daily and buy a full size 10mm (Gen4 Glock 20sf) for hunting purposes. Still haven't shot one, so all this may change.

#33 ·
.... I don't intend on hunting with the gun, rather, I'd carry it while modern rifle hunting. I know, some will say, "why worry about having a handgun that will take down a bear when you have a rifle". Well, my thinking was it may be quicker or as quick as readying a rifle for a shot, and the handgun has much faster and many more follow-up shots than the rifle will offer...Still haven't shot one, so all this may change.
i carry the 20sf while hunting for the reason you are considering.

I was walking to a blind one deer season very early in the morning. The plan was to get there early, take a nap, and be up and aware at dawn. I was trying to switch it up a little, and was headed in deeper and much earlier that I had been. I ran into a bear. Though I had a 30-06 rifle, I instead upholstered my G31. Lucky for me the bear just growled a bit, sized me up for a few seconds, they went the other direction.

I ended up unable to nap and leaving a little earlier that night then I had planned. The thought of that bear keep me very aware and awake. Slightly proud of myself for how quickly and confidently I had the pistol in my hand. Wondering if that was something to be proud of when I had a rifle, clearly the more powerful weapon, in my left hand.

I think it just came down to muscle memory and practice. I really should have had the 30-06 ready, but something else took over. Others raised on a farm with rifles, long gun or 3 gun competitors, perhaps with military training know how to switch to the rifle for SD, even paint ball enthusiasts have that mindset. I have only used a rifle shooting at a range preparing for hunting, in a deer blind, and plinking with a 22.

So I started hunting with a side arm for SD and a sling for the rifle (to use the scoped rifle once at a blind or glassing a field). I ended up purchasing a great "guides choice" holster rig from diamond d for the g20sf. Same year on the way to blind I stumbled onto a deer on the way to my blind. Instead of drawing from the guides choice holstered location, I found my hand reaching for nothing but air on strong side hip. Missed pistol range opportunity in thick trees and brush.

So now I'm back to lugging my rifle to the stand, and as a side arm, outside the hip, carrying the G20sf. I really should just get handier with the rifle, but I hunt a few weeks a year. Hard to fault the SD / quick reaction motion I've developed with drawing from the strong side.

You might find you are hunting more with the G20 than you though, but in certain situations, like when in a blind, will naturally want a rifle.

#32 ·
the 10 is the one that pretty much does it all. I have had several over the years, and still have a G20. I never feel undergunned
in the boonies. Do I usually take something heavier? Yes....but would never feel queezy with the 10mm. Do it, enjoy it, and make
sure you reload for it.

#34 ·
I carry a G20 strong side OWB when hunting. The reason? Feral hogs are not solitary animals, and in some situations they can be dangerous. The odds of me ever needing it are miniscule....but the same can be said for the odds of me ever needing a pistol in a defensive situation against a 2 legged feral animal.

Underwood offers full-power 10mm rounds at reasonable prices. If you shop around you can find 10mm "practice ammo" at moderate prices as well. I'm not going to make a 10mm into my main range gun...but the ammo prices are not so high that it prevents me from practicing.

I will also admit to carrying that Glock 20 IWB. With a good holster, it is definitely a reasonable thing to do. I will say that 30+1 rounds of 10mm is slightly less comfortable and substantially more comforting than 30+1 rounds of 9mm.

#35 ·
If I recall correctly, the 10mm came about following the FBI Miami shootout in 1986. The FBI was sorely outgunned with their 9mm, so they asked makers to develop pistols that would accommodate the 10mm. Colt, Smith and Wesson and Glock responded, I think. The next thing I remember is the Colt could not handle the 10mm. I think the Glocks did okay and the I don't know about the S&W 1006. At any rate, I think the .40 S&W was developed to provide an alternative to the 10mm. I'm an old guy who came up on the 1911 .45acp so I've never understood the need for either the 10mm or the .40. Obviously, the .40 is still around and going strong, so there must be something to recommend it.

#41 ·
I have a Glock 40 MOS with a red dot and it is pretty darn accurate. The long slide gobbles up recoil so you are back on target very quickly for your next shot. Fortunately, I do reload so cost is not a factor.

The G40 MOS resides in my Hill People Gear Original Kit Bag on my chest when I hike or backpack. Instant access. I've never had to deal with a black bear but I've not totally confident the 10mm would handle an angry black bear injured and seeking revenge. I also carry a Ruger Toklat in my backpack to end the matter if things go south.

Guns are like a compass...two is one and one is none.

#42 ·
I love the Glock 20, so much I bought 2. Picked up a bunch of extra magazines, bought a bunch of starline brass, and bought up lots of aa#9 powder. Also I got a metal guide rods and 22lb recoil springs for both. I cant think of another gun that can hold 15+1 rounds and be around 357 magnum ballistics.

I am not a fan of the G29 though. Maybe if they went the G43 route and made a single stack that held 7 or 8 and not be so damn fat id consider it.

#46 ·
I live in a must conceal state and the Glock 40 is just too large for me to practically hide by means of a holster. I only carry it when I hike or backpack so the HPG Orginal Kit Bag is perfect as a "chest holster". It draws quickly and is concealed perfectly.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

I put a Burris FastFinder 3 on it and love the combination. It is accurate, affordable and has a lifetime guarantee. In the event I'm out in a bad situation and the FF3 quits on me, I also have a Crimson Trace green laser on the rail to co-witness the FF3. That way, I have two means by which to get on target.

#48 ·
I was carrying a G30 for CCW and decided I wanted to try the G29 10mm for woods carry and maybe a shot at a deer or a pig as I mainly handgun hunt during firearms season.
I liked the G29 so much I started carrying it as a CCW and it was comforting on those wee hours of the morning trips to go hunting.
I killed several pigs with it and eventually sold it and bought the G40 MOS as a primary hunting gun.

I really like the 10mm and the only downsize is cost of ammo if you don't reload, but I do and keep 5-600 rounds loaded, usually Hornady 180 XTP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.