Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals. I have a springfield xdsc 9mm pistol. And it does super with standard pressure 124 gr golden sabres. The +p stuff is ok but Im getting amazing accuracy with the regular stuff. 5 rounds at 10 to 15 yards and there all touching each other. With accuracy like that would you chose the regular flavor or opt for the hotter load. And would +p ammo really make that much difference. Thanks for the time everyone and have a great day.

Sixgun

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I dont carry +p in mine when i pack it doesnt seem to shoot as well as with normal loads

Course im nto much on the whole +p craze

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I will not use + anything.

It's hard on your gun. (increases wear)

It's hard on your ears. (you won't be wearing them in a gunfight)

It's hard on your eyes. (muzzle flash)

It's hard to reacquire your target. (Follow-up shots)

It won't make that much difference to your target.

The 3 rules of target engagement:

Bullet placement, Bullet Placement, BULLET PLACEMENT!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I do carry +P GD's in my carry 226 ST - tho practice is mainly std pressure - 9mm's.

I have a good supply of the +P's and find they shoot very accurately - and actually the flash and noise are not really too different, GD's being good on low flash anyways.

Other main reason is, since I had some issues with std pressure when gun had got real cruddy slide grease (I stopped using grease too) - I know the extra functionality of the +P's will take care of any now remote chance of malfunctions.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I use +P in my 1911, 235 gr +P JHP Golden Sabres.
As stated by Chris, I also see no real difference in flash or noise and the accuracy is great.
I think that maybe it helps with a slightly flatter trajectory and better penetration and expansion.
I also stopped using grease, just oil.

·
Banned
270 Posts
I carried Gold-Dot +P but no longer do for the simple reason that it has a completely different recoil impulse that changes my natural followup.

If you shoot a lot then you know how fast you can shoot by index and your timing is based on the sights getting back at the same time every shot.

Using ammo that does not recoil the same as your practice ammo is going to throw you off in this regard.

It's about shot placement, not the baddest round out there. I feel well armed with my 33rnds of 9mm and G17 EVEN when they are ball ammo, BECAUSE I know that all handgun calibers are anemic and shot placement with rapid follow up is the key to stopping the BG, not a magic bullet.

Spend money on training, and compete often! That's your best bet for stopping someone.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Your mention re recoil impulse OR Shooter is a good one. I should mention that I would agree in many cases - but I claim a near exception - that being that a 226 ST is one heavy gun - and so in fact the recoil perceived from std and +P is so similar as to make no major difference.

Now if I compared the two in my 228 then yes, I think this would be a wise factor to consider.

My contention therefore is that gun mass will be a determining factor - well for me anyways.

·
Banned
270 Posts
Yes, some +P is not harder recoiling than standard. I recently tried some Powerball (which I believe is +P) and it felt like WWB to me, but then again it's using a 90gr bullet.

The difference is not much in my case, but enough that my follow ups are noticeably slower. Reason enough for me to stay away. Add to that the usual extra flash and I'll pass. But YMMV

I'm not a "all fall to hardball" person either (can't be if I'm shooting 9mm :)) but the more I shoot, the more I train, the more I read about real shootings... The less that handgun ammo matters to me.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
sixgun said:
...I have a springfield xdsc 9mm pistol. And it does super with standard pressure 124 gr golden sabres. The +p stuff is ok but Im getting amazing accuracy with the regular stuff. 5 rounds at 10 to 15 yards and there all touching each other. With accuracy like that would you chose the regular flavor or opt for the hotter load. And would +p ammo really make that much difference...
If you are getting "super" performance with a standard pressure premium JHP, and "ok" performance with the +P version, why mess with a good thing? OTOH, why deny yourself every edge you can get? Modern bullet design has made pressure less of an issue than it used to be. Standard pressure rounds can provide excellent penetration, expansion and accuracy equal to higher pressure rounds. All you can do is pick what you shoot well and what you think will perform the way you need it to, when you need it to.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I still don't see a good reason for ME not to use +P if 1) it functions flawlessly in my gun and 2) recoil is still manageable for fast follow-up shots.

You're not going to be shooting these things for practice - so wear/tear on your gun is not an issue.

Flash may or may not be an issue depending on your gun - shoot a few in the dark - if it's an issue - don't use them.

As far as my ears - I don't worry about them in a SD situation. I'll pull the trigger on that short 357 indoors and deal with the hearing loss later.

Concerning practice - I understand where folks are coming from - and it is entirely a personal choice. But I've practiced with a lot of non +P - and occasionally will practice with +P - and training at self-defense ranges - I can't see a difference in my accuracy or follow up shots.

I guess the best answer is to buy a couple of boxes and try it out for yourself. Shoot a few jugs of water or wetpack as well.

If shot placement was the ONLY consideration - then I would carry a .22.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips guys. Im going to do some more testing at the range soon just to make sure. It was a fast trip the other day so I just want to be sure of this load in my gun. Have a good one guys.

Sixgun

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've never been a +p type; std. pressure works just fine for me, since I started...

·
Banned
318 Posts
Carry whatever proves out to be the most reliable, accurate and proven performer on target; with the first 2 being tested in YOUR firearm.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Carry +P+ Hydro-Shok in my S&W Model 60. Carry ammo only, don't shoot much of it at the range. On Q-days they want us to shoot 50 rounds, but I don't. I "Q" with .38 sp wad cutters. But others agents will shoot the +P+ in their model 36 and/or 60. Saw one gun lock up after 30 rounds. They tell us the model 36/60 will shoot the +P+'s but I don't. Feel that it will be OK to run five rounds when I need them, but not every quarter during "Q". The gun is my BUG on duty and if I got to shoot it things have gone bad, real bad. Not many carries the wheel gun as a BUG. Most don't even carry a BUG. The only auto that they will let us carry as a BUG is the Glock 26 and/or 27. I have them also, but the Model 60 is lighter. Guest I still "Old School", that is what the new kids tell me. Must be the gray hair and/or lack of hair.

frankmako

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was using Federal HydraShok 124+P+ in my Kahr and my supply dried up and switched to Federal HST 147 and EFMJ 124+P and CorBon 115+P. The loads I listed worked well and were very very accurate out of my gun

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only use +P's in my Model 19 (158gr LSWCHP +P) Since it was designed for .357Mag, no problems with the thousands of +P handloads and hundreds of factory loads I've put throught it. Very controllable with good follow up shots and excellent reliablity in that piece.

Standard pressure loads only in my BHP

1 - 18 of 18 Posts