Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring has sprung and my father-in-law turns 70 tomorrow. I jokingly told him we need to go shooting today so we can compare him as a 69 year old shooter vs. him as a 70 year old shooter. Just an excuse to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather while slinging some lead down range at a local shooting quarry. He's a shooting instructor and all-around knowledgeable gun guy and 90% of what we talk about is guns- clearly we have a good relationship. He's a great shot too. Solid.

Our roster of guns today:

- Ruger 22/45 lite with a suppressor
-S&W Performance Center Wyatt Deep Cover Model 637 .38- may be a collector's item soon considering Rich Wyatt is going to prison for tax evasion, selling guns without an FFL and basically exhibiting poor judgement. The Deep Cover snubbie is basically a suped up 642 with a bobbed hammer.
- Glock 17
- H&K P30
- Glock 29
- S&W 686+ 4-inch
- S&W 500 2 3/4 inch
-Thompson Contender Hunter .50 cal

Not a bad day to express our 2nd Amendment rights (and options). The Ruger .22 is a blast to plink and with the suppressor we didn't need our "ears." After that it was all utility EDC rotation firearms until we got to the .50 cal beasts.

It's a toss up with which handgun I'm most accurate. Interestingly, the toss up is between the 686+ and G29 in 10mm. The revolver isn't hard to explain- it's a heavy steel tack driver whether shooting .38 or .357. But the G29 continues to amaze me- perhaps it's a combination of the flat shooting (yet still nice and hot) 10mm and my predilection for Glock. It's not that the G17 or H&K P30 aren't accurate, but the .357 and 10mm continue to hit hard and most accurately for me. The H&K P30 is brand new to me and it's already my EDC 9mm- it's so ergonomically great-feeling and definitely more accurate for me than my G17.

.50 cal in revolver makes for a two-handed mule. It's not hard to shoot, but it's not all that fun either. We shot 325 gr. Magtech and even the brick of steel 500 let's you know you're shooting a heavy mini-cannon ball. It's still pretty stout in the Thompson Contender Hunter but you know you'd feel pretty potent if you needed to slow down a Kodiak bear.

Anyway- fun day for shooting and spending time with a gun-in-law.

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
Sounds like a perfect day! Other than the fact we were in the 90s in the Phx area.

Trying to wrap my head around a S&W 500 with a 2-3/4" barrel - a snubbie for the Incredible Hulk? Even at high noon in the desert it must give off a pretty impressive flash and report.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a perfect day! Other than the fact we were in the 90s in the Phx area.

Trying to wrap my head around a S&W 500 with a 2-3/4" barrel - a snubbie for the Incredible Hulk? Even at high noon in the desert it must give off a pretty impressive flash and report.
We're at high altitude (6400 feet amongst the largest stretch of Ponderosa Pines in the world- Arizona, who knew?). Regardless, there's a pretty decent flash and more than decent report! This one has a muzzle break on it so it could probably start a forest fire. All that said, it's manageable, with a firm grip.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
You must be up near Flag - I recall that Coconino NF is known for its Ponderosa pines.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must be up near Flag - I recall that Coconino NF is known for its Ponderosa pines.
Mogollon Rim. Ponderosas are technically Williams east all the way into western New Mexico. Best kept secret in Arizona. Until now...

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm down in the east valley - I thought I heard thunder today!
It was either the .50 cals or the sound I made in my pants after shooting them...

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like its going to be a good day. Going shooting at 10 am our time. Woke up to 45 degrees this morning. Beautiful day high 60. Oh I'm in central Florida. Low tonight 37. Shooting New Colt Commander, Colt Defender and Colt new Agent. Burning powder what a wonderful day!

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I only own guns I use as part of my overall personal defense strategy, I'm consistently amazed by my Glocks. I LOVE my revolvers and my new HK P30. Indeed, as I stated above, the P30 is now my primary EDC 9mm.

But the more I shoot anything else, the more appreciation I have for my Glocks, regardless of caliber. There is something darn near magical about the consistency and confidence I have in Glock semis. "Boring" as they are, they'll remain at the ready even if I'm carrying the P30 the majority of the time.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Wintering in Pompano Beach Florida. Went to Revere Gun Range. Shot 200 rounds
from my Modle 36 S&W. killed a bunch of paper plates. Now it's relaxing in the sun. Tough job but somebody has to do it.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wintering in Pompano Beach Florida. Went to Revere Gun Range. Shot 200 rounds
from my Modle 36 S&W. killed a bunch of paper plates. Now it's relaxing in the sun. Tough job but somebody has to do it.
Like X 2. For the post and for the signature.

Reactions: Haywood
1 - 11 of 11 Posts