Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this pistol at Cabelas yesterday and I thought it was a great looking pocket pistol. How is this gun overall? Anyone own one? This one was stainless.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've got one in 25ACP blued, and it's been fantastic. Stainless would be super sweet.

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
I did own one. It was a fine weapon. Never failed in any way.

But, it had the goofiest kick of any handgun I ever fired. It got painful for me in under a box of shells. Pretty much the only handgun I ever had that problem with.

Its on the heavy side for pocket carry, compared to newer, lighter guns.

·
Premium Member
6,583 Posts
I did own one. It was a fine weapon. Never failed in any way.

But, it had the goofiest kick of any handgun I ever fired. It got painful for me in under a box of shells. Pretty much the only handgun I ever had that problem with.

Its on the heavy side for pocket carry, compared to newer, lighter guns.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I had one when they first came out. I shot it for maybe a year and broke the frame. Beretta told me it was a Thousand round gun not a Range Gun. They replaced it but, I had to pay some. I can't remember how much. I sold the replacement. I herd they are better built now but, I whent the J-Frame route.

·
Registered
863 Posts
My Keltec P-32 loaded with 10rounds (mag extension) still weighs 3oz less than an empty Tomcat. A sub compact 9mm (DB9 PF9) is still lighter too so my Tomcat sits in the safe. Back in the 80's I carried the .25 version, that was a good gun too.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have had one for many years.
I can see no reason for anyone to ever buy one...there are so many guns available today, that are a better choice.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
They are neat guns but too big for a .32 IMO!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
When they first came out I wondered why they didn't build it stronger and in 380.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Great guns ..Biggest deal is

1. DO NOT GET A THIN SLIDE MODEL THAT WILL CRACK ..Stick with INOX or fat slide there will work fine
2. Harder to deal with a dud round but that is easy to get past

Great guns if you dont have much hand power as you dont need to rack the slide just flip up the barrel

I love the tip up guns have them from 22 short to 380 ...

The allycat is the model that has night sights though rare now

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
205 Posts
I own five tomcats and they are nice little guns. I collect small Beretta pistols. If you buy it, two things i will suggest you try and avoid. One, don't snap the slide forward without a rounds going into chamber. Use the tip up to load. Second count your rounds on the range to insure the slide is feeding a round. I have five guns and no frame cracks and i use any ammo within reason.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Second count your rounds on the range to insure the slide is feeding a round.
Sounds to me like you are describing guns that have feeding problems.

To me, this constitutes "not nice" little guns...rather than nice little guns. JMO

·
Registered
205 Posts
Slamming or sling shooting the slide forward either by hand or without picking up a fresh round, while shooting, causes the thin portion of the frame on the right side to crack. The slide slams those front lugs hard and pulls on that metal piece. Nothing what so ever to do with feeding issues.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have had mine for years. I have somewhere around 3000 rounds though it and only problem was lost a grip screw. Contacted Berretta to see if I could order one, the CS lady, sent me 4 screws at no cost. It is heavy than a Keltec P32. I have both a Tomcat and P32, I carry the P32 more and shoot the Tomcat more. My wife claims the Tomcat, because it's lack of recoil and she does not have to work the slide, just tip the barrel to load/unload the chamber.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts