Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals i've but one concern err complaint.

We need standardized language here.

I see CCW, GFL, CHL, CPL, CLL , CCC, ABC, and 123, CPA, might as well also say XXX, when people are referring to a carry license.

EBC, BBC, NBC, and CNN are commonly referred to what as I understand as some ones preference of carry..
okay so im going a little overboard but sheesh.

Why dont we just have a forum standard.

I honestly do not know what a CPL or CHL is much less a 䆐 is... sigh

Reminds me of when I first went in the Navy using crap like...
Comcardesgru1
Desron7
centcomcardesampgrutaccom12

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agreed. I'm an LDS RM and we have enough to LOL about w/o adding more. Half the time I just skip over those parts of a thread.

I have my CFP from UT and like to CC IWB. Of course, if I go to NV then I'll have to OC since they no longer recognize my UT CFP.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL...IDK wt 2 say! Ill be OTW 2 work soon!

Cheers!

·
Registered
181 Posts
There appears to be at least one missing. I have a CHP. :hand5:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why not just speak English. I'm sure lots of people come to the forum and are so confused by the terms used, they never come back. The forum is poorer for not having new blood.

·
Administrator
143,811 Posts
Part of the problem is that different states DO have different names for their respective licenses/permits.
In Pennsylvania it is called a PA LTCC - License To Carry Concealed.

Added Note:
All new members may not know exactly what every abbreviation is but, if somebody posts:

"I'm Legal To Carry Now & It Only Took Me 30 Days To Get My CHP."

Folks can pretty much make a logical determination that a CHP would be a Concealed Handgun Permit and not a Cheese & Ham on Pumpernickel. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Part of the problem is that different states DO have different names for their respective licenses/permits.
In Pennsylvania it is called a PA LTCC - License To Carry Concealed.

Actually it's PA LTCF: License To Carry Firearms. No requirement to be concealed (but I do for the sheeple).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Guys and gals i've but one concern err complaint.

We need standardized language here.
The only problem is that the states that issue firearms permits have no standardization. I think the most common, generic one you will see here is "CCW", although there is no such thing as a CCW in my state (LTCF).

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Folks can pretty much make a logical determination that a CHP would be a Concealed Handgun Permit and not a Cheese & Ham on Pumpernickel. :biggrin2:
I thought it was California Highway Patrol

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Who knows what they mean?

LOL

Back in early the Carter admin there was a complaint by some new political appointees to my agency about jargon and acronyms.

So, someone set up a workshop. I, being the most junior person available with just enough authority to meet the criteria, was sent.

Before the first day was over, the facilitator was heading up the lists of acronyms (to be kept/ to be combined/ to be avoided/ etc) on the board with acronyms for those classifications. These acronyms had emerged/been created on the fly as the group worked the assigned issues.

When I pointed out the new acronyms, which the group against acronyms had just created, the first response was, "But we all know what they mean." :danceban:

I said "Hum, so that's it." :image035:

BTW -- That work-group was only second to the one to deal with "too many reports" that ended up requiring another annual report on "Reports to be Considered for Discontinuation." :rant:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
States' Rights dictate that each state has its own name for permits, no matter how illogical. For example, my Arapahoe County titles the Colorado permit "Concealed Weapon Permit" even though only handguns are authorized by Colorado statute, not weapons in general as in Florida. Other counties here actually have different names for the permit. I use the generic term "CC permit" rather than CWP in an attempt to avoid mass confusion.

There are too many acronyms in the world in general, not just here. Besides our own acronym list, here's a site I have found very informative: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

A test: which is indicative of a more extreme condition, fubar or sapfu?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
IIRC, the reason I decided to get my CWFL in FL was in order to ensure legal EDC wherever I went. Now, I don't want to be a PITA, but IMHO, we ought to be able to type anyway we want. :gah:

BTW, tango, you probably don't know the secret handshake yet, either.
:35:

Of course, part of the problem is the states. FL has a CWFL (Concealed Weapons and Firearms License) while others have Concealed Handgun Permits, or Concealed Carry Licenses, and so forth.

So, my suggestion is that we let the current administration merge the laws and the nomenclature, especially since they want to keep us safe and all. (sarcasm off)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the Acronym page. Being in the computer industry, I'm used to TLAs and ETLAs (Three Letter Acronyms and Extended Three Letter Acronyms), so I use them freely, and forget that others may not have a clue what I'm on about. BTW (By The Way) in MI (Michigan) we have CPL (Concealed Pistol License).

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have to admit that after reading some of these post I'm left scratching my head. But, considering the nature of the forum, I can piece it together enough to figure out what's being said.

Most of the time anyway.:confused:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good Morning Gunnie Friends...... Just to show that we don't have a lock on CCW.... take a look........:aargh4::aargh4::danceban:

CCW Counterclockwise
CCW Countryside Council for Wales
CCW Certain Conventional Weapons
CCW Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons
CCW Convention on Conventional Weapons
CCW Concealed Carry Weapons (permit to carry concealed weapon)
CCW Council of Catholic Women
CCW COM Callable Wrapper
CCW Cyngor Cefn Gwlad Cymru (Welsh: Counryside Council for Wales)
CCW Carrying a Concealed Weapon
CCW Computer Communications Workshop (IEEE)
CCW Channel Command Word
CCW Child Care Worker
CCW Center on Conscience and War
CCW Coal Combustion Waste
CCW Component Cooling Water
CCW Cancel Call Waiting (Telephone)
CCW Center for the Childcare Workforce
CCW Command and Control Wing (US Air Force)
CCW Continuous Composite Worm
CCW Close Combat Weapon (gaming)
CCW Canadian Construction Women
CCW Curriculum Council for Wales (now ACCAC)
CCW Chester County Women (West Chester, PA)
CCW Constituent Concentrations in Wastes
CCW Convention Against Chemical Weapons
CCW Cable Cutoff Wavelength
CCW Continuous Carrier Wave
CCW Cold Coastal Waters
CCW Cleveland Clinic Wooster (Ohio)
CCW Cricklade Country Way (UK)
CCW Charge Current Wave (type of Hartree-Fock wave function)
CCW Command/Control Workstation
CCW Chief Clancy Wiggum (Simpsons cartoon)
CCW Creating Common Wealth
CCW Command & Control Warfare
CCW Continuously Corrugated and Welded (cable sheath)
CCW Curriculum Critique Worksheet
CCW Corrugated Circular Waveguide
CCW Coherent Carrier Wave
CCW Conservation Center for Westchester

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Here is my favorite, which I learned from a good friend who is no longer with us, he was a Navy veteran (Vietnam era) who did several WESTPAC cruises (I am sure some of you Navy veterans on the forum know what I am talking about) and considered Subic Bay Naval base and Olongapo, Phillipines his home away from home:

BOHICA - Bend over, here it comes again.......

I figured given our current situation nationwide, it was appropriate.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts