Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the other day I told my children that we would go shooting. They rememberd and informed me that it was time to go. So I load up my MKII 22 pistol with the 10" bull barrel, 20 gauge youth model shotgun, 10/22 rifle, XD40 and my Kahr 45. Then I loaded up the children.

I took my 14yr old son, 10yr old son, 7yr old daughter and my 6yr old son. We went out and I set up targets, had a safety briefing for the little ones and discussed proper gun handling procedures. I was blown away at how my 6 and 7 yr old handled and fired the weapons. It was truly heart warming to see the enjoyment and pleasure that they had from shooting.

My 10 and 14 were chomping at the bit to shoot the 40 and 45. I was so tickled at the joy they showed when they hit water bottles, it was truly priceless. I cant wait till the next time we get to get out and shoot as a family..

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Now that's a great day!

·
Registered
702 Posts
That's AWESOME! I was just thinking the other day "at what age can kids shoot"? My son is just 15 months old....it'll be a while, but I can't wait to teach him.

·
Registered
622 Posts
That is terrific! How did you go about finding a range that was both friendly to children & allowed you to use targets that give visual feedback?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is terrific! How did you go about finding a range that was both friendly to children & allowed you to use targets that give visual feedback?
there is a very good place to go shoot outdoors here and I happen to know the owner. I plan on going back within the next week

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
there is a very good place to go shoot outdoors here and I happen to know the owner. I plan on going back within the next week
Don't forget to take the kids again next week. Mine won't let me go to the range without her.:smile:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I bought my nephews a Rossi .22/.410 combo for Christmas. While the 9 year old is apprehensive, the 7 year old asked me when we were going to go out and kill some squirrels (he's a good little Neanderthal). I will stop over to pick up the willing one this week for a little classroom safety talk and then take him out to shoot cans and targets.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Wonderfull! Teaching safety and responsibility takes the mystery out. I started my daughter at 7. My 1 year old son has a while to wait. Congrats!!!

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Awesome! Good of you to find some time and do it. Four young 'uns to the range! Priceless! I'm just thinking how much ammo I would have to restock after something like that. But there's nothing like getting the kids out and into it. Keep 'em hooked and there's a lot of fun and happy faces in the future. I just hope you don't have to go to eating macaroni and cheese for a few weeks to fund the outings. Eating lead and brass just don't cut it in my book. LOL. Got any pics of the outing? We used to have monthly pics for the forum, but I guess I've fallen behind on the ordeal. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your excitement with us and the kids!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that I will do RamRod, sorry but I didnt get to take pics. I will make it a point next time though..

And as for the ammo we went through, well it was quite a bit but it was worth it..

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Today is a family outing, but you're building safe shooters and family memories.:congrats::hand10::yup:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
That's GREAT! Four more Pro-2A'ers comin' up! :congrats: The sooner they get out there to enjoy it, the better. It's beyond words watching my 7 yr. old little deadeye with a .22 LR pistol shoot cans. I know how you feel. Good job Dad :king:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
And as for the ammo we went through, well it was quite a bit but it was worth it..
Yep. Better start stocking up on ammo now that you have 4 new shooters!

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I took my daughters shooting with a 10/22 when they were 10 and 11,they liked it and my youngest today has a M&P9c need to get her interested in getting her chl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts