Defensive Carry banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran some target ammo and some defensive rounds through it. It ran great but I need to drift the front sight a little. It is certainly ready to enter the carry rotation though! Love the new grip texture, really helps keep the gun from moving too much!

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Took my new 45 Shield out yesterday for its first range duty. I did a writeup on a thread on this site. Great little gun and it handles the .45ACP very nicely.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've really been thinking about one. How is the recoil? I've heard that is not bad at all. Congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've really been thinking about one. How is the recoil? I've heard that is not bad at all. Congrats on the new gun!
I realize you are asking the OP, but my experience with my Shield 45 is that it's a very manageable recoil. Certainly less than my short barrel 1911. I don't think I am the only one to recommend it if you are looking for a smaller, lighter conceal gun. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
This is what I wrote yesterday on a thread I started last week...

"Took my new M&P 45 Shield to the range this morning for its maiden voyage. I took along target hardball 230 grain (very high quality reloads from an online supplier), Federal 230 grain HST +P, and Winchester Ranger T JHP 230 grain +P. The gun operated flawlessly with absolutely no hiccups, errors, etc. I only took along the magazine with the extended floorplate in +1 configuration. My first impression with a good firm hold was that the recoil was noticeably less than that of the M&P 40 Shield. And there was very little muzzle rise. Sights returned quickly to target and followup shots are better than expected. For such a light pistol with such a thin grip, the felt recoil was not at all bad and the gun handled remarkably well. I have slightly smaller than average size hands for my body size and the gun did just fine with me. Definitely a keeper and would make an excellent close (as in deeper) concealment gun, just like it brothers.

Even the hotter +P loads didn’t present a problem. And even though I didn’t fire a lot of ammunition, the more aggressive texture used on the grip did not bother my shooting hand. This little barnstorming pistol is a gem. With its brother in 9mm, I have an excellent choice between these two for deeper concealment. It certainly does recoil stronger than the 9mm version but trust me on this. It’s really not irritating or problematic. A truly fine little gun. For you fence sitters, take the plunge. You won’t be sorry."

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's very good info you guys. I'm going to get one for sure. I need to let the wife cool off a bit over all the guns and gun related stuff I have been buying lately and then I'm getting one. I have a Shield 9mm and a M&P 45 4" alrady and I could not be happier wwith either of them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what I wrote yesterday on a thread I started last week...

"Took my new M&P 45 Shield to the range this morning for its maiden voyage. I took along target hardball 230 grain (very high quality reloads from an online supplier), Federal 230 grain HST +P, and Winchester Ranger T JHP 230 grain +P. The gun operated flawlessly with absolutely no hiccups, errors, etc. I only took along the magazine with the extended floorplate in +1 configuration. My first impression with a good firm hold was that the recoil was noticeably less than that of the M&P 40 Shield. And there was very little muzzle rise. Sights returned quickly to target and followup shots are better than expected. For such a light pistol with such a thin grip, the felt recoil was not at all bad and the gun handled remarkably well. I have slightly smaller than average size hands for my body size and the gun did just fine with me. Definitely a keeper and would make an excellent close (as in deeper) concealment gun, just like it brothers.

Even the hotter +P loads didn’t present a problem. And even though I didn’t fire a lot of ammunition, the more aggressive texture used on the grip did not bother my shooting hand. This little barnstorming pistol is a gem. With its brother in 9mm, I have an excellent choice between these two for deeper concealment. It certainly does recoil stronger than the 9mm version but trust me on this. It’s really not irritating or problematic. A truly fine little gun. For you fence sitters, take the plunge. You won’t be sorry."
Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did a impromptu clearballistics FBI BARE gel test earlier this year with 6"x6"x16" with wood backstop
It was 17 degrees F, 61% humidity, Pressure 30.3%
I used my .45 Shield
Federal HST 230gr= penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .82
Federal HST 230 gr +P= penetrated 11 3/4" expanded .80
Critical duty 220 +P = passed through block. recovered in wood .51"
Underwood Extreme defense 120gr=passed through block recovered in wood
Winchester Ranger 230gr (RA45T)=penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .75-.85"
Widest petal was .85
Winchester Ranger 230gr+P (RA45TP)=penetrated 14 3/4" expanded .75-.85
I then shot 4 more rounds of Ranger 230gr+P and they went from 14 1/2" to 14 7/8"
So with my little test I will be carrying the Ranger 230+P.
Just thought you might be interested in the results.
The Federal HST expand beautifully but don't even penetrate to 12" with the shorter Shield barrel.
Here is update.
I did Speer Gold dot 230gr Standard pressure=13"penetration with .625 expansion
Corbon DPX 185gr+P=14 1/2" penetration with .75 expansion
I still like the Ranger 230+P so far with 14 1/2-14 3/4" penetration and .85 expansion at widest point.
One Corbon turned completely around 180degrees
Both expanded nicely

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
That's very good info you guys. I'm going to get one for sure. I need to let the wife cool off a bit over all the guns and gun related stuff I have been buying lately and then I'm getting one. I have a Shield 9mm and a M&P 45 4" alrady and I could not be happier wwith either of them.
I have one of these in which the Apex Tactical DCAEK is installed but with the OEM factory trigger spring retained. It is a fabulous .45 pistol.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Ran some target ammo and some defensive rounds through it. It ran great but I need to drift the front sight a little. It is certainly ready to enter the carry rotation though! Love the new grip texture, really helps keep the gun from moving too much!
Good luck on drifting the front sight. I hope yours is easier than my Shield was. Those sights are installed with some serious bonding agent and mine required a gun smith to heat it and beat the life out of it to dislodge it.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Good luck on drifting the front sight. I hope yours is easier than my Shield was. Those sights are installed with some serious bonding agent and mine required a gun smith to heat it and beat the life out of it to dislodge it.
Yeah, I wouldn't drift the front sight. I would do this to the rear sight with one of my sight pushing tools. Unless that front sight is noticeably off (not centered) from the factory, I wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I wouldn't drift the front sight. I would do this to the rear sight with one of my sight pushing tools. Unless that front sight is noticeably off (not centered) from the factory, I wouldn't touch it.
I read the instruction manual and it says that the rear is not adjustable. That did seem strange to me though, as all of my other M&Ps are adjustable.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I read the instruction manual and it says that the rear is not adjustable. That did seem strange to me though, as all of my other M&Ps are adjustable.
Really? I'll have to check that out. The reason that I find that a bit off is in order to replace the striker safety block, you have to remove the rear sight... which means that you have to drift it out. If you can do this, you can also adjust it. Go to the 15 minute 10 second spot on this video and watch the man drift the rear sight.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Details/191855

However you are correct about the owner's manual saying that the rear sight is not adjustable. Just can't figure out why they say that unless it is do to the fact that there is so very little room on either side of the dovetail to move the sight in one direction or the other.

In any case, I'm glad you pointed this out and if I was of a mind to make any adjustments I would do as they recommend in the manual.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I did a impromptu clearballistics FBI BARE gel test earlier this year with 6"x6"x16" with wood backstop
It was 17 degrees F, 61% humidity, Pressure 30.3%
I used my .45 Shield
Federal HST 230gr= penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .82
Federal HST 230 gr +P= penetrated 11 3/4" expanded .80
Critical duty 220 +P = passed through block. recovered in wood .51"
Underwood Extreme defense 120gr=passed through block recovered in wood
Winchester Ranger 230gr (RA45T)=penetrated 11 1/2" expanded .75-.85"
Widest petal was .85
Winchester Ranger 230gr+P (RA45TP)=penetrated 14 3/4" expanded .75-.85
I then shot 4 more rounds of Ranger 230gr+P and they went from 14 1/2" to 14 7/8"
So with my little test I will be carrying the Ranger 230+P.
Just thought you might be interested in the results.
The Federal HST expand beautifully but don't even penetrate to 12" with the shorter Shield barrel.
Here is update.
I did Speer Gold dot 230gr Standard pressure=13"penetration with .625 expansion
Corbon DPX 185gr+P=14 1/2" penetration with .75 expansion
I still like the Ranger 230+P so far with 14 1/2-14 3/4" penetration and .85 expansion at widest point.
One Corbon turned completely around 180degrees
Both expanded nicely

I have been thinking about getting one so did you do any test with the Underwood 230gr?

BTW: Thank for sharing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts