Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As this article says, "People talk a lot about situational awareness but never add any specifics or color to their discussion." What I hear is things like "Don't be on your phone." This article gives some specifics for what to watch out for. It was shared by Grant Cunningham in his online newsletter.

Home | Kembativz Brand

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Good list, but go into any major grocery chain or big box store and I guarantee you that at least five of those things will happen. People have become asshats. Anyway, I see a lot of that lounging around the car stuff. They act like they're waiting on somebody and they'll stand by the driver side door for a bit, then they'l lean on the hood for a while, then they'll get in the car and wait. After a bit of time, they'll just walk off in a random direction before the process starts again. The local Walmart here is notorious for that.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
Good list, but go into any major grocery chain or big box store and I guarantee you that at least five of those things will happen. People have become asshats. Anyway, I see a lot of that lounging around the car stuff. They act like they're waiting on somebody and they'll stand by the driver side door for a bit, then they'l lean on the hood for a while, then they'll get in the car and wait. After a bit of time, they'll just walk off in a random direction before the process starts again. The local Walmart here is notorious for that.
All true, but still good points to be mindful of while keeping the OODA loop clicking away. If one of these indicators are present in the absence of others, observe, orient, decide, and reset, all in the span of a second or two. If indicators start piling up, act.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Not a bad list. It may help explain why I view my neighborhood as a low threat environment. I can't recall the last time I saw someone just hanging around the parking lot of the hardware store, or follow me, or cross the street when I do as if following me. There ARE places like that within 25 miles of me. I used to pick my wife up at night, after her work at a large hospital. I always carried there...because it was the kind of place where a couple of guys would come up and try to start talking to someone...in a parking lot...at night. I generally wore my gun in my front pocket, using a holster that would keep it partway out, so I could slip my hand on the butt easily. And while still concealed by my shirttail. They often lost interest in talking to me, so maybe they realized there was something under the shirttail. Oh well. I'm not too sociable anyways.

But where I live now, ANYONE paying significant attention to me would be suspicious, unless it was to say, "Would you like fries with that?"...

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Good list, I made my kids read this...

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Helpful article, nice to see all in one place.

But all I can say is to look and be as alert as possible because the true predator takes the prey on their own terms when the advantages are all theirs. Ambush, fast, using surprise and speed, just like any other predator. To survive, they have to minimize their risks too and they plan the time and place.

The less you look like prey, the less likely you will be targeted.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Helpful article, nice to see all in one place.

But all I can say is to look and be as alert as possible because the true predator takes the prey on their own terms when the advantages are all theirs. Ambush, fast, using surprise and speed, just like any other predator. To survive, they have to minimize their risks too and they plan the time and place.

The less you look like prey, the less likely you will be targeted.
Some people, no matter what they do to appear less like prey are going to be considered an easy lunch by hardened criminals no matter how hard they try. The 4'11" 95 pound wife looks like a criminals best case victim, no matter how she presents herself to not look like prey.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If the true criminals are experienced and you present in such a way as to often potentially effective resistance (e.g. had in your purse gripping your ccw, or take a bladed stance, put your hand on your pistol and use a command voice) they are likely to divert and find a target that will be less ready.

The loner who is high or mentally deranged is another matter entirely.......

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
Some people, no matter what they do to appear less like prey are going to be considered an easy lunch by hardened criminals no matter how hard they try. The 4'11" 95 pound wife looks like a criminals best case victim, no matter how she presents herself to not look like prey.
A like from the guy with the four-foot-ten-inch wife who has never been in a physical confrontation in her life. OODA is the best preventive advice I can give her.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I agree.

I am not a particularly "bad" looking dude, but I am 6'1" and weigh in at about 215 lbs.(on a good day) and I have rarely been or even felt threatened by potential BG's. Physicality has a lot to do with whether you are viewed as a potential victim or easy prey.

I've had more than one person approach me and say "you look like a cop". I just look at them, smile, nod my head and say nothing. That usually does the trick.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
I must look like prey. Twice in the last three years I have been picked out of a group of multiple potential victims to have a run taken at. My A in the OODA ended both confrontations prior to actual physical contact.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
they are likely to divert and find a target that will be less ready
predatory criminals expect resistance.. its part of the process. If body language and voice commands deter attack, you are likely dealing with something substantially less than a violent predatory criminal. To say that such tactics are "likely" to deter attack is really reaching, I don't think its fair to say in any broad sense. Can it help?... sure, will it help?.. it all depends on a lot of thing.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts