Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of threads about what you carry etc etc etc...

What gun or guns were a total flop for you? Why was that the case? Too big, too small, didn’t work, hated the ergonomics?

For me it was the P365. Shot well, and I never had a hiccup with it. It was just too small for me. After almost a 1000 rounds I decided to part ways with it. I decided it wasn’t my thing...

·
Registered
10,793 Posts
For me it was the Sig P290RS, for lots of reasons.
  • It just never felt right. It was very top heavy, the distance from the backstrap to the trigger was too short, etc.
  • I had light strikes with it. I sent it in to Sig, but got it back and it was no better.
  • The optional laser was awkward to use, was easily turned on by the side of a holster and wouldn't hold zero.
The one positive I would give it is that for a small DA auto, it was pretty accurate.

·
Registered
19,591 Posts
Never had one that was a total flop. Just took some time to nail it down to what was the best choices for my needs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My very first carry was a Bersa 380. That was a whole lotta weight for a lower power round. It didn’t take more than a week before I switched to all polymer 9mm.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
My 1911. The grip is too small for me. I have big hands so little guns and I tend to disagree with one another.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
18,848 Posts
Bought a KelTec P3-AT .380 for pocket carry when they came out. I was working in an office wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. I had lots of limp wrist type jams. Other people could shoot it with fewer jams. Bought a Ruger LCP .380 when they came out with the same type issues. They were too small for me to get a good grip on. I traded both of them in on a Sig P238 when they came out. Carried it with zero issues until Sig came out with the P938 9mm. I have been carrying the Sig P938 for several years with zero issues.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Bought a KelTec P3-AT .380 for pocket carry when they came out. I was working in an office wearing dress slacks, dress shirt, and tie. I had lots of limp wrist type jams. Other people could shoot it with fewer jams. Bought a Ruger LCP .380 when they came out with the same type issues. They were too small for me to get a good grip on. I traded both of them in on a Sig P238 when they came out. Carried it with zero issues until Sig came out with the P938 9mm. I have been carrying the Sig P938 for several years with zero issues.
We must have been thinking the same thing-how weird is that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s crazy about the little .380’s. I had an LCP II. Never an issue, but my father in law wanted it...and he loves it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glock G19 Gen 5 Even worse my wife bought it for our mix, as she knows I am looking for 9MM in between the 365 ( I carry everyday) and my X5 Legion.
Size wise it fits the bill shoots fine, great brand and build.
Not a fan of trigger, grip, or take down but after that solid gun.
So it sits in gun safe most the time, I am smart enough to never sell or besmirch it 😅

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glock G19 Gen 5 Even worse my wife bought it for our mix, as she knows I am looking for 9MM in between the 365 ( I carry everyday) and my X5 Legion.
Size wise it fits the bill shoots fine, great brand and build.
Not a fan of trigger, grip, or take down but after that solid gun.
So it sits in gun safe most the time, I am smart enough to never sell or besmirch it 😅
That’s funny...but you sound like a smart man.

Have you tried the M&P 2.0 compact? I really like mine, and it shoots great.

I hated my Glocks to start with...and a G19 was my first ever gun purchase. I took some time away from it and finally decided I was going to figure it out. I don’t have a gen 5 19...but removing the finger grooves on my Gen 4 and a slight trigger guard under cut made the difference for me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I tried the XDs 45 right when it came out. it was light striking at least once per mag. Sent it back, came back working but it rubs my thumb raw after a box of 50 and I still didn't trust it.
I still have it just because I like to have micro carry guns in a variety of calibers in the off chance that we were to ever have a long term ammo shortage:oops:

Every compact/micro .40 S&W ever.

The original LCP, not 100% reliable, worse trigger and less features than other pocket .380 guns at the time. Love the LCP2 though, it's in my pocket right now.

·
Super Moderator
18,725 Posts
Another disgruntled Kel Tec P3AT owner here. Their second generation P3AT had just been introduced when I got this one in 2005. My brother-in-law had an early one and sang its praises and it was the smallest .380 of that time period before the advent of the Ruger LCP. It started out balky and I made it a hobby to shoot it until it straightened out. A few years back it was found to return to its old habits of choking and harking. I cleaned it and gave it a talkin' too and scared the hooey out of it and its run again ever since. It was soon demoted to yard gun duty and that's its niche ever since.

I had originally thought to make it some sort of deep concealment option to take the place of the Colt Model 1908 .25 that I used to stick behind my wallet in a hip pocket. While the .380 offers meaningful improvements in effectiveness at least the .25 Colt has never failed to give perfect function satisfaction.

I don't care for plastic pistols of any sort, but the Shield is sort of a best of the breed for my purposes. I don't have any habit of choosing it however because of the prejudice against plastic. The Shield does offer the goodness of .40 S&W capabilities in a compact package with ergonomics that are quite good and its recoil is quite mild in my estimation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have not shot the MP 2.0. I should give it a run. I like my buddies SW MP he carries as LEO. Though it is full size.
i actually love my 365, faultless in function, can carry anywhere never be noticed.
Good capacity and shoots on target, even a decent number of yards out more than the golden 21 foot rule for a carry and self protection.

i will play with the Glock grip and trigger set up just because it is a good unit, and my better half notices It not on my hip when we are up north.

trying not to abuse the X5 Legion wearing all day when out in the woods, and lake cabin area not really the smart use for a gun like that. Hence why I am surfing something solid between.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
The worst was a Kel-Tec P11. I changed the sights three times and that thing would still shoot 8 inch groups from 6 feet. Most inaccurate gun I have ever owned.

In second place was a Ruger LCP Custom. It was very reliable but, it would pinch my trigger finger so bad I had to practice with a bandaid on that finger and I was much more accurate with a 2" snub so it finally got traded.
Sometimes guns are just too damned small to be practical.

·
Premium Member
35,792 Posts
Lots of threads about what you carry etc etc etc...

What gun or guns were a total flop for you? Why was that the case? Too big, too small, didn’t work, hated the ergonomics?

For me it was the P365. Shot well, and I never had a hiccup with it. It was just too small for me. After almost a 1000 rounds I decided to part ways with it. I decided it wasn’t my thing...
Keltec PF9. It had it all--unreliable, terrible trigger, insufferable recoil. Bought it with the intention of carrying it as a bug, shot it, never even bothered to get a holster for it.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I bought a Glock 48 in silver fairly soon after they came out. I never really liked the silver. And then of course several months later Glock came out with a black G 48. I always tell everybody and my friends never buy a gun before renting it and shooting it several times. I did not take my own advice because my range did not have any rental G 48‘s because they were so new. A range employee let me shoot 10 rounds in his and I decided to buy one. I think the gun fit my hand just fine and I liked it because it was a smaller gun but when I would shoot it would pinch my trigger finger between the bottom of the trigger and the trigger guard. Ended up shooting about 1000 rounds and then sold it. I will say I was lucky because I got a very good price for it and didn’t lose much money at all. Rent before you buy!!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts