Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
Kahr. Nose down jams, barrel and slide peening. They were the only game in town at the time and I really tried to get them to work, but no love.

Glock 43, too snappy for my wife and had some jams with it. Glock fixed it but ended up selling it.

·
Super Moderator
17,712 Posts
My worst purchase was a Kel-Tec P-11, needed a block and tackle just to pull the trigger which was about as smooth as dragging a piece of rebar through a gravel pit. Accuracy was abysmal due to the sorry trigger, I doubt I could have hit the side of a barn even from inside. Traded it for a 6-inch Security Six revolver and got the better end of the deal.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I had a Ruger P-85 that just didn't fit me. I had to change my grip to what felt un-natural for me otherwise I couldn't hit anything with it. Too bad as it's really a great gun, just not for me.
The part that really hurts is I traded a Super Blackhawk for it. Loved that gun but got caught up in needing a 9mm semi.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Glock G19 Gen 5 Even worse my wife bought it for our mix, as she knows I am looking for 9MM in between the 365 ( I carry everyday) and my X5 Legion.
Size wise it fits the bill shoots fine, great brand and build.
Not a fan of trigger, grip, or take down but after that solid gun.
So it sits in gun safe most the time, I am smart enough to never sell or besmirch it 😅
Why not try the P320 Carry?

I had a Glock once, felt like shooting a 2x4 with a barrel and mag attached.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Not really a total flop, but just didn't work out for me, Kimber Micro-9 CSE Crimson. I bought it with the intention of being my deep concealment gun, at the same time my wife got her P365.
It got retired pretty quickly, as I really hate the trigger on it, and I'm not as accurate with it as I am with a P365. I bought a P365 several months later.

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
A kahr PM40. Biggest POS pistol I have ever had. That was also the last .40 cal I ever had. Went to 9mm for pistols, .357 & 38 spec for revolvers.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
As a lefty, I love pieces that accommodate that ambidextrous aspect. One, in particular, was the GrandPower P11. Sweet, sweet piece. Sweet! I loved the rotating barrel and it was a very accurate and smooth shooter. It wasn't a flop per se however, the reassembly was not the smoothest. It was time-consuming and for that reason, I had to put it on ice-I got rid of it!

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
Pistoleer
664 Posts
I am a huge Beretta 92 fan but I would have to say that the "compact" version of the 92 is anything but that. A total flop for a compact pistol in my opinion as it is way too large and bulky. I have a 92 compact just to have a sample of one for my large model 92 collection but I never use it as my CZ-75 compact is far superior as a compact pistol.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
My dang Glock 20 is almost too big to hide under a flannel. And my LC9 can fit in my pocket, but the trigger, meh. I can still keep the mag in a paper plate at 10 yards.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
We've had a few. The SIG P250 was about the worst, most inaccurate of all of the flops though. The trigger was worse than awful and it shot huge groups, all of which were high and wide both for me and for hubby. The Ruger LCR's in both .22 lr (mine) and .22WMR (Hubby's) got gone quickly due to their horrendously heavy trigger pulls. 14 pounds is NOT a reasonable trigger pull for a revolver of any caliber! And then there was the most recent one - the Baby Rock which got gone/consigned/sold after just one trip to the range with hubby and 2 other guys each shooting a FEW rounds and declaring it a nasty little monster.. I couldn't rack the slide OR pull the trigger and it was supposed to be my gun. Oh well.

We've both had lots of others that have been good in about every way over a few decades. Some we still have and quite a few got traded or sold due to changing health issues or changing "mood."

·
Registered
436 Posts
cz100....tried one in the 90's. Looked decent, felt great in the hand, service size, unique, had that whatever they called it to rack the slide with your belt or on an edge surface......it was pure lust handling it and i really wanted to like this gun as i am a cz fan, and it was the best feeling double stack 9mm i have ever held even surpassing my love for the browning hi-power.......the deal breaker was absolutely the longest, and i do mean longest hinderance of a crappy dao trigger stroke i have ever experienced in any firearm....and it did not break until the trigger was half a hair from touching the frame.....and did not reset until fully and i do mean fully finger off the trigger forward.

smith and wesson SW380....smith's attempt to build a low-end gun to match Lorcin's quality and workmanship. ....poor function, poor mag design, poor materials, and poor gutter sights......all wrapped up in a blowback design. if i remember correctly, the gun had a reported service life of 2000 rds?.....i ditched this one fast......

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Astra 357 mag. My first new handgun. Shaved lead so bad that it was dangerous to stand beside it whan fired. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it. I was new and thought it was just me. I almost gave up on learning to shoot a handgun.

Reactions: justahunter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why not try the P320 Carry?

I had a Glock once, felt like shooting a 2x4 with a barrel and mag attached.
Yes exactly what I am thinking that X Compact/Carry and a SIG AXG scorpion
i am sure I need to look at other brands ( MP series as recommended earlier, and some experience with Friends) just kind of partial to SIG, guns are like kids some are easy some you got to work with, they are their own soul.
Thanks for the replies.
New to this site community, like the information and the talk does not degrade to typical social network BS.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Add me to the P365 list. I loved everything about that gun other than every 50th round or so, it’d failure to go into battery. It actually got worse the more it was shot. I tried some factory Sig 124 V-crown ammo in it. 2 jams each mag for 4 jams in 20 rounds. It was bad enough I didn’t want to sell it and have it be someone else’s problem. I ended up selling it to a guy with full disclosure it probably needed to go back to Sig. Sure enough, it made the trip and came back fully functional according to him. He loves it and got it at a price to make the return worth it.

I fully admit that it was a fluke gun. Even so, it put a bitter taste in my mouth for them.

Todd

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Had a department issued Beretta PX4 in 40 S&W develop a crack in the slide within the first 50 rounds. The crack started just in front of the rear sight/dovetail and went back towards the firing pin. It was so loose I was able to slide the rear sight in and out of the dovetail by hand. The particular pistol I was issued was the only one that developed this problem. An interesting fact was the serial number and prefix on all the department pistols had the same prefix and had an ascending number....except mine...the prefix was different so our guess was it was from a completely different run of pistols.

A couple years later we sent one of our officers to Beretta for armorers training. I asked him to inquire about the PX-4 problem. When he asked, the instructors said they had heard about it and were told it was an isolated event. Said I probably should have purchased a lottery ticket that day!

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I don't have many handguns, but have been lucky. No flops (so far)!
<edit> I did buy a Beretta M9a3 that wasn't a flop, it was a fine pistol -- just too big and bulky for my taste. I gave it to my son.

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
Beretta PX-4 Compact. Although I love the way it shoots, it was simply too bulky (wide) for me to ever get comfortable wearing IWB. I have "evolved" over time trying to find the carry sweet spot, and I've settled on a Kahr P380 pocket carried around the house and a P365 IWB when I'm out and about. The pocket gun means I'm never unarmed, and I have full size guns around the house as back ups.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ruger RAPc. Recoil destroyed my thumb knuckle.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Walther CCW, tons of failures not just one kind either. Couldn't find ammo that it liked, traded it in.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts