Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
For me it was a Kel Tec PF-9. I bought it before there were many sub compact 9mm options. I had the hard chrome model. It was reliable...but was absolutely miserable to shoot! My Glock 36 .45 acp or 2 3/4" .357 were both pleasant to shoot in comparison! It aggravated my RA tremendously. I got rid of it pretty quick!

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sig 290 RS . The gun functioned well, had a couple of rounds that needed a second strike when the gun was new (rs stands for restrike) I just could not like the trigger. It is DA. When I first joined the PD, we were issued revolvers. Put this in to show that I have had expierence with double action and then when going to semi-autos, we got Sig 226 DA/Sa.
Sold the 290RS.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a scary S&W model 36 several years ago , only one at the outdoor range hit the berm 2 lanes over . Same day getting ready to fire barely touched the trigger and gun fired down range . Too small for me sold it back to Pawn Shop and bought well used Model 65 , no more impulse buys after that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
bersa thunder 380acp: terrible slide bite that even a dremel couldn’t polish away.

naa black widow 22lr: ungainly even with cv revision grips and an unworkable cylinder release pin. naa bugout 22lr is a superb deep ccw, otoh.

ruger lcp2 22lr: uncomfortable to load and use, not the 2/3 sized, smooth, ruger sr22 that i wanted.

ruger lcp 380acp: 200% uncomfortable to shoot. thank god it was only borrowed, not briefly enough.

ruger sp101 38sp: after swapping out grips to find a comfortable hold, cylinder inexplicably locked up with live rounds in midst of practicing at shooting range. gunsmith fixed it later at some expense to me. never trusted it afterwards, traded it away.

bond arms roughneck 357/38 derringer: b.a.’s lesser polished budget edition is a highly polished turd of the first order. its barrel locked up on shooting, it wouldn’t accept other barrels. b.a. charged me for warranty repairs, yet it was still unable to swap out barrels as advertised. b.a. refused to answer my followup inquiries. “how to destroy your firm’s hard earned reputation in a few easy steps.” this from an otherwise contented owner of other original b.a. derringers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Lots of threads about what you carry etc etc etc...

What gun or guns were a total flop for you? Why was that the case? Too big, too small, didn’t work, hated the ergonomics?

For me it was the P365. Shot well, and I never had a hiccup with it. It was just too small for me. After almost a 1000 rounds I decided to part ways with it. I decided it wasn’t my thing...

Wow It took a 1000 rounds to figure that out . I did not like the size but my wife and I could shoot both the standard and the XL with a box of ammo for one rental fee about a1.5 years ago . The smaller version was a heck no with in one 10 round mag full fired by my wife and I had a cm9 kahr so nether of cared about a pocket sized pistol but we both liked the XL . After a couple years to let sig's normal gota buy it beta tester to find the week points and for sig to fix them we picked up a XL with thumb safety and a couple 15 mags to go with it last year built in May 2020 . MY wife shoots it real well buy still prefers to carry her 1911 9mm as I do a 45 version but we both do find time to carry it some mostly around the property . WE also have 2 10 round mags for it just in case capacity is an issue some where .

·
Registered
98 Posts
i just don't like the ergonomics of Glocks. got rid of a few

i had an FN i liked, but the stippling on the grip drove my hand nuts. gone

i just never cared for the VP9, but i love the VP9sk so much it's my carry gun. go figure...

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
You know Sig sells the XL kit for the 365 that is a drop in that makes it more into a glock 19 right .....Should help with size

Guns I hated

1. Bond arms derringer owned a few always hate them . Heavy kicked all the wrong ways and the safty etc sucked on them ..
2. Khar arms plastic guns .Jammy crap guns that sucked to take down .. The metal ones I like a little but still take down sucked
3. Sig 290 and other plastic guns bad trigger bad guns
4. VP70z .. Pull the trigger on one you will see what I hated it

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
I have always maintained that I am the WIll Rogers of the gun world: I never met a gun I didn't like.

Well...maybe I didn't exactly "like" the Lorcin...

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Glock 27. I bought it when I was still pretty inexperienced and did not like the snap. Was actually able to sell it for what I paid for it.

Sako 7mm Remington Magnum hunting rifle. I could not shoot it worth a damn. Did not like the balance, etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm....It had problems from the start with failures to extract even after a trip to the mother ship it was still unreliable.....We divorced and I moved on and couldn't be any happier with my other carry options.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have never really had a "flop" pistol, but there were two that just didn't work for me. I had an SP101 that was just too heavy for a compact snubby so it was traded. The surprise "flop" was an exceptional gun in almost every way except for the single action trigger. I had a SIG 226 that was so very accurate and so very reliable, but the single action trigger was so light that it went off like a machine gun if I wasn't extremely careful. I really liked the gun, but I just did not trust the SA. My M11-A1 and 220 are much better guns for me (emphasis on "for me").

·
Premium Member
3,163 Posts
Taurus PT-145. Could rarely get through a mag without a malfunction.

Taurus TCP738. Something in the trigger mechanism BROKE within the first three mags fired.

I bought the Bull and got the horns. Twice.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Taurus 9mm. Don't recall the exact model. Felt like I was trying to shoot from a water balloon.

Browning Hi-Power 9mm. Way too many sharp edges.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have two that haven’t worked out well for me.

1) Springfield XDs 9mm. This was the original version with the cheese grater for a grip. I sold it for 2.5x what I paid for it when we left California, and it sold, because guns that size are no longer available there. It was just uncomfortable and too heavy for its size and low capacity, but not as bad as #2 =>

2) Shield 40. The 40 is just too much power for the size/weight of this gun, for me. I could rarely shoot two mags thru it without it tearing thru the skin over my thumb knuckle. No other firearm does this to me. I have n’t sold it because it is the only 40 that I own, and I keep it as a stash gun. Once I can find a better firearm to replace it, I will.

I replaced #1 with a brace of 365s...much better gun in all respects.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ruger 3 inch .327 federal, the first generation. Sent it back for work, they kept it and gave me my choice of a replacement and soon after discontinued the gun.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Ruger 3 inch .327 federal, the first generation. Sent it back for work, they kept it and gave me my choice of a replacement and soon after discontinued the gun.

Inquiring minds want to know, what did you wind up replacing it with? :D Don't leave us hanging like that!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts