Defensive Carry banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had two defective guns out of perhaps 10 total. One was a 410 shotgun for home defense (yeah, I know, I was young and stupid...) and the other just a few years ago when I bought a new S&W M&P 2.0 3.6" 40 Cal. It just refused to hit the target for me, shooting low every time. I've always shot expert throughout my military career and it was extremely frustrating to shoot so low consistently. Or conversely, have to aim high to hit the bullseye.

I got rid of it, waited a year, bought another identical gun, and the honeymoon period is still not over. I am in love. Shoots great. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ruger LC9. The original. I don't think Ruger could have intentionally designed a trigger worse than the one on that POS. To their credit, the later LC9s Pro 9mm has a decent trigger and is well suited as a deep cover CCW pistol. No, not the most enjoyable for target practice or recreational shooting but it's a worthy CCW pistol when (the lack of) size is important. The original LC9 is so bad, I'd feel guilty selling it to anyone. I wish Ruger would do a buy-back or give purchasers of that junk a "store credit" so I could get something decent with otherwise wasted money.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ruger LC9. The original. I don't think Ruger could have intentionally designed a trigger worse than the one on that POS. To their credit, the later LC9s Pro 9mm has a decent trigger and is well suited as a deep cover CCW pistol. No, not the most enjoyable for target practice or recreational shooting but it's a worthy CCW pistol when (the lack of) size is important. The original LC9 is so bad, I'd feel guilty selling it to anyone. I wish Ruger would do a buy-back or give purchasers of that junk a "store credit" so I could get something decent with otherwise wasted money.
I have one and I have just trained myself to make the best of it. Still can keep the whole magazine in a paper plate at 10 yards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That’s funny...but you sound like a smart man.

Have you tried the M&P 2.0 compact? I really like mine, and it shoots great.

I hated my Glocks to start with...and a G19 was my first ever gun purchase. I took some time away from it and finally decided I was going to figure it out. I don’t have a gen 5 19...but removing the finger grooves on my Gen 4 and a slight trigger guard under cut made the difference for me.
I went to range today, shot a MP 2.0 4”
Like the feel, the grip and weight, not too much kick. Love the multiple back strap options to tweak the grip.
shot well in close distances wandered a little on longer shots, and rapid fire. Thought it might be me, pulled my carry out and shot well ( as some days you just suck at accuracy 🤨 I wanted to check myself)
i think my issue was the trigger action , was something I would need to adjust to.
Waiting on a few on my review list to hit the rental area, or get to shoot a buddies.
Been looking into trigger options for G19 and maybe Hogue grip as first upgrades.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I am a huge Beretta 92 fan but I would have to say that the "compact" version of the 92 is anything but that. A total flop for a compact pistol in my opinion as it is way too large and bulky. I have a 92 compact just to have a sample of one for my large model 92 collection but I never use it as my CZ-75 compact is far superior as a compact pistol.

Exact same experience here. Too big. I was heartbroken in the end. I love the style and it shot great but it just did not fit my hand at all. Finally sold it to a friend. Ex Marine... if there is such a thing. He grew up with those things. Its a shame. I hated it didn't fit me.

And for me the Sig P365 was the total opposite from some of you. Fits me real good. So go figure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me it was a KEl-TEC PF9 and a Tarus Millennium Pro in .40cal. The KEL-TEC jammed so badly that I had to send it for repairs after firing only 200 rounds thru it. The Tarus had frequent failure to feed and failure eject and I traded it in.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Not really a total flop, but just didn't work out for me, Kimber Micro-9 CSE Crimson. I bought it with the intention of being my deep concealment gun, at the same time my wife got her P365.
It got retired pretty quickly, as I really hate the trigger on it, and I'm not as accurate with it as I am with a P365. I bought a P365 several months later.
Lots of great guns out there. But if it doesn't fit you, it's not a good gun for you. I always tell someone looking for a gun to test one first before buying. Some people don't listen and give the gun to their grandchild who loves it.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Lots of great guns out there. But if it doesn't fit you, it's not a good gun for you. I always tell someone looking for a gun to test one first before buying. Some people don't listen and give the gun to their grandchild who loves it.
Yeah, I actually did that - test the Kimber micro-9 - before buying it. The one I tested had a much better trigger, probably much lighter than the factory spec of 7 lbs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With all the new guns constantly hitting the market, I'm a huge fan of "buy & try" to see if a prefer anything over my Glocks I've been shooting and carrying over the past 30 years. Everyone is different. What works for me may not work for you. And that's why I'm a big fan a buy and try.
Here's some winners.
CZ75 series
Staccato P
HK VP9

And here's the losers.
IWI Masada - Hated the recoil Impulse and just didn't shoot it well.
Beretta APX - Very little recoil, but it prefers hotter ammo (Nato spec?). I really have to concentrate to hit POA. It's extremely hard to rack the slide. I get a lot of failures with my reloads due to the heavy recoil spring. But even if that wasn't the issue, I just don't shoot it well.
Springfield XD - We demo'd these when they first came out and ran some USPSA type courses with them. I wasn't a fan (compared to my Glocks). And the trigger actually made my trigger finger bleed after a few 100 rounds. Probably the sharpness of the trigger safety?
M&P 2.0 - I really didn't like the rough grip texture and never shot mine well (.40 & 9mm conversion barrel). I tried the Apex sear, but it didn't help me much. I do have a 1.0 compact in .45 with Apex sear which I do like and shoot fairly well.
HK45C - Just too much recoil. I do love the full size HK45
1911's - I love them, but just don't shoot them all that well. Some better than others. I do shoot the 2011's well though. I really think it's the recoil impulse of the .45 acp.
Walther PP series - Never shoot these well.
Glock 42 - Both I've owned have been ammo finicky. I had one of the first ones that came out, & bought a new one 6 months ago. Same issues.
Large Frame Glocks - Never seem to shoot these large frames as well as the smaller frames. And I've got big hands.

I'll continue on my Buy & Try journey. Up next with be the Sig 320 & 365. My buddy just bought a 365XL. He said his first range trip with it and he shot it better than any Glock he's owned. And he's been a Glock guy for 25+ years.

·
Registered
40,098 Posts
My flop, if you can call it that, was a foreign-made piece of junk western-style .22 revolver. The barrel would work loose after about six shots and throw bullets and lead shavings all over the place. It was just as dangerous to stand beside it when fired as in front of it. It was worth every bit of the $25 I paid for it, and not a penny more.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Yeah, I actually did that - test the Kimber micro-9 - before buying it. The one I tested had a much better trigger, probably much lighter than the factory spec of 7 lbs.
I guess you need to find out what the owner did to it and duplicate the mods.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Lots of threads about what you carry etc etc etc...

What gun or guns were a total flop for you? Why was that the case? Too big, too small, didn’t work, hated the ergonomics?

For me it was the P365. Shot well, and I never had a hiccup with it. It was just too small for me. After almost a 1000 rounds I decided to part ways with it. I decided it wasn’t my thing...
Ruger LCP. Not a "total floop" (sic), but I found it to be totally unfun and unrewarding to shoot. I keep it around for those times I might need a very deep concealment piece.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
The owner was the local range, and it was a rental. Probably has just seen LOTS of rounds.
LOL! I tested mine at the local range too. Three different models actually. Not much different from the new one I bought. I did take some crocus cloth and buffed up the rails and a few of the friction points when I bought it, just enough to polish up any rough edges and coatings, mild prewear essentially. Smooth as silk from the first trigger pull.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Beretta 92 .... I purchased a LNIB at a local pawnshop.. at a very good deal ... I just couldn’t warm up to it ... After second range trip it went on my trade list ...
Function , Fit and Finish, perfect... just not for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,785 Posts
My strugglebunny was a 1st-generation Taurus Millenniun in 9mm. Gun Tests magazine touted it highly, so I sought one out in my favorite gun store. The restrike feature of its double action was a great selling point. And at the time of the AWB and 10-round mag limits, 11 rounds of 9mm +P struck me as a positive step up from a 5-shot .38 snub of similar weight.

I worked that gun until I learned where its trigger broke, and became pretty proficient with it. But at my first range outing after moving to AZ, it failed to go bang more than a couple of times so it was returned to the factory. It came back 3 weeks later and worked just fine. Meanwhile, moving to an OC state led me to a Kimber CDPII (Kimber's version of a LW Commander with a melt job) in .45 ACP, and the Millennium got less use, although it was still on active duty in the rotation. Then I noticed a cracked plastic component in the fire control mechanism while cleaning it. This time the trip back to Taurus cost me $85 for overnight shipping, and although it ran fine when it came back, I had lost confidence in the gun. I sold it to a friend and made him promise not to carry it as a defensive arm. That was the first gun I sold and I don't regret it. FWIW, my Taurus revolvers are solid shooters and have had zero problems in over 20 years.

·
Premium Member
6,332 Posts
I've had three "Flops"; all of them many years ago (1970's or so). Nothing to do with the size, or ergonomics. They just didn't work worth squat no matter what my smith(s) tried to do to them:

Llama III-A - Really cool-looking little pistol in .380 ACP. Maybe the first "Mini-1911". Never made it through a mag without a FTF of some sort, and it started falling apart after a couple hundred rounds.

Sterling M302 Stainless - Tiny little .22LR for deep concealment. Never made it through a mag without a FTF of some sort, and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn.

AMT Backup .380 - Maybe the most powerful pistol for its size on the market at the time. Great concept, but a total dud IRL. Never made it through a mag without a FTF of some sort.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts