Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After yesterdays range trip, I did as I usually do. I filled a 30 cal can with range brass. I know what I shot, 250rds of 9mm and 100rds 45ACP, but based on head stamps and primer marks, most of this isn't mine. This is what was swept up from 7 lanes within 20 minutes of me packing up.

CW from top left: 9mm, 45ACP, 380ACP, 40S&W

IMG_0092.jpg

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
See? With 9mm it takes more bullets to get the job done. :lol:

The proportion seems to make sense. Of course 9mm is popular, and most 380 probably goes through micro pistols these days, and I doubt most people shoot more than a box per session.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I always bring a few of my guns just to exercise them and me. I start with big bores (45s and 10mm), then with .357 and 9mm. Then .22lrs to see if I develop the flinch which is always there awhile and disappear after a few mags. I usually run my guns slightly wet so after shooting, I just swab the bores clean. I disassemble after about 3 months of shooting. Glocks; maybe after 500 rounds thru them.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The 9mm-Luger is simply more cost effective and popular to shoot as opposed to the 45ACP. It surprises me that 40 S&W isn't better represented quantity wise. I thought it to be more popular apparently not. The 380 Auto not surprising. On very rear occasions I've found 32 and 25 Auto.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Just from my own totally unscientific observations I pick up lots of range brass, and I find them in this order ...
9mm
40 cal
45 acp
and then way down the list I find a few 380acp's
I almost never find more than a mag full of .380's at a time though.

Every time I hear that .40 cal is dyeing I chuckle a little to my self. I pick up lots of them at the range! DR

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always bring a few of my guns just to exercise them and me. I start with big bores (45s and 10mm), then with .357 and 9mm. Then .22lrs to see if I develop the flinch which is always there awhile and disappear after a few mags. I usually run my guns slightly wet so after shooting, I just swab the bores clean. I disassemble after about 3 months of shooting. Glocks; maybe after 500 rounds thru them.
After reading this I got to thinking....I do something similar. However, I recognized a pattern. I shoot the caliber I carry the most the least. I always have my LCP on me. My other carry guns are carried whenever they make sense. But I shoot the .380 the least.

Probably need to rethink that.

r

·
Registered
10,689 Posts
After yesterdays range trip, I did as I usually do. I filled a 30 cal can with range brass. I know what I shot, 250rds of 9mm and 100rds 45ACP, but based on head stamps and primer marks, most of this isn't mine. This is what was swept up from 7 lanes within 20 minutes of me packing up.
Actually, that's a good start at science. If you collect enough samples from multiple trips to the range, especially not your own brass, you could do a study about what people shoot at that particular range in your particular part of your state. You could not make reasonable projections about other ranges in other states, but what you have collected would allow you to make projections about your area. That's a good start at science.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After reading this I got to thinking....I do something similar. However, I recognized a pattern. I shoot the caliber I carry the most the least. I always have my LCP on me. My other carry guns are carried whenever they make sense. But I shoot the .380 the least.

Probably need to rethink that.

r
The guy in the lane next to me had three guns. An HK and P938 in 9mm, and an LCP. He shot 200 rds between the HK and Sig, and less than a half a box through the LCP. Guess which one went back in his pocket when he left?

I carry a P938 as a BUG, and shoot at least a box of FMJ and two magazines of my carry ammo every session. It's not my favorite part of the session by any means, but I feel like I need the trigger time with it. Especially since it's the only gun I currently carry with a safety.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My LCP goes with me everywhere. When I hit the range I always shoot at least 200.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Ian, when ya' said "unscientific" you were NOT ...exaggerating. Your statistical sample is so small & gathered in such a way that three (supervised) Cub Scouts with an ol' Tokarev could have caused you to believe the 7.62x25 was the new...10mm! :wink:

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's logistics. I do the same thing. I always find more 9mm. The simple fact is it's the cheapest, center fire pistol ammo to shoot. Combine that with the fact that more novice shooters pick a gun in 9 Luger for there first handgun than one chambered in another caliber. It's what they are exposed to the most. Not everyone makes informed decisions. I bet if you asked the general public, say 5000 people what caliber gun police carry. The answer most of the time would be 9 mm. Now before I start getting all these quotes about me saying that the 9mm is for the novice, that is not by no means what I said or ment. So let's get that straight right now. The 9 mm Luger is my choice of caliber! I am no expert but I ain't no novice. I've been carrying for over 35 years. I'm just saying that it makes sense that you would find more 9mm brass at a public range than any other caliber

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
When I go to the range I will bring the same caliber pistols. I went a week ago and shot 3 9mm pistols. Next I go I'll shoot 3 45 pistols. Usually a couple of hundred rounds through the 3 guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts