Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father expressed interest in buying a handgun since he does not own one for his personal use. After a bit of conversation he mentioned liking Glocks after having fired mine on a few occations and wanted 9mm (cost of ammo and capacity was a concern in this decision). Anyhow I had been thinking of maybe giving him one of mine to save him some cash up front and then let him buy lots of ammo instead. Problem is I don't know which one of my 9mm Glocks I'd give up (have both a G19 and G17).

Given this situation would you keep the G19 or the G17? I have a G23 which is my new carry choice replacing my G19. Size won't matter, he won't be carrying it. Or should I not mention it and let him buy his own? I was just thinking it would be a good idea to give him one as a gift and then let him invest the money into ammo for range time which would be very beneficial to any shooter with a new gun.

What do you all think? Keep em both and let him buy one if he really wants, or give him the gun and let him save money for ammo? I have been thinking about this since the conversation we had this morning about it, but I keep going back and forth.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I would lay my collection in front of my dad and tell him he could have whatever he chooses.

Guns can be replaced. Dads can't, and mine won't be around much longer.

I would do this ESPECIALLY if he didn't have a gun at all for self-defense.

You've got the rest of your life to add to your collection, but maybe only a small window of time to give something to your dad.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would lay my collection in front of my dad and tell him he could have whatever he chooses.

You've got the rest of your life to add to your collection, but maybe only a small window of time to give something to your dad.
He has a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Just seemed interested in a pistol, auto, and he has experience with Glock and liked them when we went to the range with mine. He said he might buy one. Figured, save him the ~$500 and he can buy ammo instead. I know for a fact he would buy a 9mm if he went out and actually bought one, he already commented on ammo prices and it's what he's fired and is familiar with outside 1911s in .45acp.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I think that I would give him the same one that he had previously fired, which should have been the one that he liked.

You are a good son.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
He has a Mossberg 500 shotgun. Just seemed interested in a pistol, auto, and he has experience with Glock and liked them when we went to the range with mine. He said he might buy one. Figured, save him the ~$500 and he can buy ammo instead.
I think it's very nice of you to consider giving him one. Picking a gun for your dad may be like picking one for a wife: it's usually best to let them pick it. He may have taken a particular liking to one of your pistols, but he might not admit it if you offered him a different one.

I think it's a great idea to give him one, but I'd still let him choose.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would say if you were going to give up a Glock, probably the 19. Just in case he ever does decide to CCW, it is a little easier than with the 17 due to the size. Also, you already have complete confidence in any Glock you would hand over to your father. Therefore, you could have the peace of mind in knowing that it will not fail if he ever needs to count on it.

Personally, it would be my honor to have my father use or carry one of my guns.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If this were my situation, I would take my dad to my local gun store and say, "Dad, take your pick, this one is on me. Thanks for all you have done to raise me right!"

I am actually thinking of purchasing a Ruger LCP 380 for my brother. He has been there for me through the toughest of times. What is a family for?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that I would give him the same one that he had previously fired, which should have been the one that he liked.

You are a good son.
Well, he fired everything I have at one point or another. It's simply a matter of which one would find a better home. Glocks are all so similar, especially a G17 and G19 that outside of carry I don't think the differences are all that great.

I think that next time we go to the range, I'll pose a question to him and basically tell him whichever one he wants he can have.

I was really wondering if there was any reason I should keep one over the other. I honestly don't think he'd know the difference between them, except size. I can't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be any differences for him accuracy wise between either.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Since his only intent is to have a home/range/fun gun, I'd suggest you offer him the G17. It's a full size gun and will be a little softer on recoil. The longer sight radius will be a big help for older eyes. It will probably mean more to him, that you gave it to him.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well, he fired everything I have at one point or another. It's simply a matter of which one would find a better home. Glocks are all so similar, especially a G17 and G19 that outside of carry I don't think the differences are all that great.

I think that next time we go to the range, I'll pose a question to him and basically tell him whichever one he wants he can have.

I was really wondering if there was any reason I should keep one over the other. I honestly don't think he'd know the difference between them, except size. I can't remember specifics, but there didn't seem to be any differences for him accuracy wise between either.
In that case, I would give him the G17. I would keep the G19 in case I decide to carry it as an alternate to the G23.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
In this instance, I'd more than likely give up my G17. It's mainly my match pistol now, and I would rather do without that than one of my carry pistols like the G19. It's for a good cause, but I'd still be hard pressed to part with any of my Glocks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
If this were my situation, I would take my dad to my local gun store and say, "Dad, take your pick, this one is on me. Thanks for all you have done to raise me right!"

I am actually thinking of purchasing a Ruger LCP 380 for my brother. He has been there for me through the toughest of times. What is a family for?
+1

That is exactly what I would do. For all my father did for me over the years, it would be the least that I could do.

Merry Christmas Dad!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
If he's using it HD...G17. All the way. I also agree with Grady in just letting him choose.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I would have given my dad anything he wanted...he would have (and did on many occasions) wanted me to choose, he was great to me. This is the time to let your dad choose, and encourage him to take what you think would be the very 'best' choice for his needs.

I agree with Grady's two posts...:yup::king:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Growing up I remember Dad gave me everything I needed and a lot of what I wanted. Let him choose the one he likes best.
Beyond the material things Dad gave me, he gave me time, love, encouragement, confidence, a sense of responsibility and so many other things I am thankful for.
Dad knows that if I ever have something he needs, it's his as long as he wants or needs it.
Alternatively consider it a loan for as long as he needs it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This.

Also, encourage him to invest in some training -- and if you can swing it, go with him. Money spent on the brain is never spent in vain.

pax

·
Banned
160 Posts
What Grady said.
Good post Mr.Grady. You were great on Sanford and Son.

A good Dad is the best thing a man can have or be .

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

+1!

What more could I say..... nothin:hand5:

·
Registered
862 Posts
I personally would keep the G23 and give him the options of buying the G19/17 and let him have his pick.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts

+1^^^^
grady is cool!

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

1 - 20 of 23 Posts