Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started tracking ammunition prices for .223/5.56 and 9mm a month ago via AmmoSeek.

I spot-check it a few times a day and record the lowest price per round.
  • Only ammo from reputable manufacturers.
  • Only prices from reputable (4 star or higher) vendors.
  • Only factory new brass case ammo.
  • Shipping cost is not included, so low per round is not the whole story. But, it's easier and quicker to track.
  • Below are the weekly averages of the daily lows.

·
Premium Member
5,171 Posts
Good info to be aware of, thank you, ScemaEnigma.

·
Premium Member
37,592 Posts
Thanks for the information. Would be interesting to see the price for the last year.
Before the wheels fell off, I was buying name brand 9mm fmj for about $175/case, and .45 acp for about $230/case, delivered. I picked up a case of .45 Golden Saber +P for four hundred bucks.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That's some very handy tracking data. Although I understand the difficulty in incorporating shipping in the equation, it makes a heck of a lot of difference in the final cost per round.

A couple months ago I bought four boxes of Winchester 9mm NATO advertised at 65¢/round but with shipping came to 84¢/round. I did the math before I made the purchase so I wasn't surprised -- I wanted some 124gr range ammo that came close to the +p I carry to sight-in a pistol optic -- so I bit the bullet, so to speak, and got it.

All I'm saying is shipping is a big factor in price-per-round, as is sales tax if it's collected.

Look close.

PS: does anyone think brass 9mm prices will drop to 20¢-25¢ a round?

__

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Nice job with the tracking data. I haven’t kept records the way you have, but I have observed prices beginning to come down. I hope the trend continues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I'm saying is shipping is a big factor in price-per-round, as is sales tax if it's collected.
All true, but besides being a tremendous amount of work to determine the low cost of ammo price + shipping, since I'd have to actually go to the vendor sites and pretend to be buying it, enter address, etc... and then compare the results across the bottom 5 or 6 (or maybe more) vendors, shipping and taxes would be different depending on where you live.

I was only looking at the trends anyway.

BTW, so far week 5 is showing price increases for .223 SP, 9mm HP and .223 FMJ. :( But, that's just one day, so we'll see. Although this would be the 2nd consecutive week of price increases for 9mm HPs.

·
Registered
467 Posts
All true, but besides being a tremendous amount of work to determine the low cost of ammo price + shipping, since I'd have to actually go to the vendor sites and pretend to be buying it, enter address, etc... and then compare the results across the bottom 5 or 6 (or maybe more) vendors, shipping and taxes would be different depending on where you live.

I was only looking at the trends anyway.
I certainly understand your not wanting to factor in shipping prices. That would be a royal pain.

Please continue to post occasional graph updates of you have time and the inclination. It's very interesting. Thanks!

__

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Good job. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: 4Bama

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I check daily for 40, 10, 45, and primers. While I'd love to add more to the stockpile, prices still need to come down another 5-10 cents per round for me to consider a purchase. I might consider small pistol primers if they drop below 15 cents per, but would love for them to come down to 10 cents per or lower. I have noticed that a lot of the vendors on there seem to have a fixed shipping rate, so in theory all one would have to do is check the vendor once, to see what the shipping is, and go from there.

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
I have the luxury of ignoring prices for the foreseeable future having prepared for this eventuality. The only thing I hadn't counted on was .38 special in 158 grain for shooting a new Henry rifle as a cheaper alternative to shooting .357 magnums.

Reactions: Workaholic

·
Registered
995 Posts
Great work!

Prices are dropping but not fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Week 5 update.

5.56 FMJ is still dropping and is down 21% from 5 weeks ago, but .223 FMJ has increased a bit (down 11% over the 5 weeks) and is now averaging more than the 5.56.

.223 SP has leveled off, down 12% over 5 weeks.

9mm FMJ light continues to drop and is now down 16%. 9mm FMJ heavy also continues to fall, down 21%,
However, 9mm defense ammo (JHP) has increased in price two weeks in a row and is now only down 1% over the 5 weeks.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I went to bass pro this past weekend and they had Winchester white box 9mm 50 rds for $19.99. That's still not as low as it was before covid but it's the cheapest I've seen it since the beginning of covid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts