Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a 9mm Glock 26 with Gold Dot 124gr +p ammo. Will this penetrate a semi's windshield?

How much thicker is a semi windshield vs a typical car or truck?

Just curious, these terrorist attacks aren't going to stop anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
The semis I have driven had the same thickness as four wheeler windshields just bigger. As far as penetration it will depend more on angle than caliber, if you hit it at a low angle there is a good chance of ricochet rather than penetration.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Windshields are all two layers of tempered glass laminated together with a clear film between them. That's what gives them the ability to break without spraying glass all over the driver if there's an impact. Gold Dot, HST, Ranger, Critical Duty should all perform well in windscreen penetration. That's one reason those rounds are carried by so many LEO.

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
One thing that may be an advantage is most semi windshields are more straight up and down than the average passenger car. The downside to that is the height above the ground.

Last winter I saw a truck windshield that caught a rock from a snowplow. It left a quarter size hole and the rock was embedded in the passenger seat.
My guess is that the average pistol bullet is going to do at least as well as that rock. JMHO

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Back when I was repairing trucks there were still a lot of cab overs on the road. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a nude woman will break the windshield out when she falls from the sleeper as you jack up the cab. So will the jar of pennies the drivers forget remove from its wedged in spot by the mattress.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Although it doesn't affect ballistic resistance, modern NTSB safety standards require that semi windshields meet the 1-6P/LL standard. This mandates that they withstand an impact at 64 fps by a single lot lizard of sufficient girth and hideousness to require no less than 1 six pack be consumed before letting her slither into the sleeper.

The same study during the 80's attempted to set a limit on impact by spare change, but as they attempted to establish this value in a dollar amount, after 8 years of the last administration windshields would have had to be 2" thick and steel reinforced, so they dropped that requirement.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Although it doesn't affect ballistic resistance, modern NTSB safety standards require that semi windshields meet the 1-6P/LL standard. This mandates that they withstand an impact at 64 fps by a single lot lizard of sufficient girth and hideousness to require no less than 1 six pack be consumed before letting her slither into the sleeper.

The same study during the 80's attempted to set a limit on impact by spare change, but as they attempted to establish this value in a dollar amount, after 8 years of the last administration windshields would have had to be 2" thick and steel reinforced, so they dropped that requirement.
I blew jack and coke on my iPad.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
One thing that may be an advantage is most semi windshields are more straight up and down than the average passenger car. The downside to that is the height above the ground.

Last winter I saw a truck windshield that caught a rock from a snowplow. It left a quarter size hole and the rock was embedded in the passenger seat.
My guess is that the average pistol bullet is going to do at least as well as that rock. JMHO

That was one of those tactical assault rocks.

Reactions: Pijo73

·
Registered
323 Posts
couple good ones,
but in reality truck windshields are only as strong as what you find in a detroit made cage. fed law says strength.
but with that said anything at the right speed and angle will go through.

and stevew, better clean up the dust before logging off. ;-O

·
Registered
821 Posts
The semis I have driven had the same thickness as four wheeler windshields just bigger. As far as penetration it will depend more on angle than caliber, if you hit it at a low angle there is a good chance of ricochet rather than penetration.
I saw something to this effect posted by Mas Ayoob saying basically the same. Aim as straight as you're able due to angles and deflection and such. Windshield angles (usually) slanted so aiming from a bit higher (tough to do) and downward would help. As far as penetration, think about the Hornady FTX round with the rubber insert to help with penetration (keeps the cavity clear...). Works on 2-legged "barriers", too. :wink:

·
Premium Member
36,781 Posts
After the truck deal in Germany, the OP may be a bit more relevant than originally considered

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Just my 2 cents, if this post is related to the large vehicle attacks that have (seemingly) begun occuring:

Getting off a shot or shots that stop the driver instantly will be even less likely than getting a shot that stops any attacker on foot instantly....likely the driver will continue on and on for sometime with most hits, even multiple hits.

We've all seen the videos and read the shooting files on people carrying on fighting even after being shot multiple times, even if they do die later.

The focus needs to be on disabling those vehicles. Not likely with sidearms. But event producers and communities will start focusing on barriers more now, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts