Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No: I would keep the Mini 14

Votes: 32 82.1%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently handled an SU16 and gotta admit, it felt solid, lightweight, strudy, etc. Did some Internet research and the reviews seem to be positive. Now I am pondering trading my Mini14 for the SU16. So, If you had a Mini14, would you trade it for the SU16? If you could Please vote and explain your vote. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I probably wouldnt. The mini14 isnt the perfect rifle, but it is a solid design that has been around for a long time. There is a lot of support for the rifle. That cannot be said for the SU16. My answer is no, I wouldnt trade.
Another thing to consider is how deep are you in the Mini? What I mean is, do you have a lot of mags or accessories that need to be factored in on your losses?

·
Registered
194 Posts
My SU16C has never been anything but uber reliable and fun. And unlike the Mini 14 the SU will take many AR type parts to make it as unique as you'd like.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I'd say keep the mini 14. By God, if it was good enough for the A-Team, it's good enough for you. :duh:

(Yes, I know it was actually the AC-556 they used on the show....)

Seriously though, hold onto your Ruger.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
If I was in the market for a carbine, I would give the SU-16 a look. Like you I already have a Mini 14, and I see no reason to change.

Yes, the Mini mags cost more, but really - how many do you need? Unless you do competition, you had better hope you don't need too many!:gah: I have one aftermarket 30-rd mag (feeds well, but will not drop free unless I pull it out), and one Ruger 20-rd and one 5-rd mag. If I need more than 55 rounds to solve my problem, I'm up the creek anyway...:scruntiny:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love my mini. Built like a tank. First three shots are spot on and tight. (Yeah, it walks a bit after if warms up, but it was never offered as a match rifle. As they say, it's minute of felon accurate.) And mine is stainless, to boot.

PC

·
Registered
182 Posts
Depends on the age of your mini. The last new one I picked up looked like it had been polished with 80 grit.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The Mini-14 is tough, simple and reliable. if I still had one I wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I have an SU16.

I would trade it for a Mini, but not the other way around. It's cheap, I don't much care about it and makes a good rifle to throw in the truck to plink coyotes and rabbits. As a defensive rifle you can do a lot better, and I think the Mini is a step or two, maybe three, above the SU16.

Biker

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would not trade mine for the SU-16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts