Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Where speed of presentation=what and where it's carried

Thoughts?
Umm, there is no correlation between the two.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I will take quicker presentation over more capacity for my lifestyle and the places I tend to spend most of my time when away from home. I personally think that first shot is more of an advantage than having more rounds. First shot, even if it is a miss, will almost surely cause somewhat of a slight mental delay with an attacker...that might give an opportunity for a better placed second shot. Also, with the guns available to us, there is really no reason to have to choose between these two things.

I think appendix is quicker...but I know that I will not carry in that position...I will take my chances with3- 4 o'clock.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
As an example are you saying you see no difference between pocket carry or ankle carry? I think the pocket gun would be faster to present.
The topic is: "Trade off between speed of presentation and ammo capacity"

and as I wrote earlier, "there is no correlation between the two".

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Perhaps the most important part isn't the presentation nor is it the capacity but is knowing when presentation is necessary. I think (my opinion) most ordinary folks are behind the curve right from the get go and will wait way too long before the realization they must do something hits. Such as even if the threat is real and immediate they wait until the knife or gun is seen.

But to answer the question asked I have to say all the ammo in the world won't help if the gun can't be presented in time to fire it.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
The topic is: "Trade off between speed of presentation and ammo capacity"

and as I wrote earlier, "there is no correlation between the two".
Here's the correlation,

speed of presentation= location
ammo capacity as it relates to speed of presentation= examples
1. G26 in an ankle holster, nah, too heavy as a double stack [ easier to access, more capacity ]
2. G36 in an ankle holster, easier to conceal with less weight [ slower to access, less capacity ]
3. NAA 22mag PUG carried in your shorts at appendix in deep concealment role [ slower to present/access ]
3. NAA 22mag G17 carried in your shorts [ faster to present due to double stack grip and moire ammo ]
4. S+W shield appendix without extended mag [ harder to access with smaller grip ]
5. S+W shield appendix with extended mag [ easier to access with larger grip and more ammo ]
6. 5 shot J frame with Berami hip grip appendix carried, slower to access
7. G17 with kydex or leather holster carried appendix, faster to access

So there's a correlation between guns that hold less amounts of ammo being used in deeper concealment than larger mid or full size guns like a G17 usually put in a belted holster. Deeper concealment usually means smaller firearms with less capacity placed in positions that can hamper presentation.

I know it takes me more time to acquire a proper hold on the G26 without extension than the G17 in the same location. It takes me longer to acquire the NAA PUG from appendix than my G17, you get the idea.

There's a trade off, and if you've not seen a trade off, it's because you haven't taken the time to understand what your draw speed is with various firearms/handguns to know there's a difference between accessing smaller guns with less capacity vs larger guns with more capacity.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Autoloaders that allow only a two finger grip are generally slower for me to draw and present properly than the same pistol with an extended magazine affording a three finger grip.

More importantly, the extended mag version allows me a consistent draw and presentation. The abbreviated version sees an occasional hiccup during fast draw dry fire practice.

The extended version often allows an extra round or two which I prefer as well unless the extension dramatically affects concealability.

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
There's a trade off, and if you've not seen a trade off, it's because you haven't taken the time to understand what your draw speed is with various firearms/handguns to know there's a difference between accessing smaller guns with less capacity vs larger guns with more capacity.
This is true.

And it is painstakingly obvious when you are trying to go for real speed ( say, 5 shots in 4 seconds from the draw:wink:)
The g26, as I carry it, is biased for concealment, without the pinky grip or extension, which effects both draw speed and presentation, but it’s a compromise that I accept.

But the differences will become evident under application.

Reactions: Havok and AzQkr

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I come late to this thread considering when it originated, but never too late. I have a strong opinion based on real life experience. In order of importance the three decisive factors are:

1. Accuracy – if you cannot hit the target quickly, you are at step one of losing the fight.
2- Speed of Presentation – Precise accuracy coupled with pesentation and traget acquisition is critical. Being slow does not win gunfights.
3- Ammo Capacity – if you do not hit the target witht the first three rounds you are unlikely to hit it with the next fourteen.

Today, I have changed fro IWB carry either back pocket carry dee concealment of my RM380 (thanks to @AzQkr) or I carry OWB at 2:30 o'clock using a shirt as a cloak. I carry IWB when I have to have better concealment than OWB which is not often. I choose OWB at 2;30 0'clock because mostly my hands are at my sides. I can grasp the pistol very quickly, clear the holster, and be on target in less than 2 seconds.

I carry a PPS M2 that way because it is easily concealed OWB (see photos), reliable and accurate. I carry 7+1 with confidence because I am a good shot, and I am not getting into a running gun fight. Presented with that scenario I am using each round to cover my retreat. Two tours in NAM with a M1911 as primary in a belt carried holster at 3 o'clock convinced me that 7+0 rounds was fine if you were fast and accurate. today I go 7+1 with two extra mags. I can switch out mags very quickly if need be in covering that retreat I mentioned above.

I learned this the hard way. Getting shot at sucks. Getting shot sucks even more. I would have only one objective in a gunfight, that is, to get the perp to disengage as quickly as possible whether by shooting him or scaring him. His choice.

This is my OWB EDC rig witht eh PPS M2.

fullsizeoutput_17b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_17c.jpeg

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
1942bull, does that front sight ever catch on that holster during the draw?
I have a couple like that, did a lot of draw and shoot, and practice draws and never had any issue with that.

Reactions: Struckat

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
1942bull, does that front sight ever catch on that holster during the draw?
Never. The holster is basically a leather retainer that retains the gun and protects the trigger. Since the gun is wide the linear axis of the slide is riding between the belt and the holster leather retainer. When you draw the sight does not come even in near contact with either the belt retainer. Think of it this way, the belt and the retainer strap form a holster. Like any holster the sight axis is between the two and therefore clears both. What is amazing is that after dozens of holsters in my life my EDC model cost $10 at Walmart. It is the Fiocchi Foldaway.you get two retainer straps. One for subcompact and one for compact and larger.

Reactions: Struckat

·
Premium Member
34,142 Posts
I come late to this thread considering when it originated, but never too late. I have a strong opinion based on real life experience. In order of importance the three decisive factors are:

1. Accuracy — if you cannot hit the target quickly, you are at step one of losing the fight.
2- Speed of Presentation — Precise accuracy coupled with pesentation and traget acquisition is critical. Being slow does not win gunfights.
3- Ammo Capacity — if you do not hit the target with the first three rounds you are unlikely to hit it with the next fourteen.
Sound rationale is never late to the party.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don’t have a dog in this fight as I’m not particularly fast and carry a 5 shot snub. I practice as much as I can. If I had to choose between speed and capacity I would choose speed with an emphasis on accuracy. 9/10ths of a second is impressive.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Reactions: G-man*

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is true.

And it is painstakingly obvious when you are trying to go for real speed ( say, 5 shots in 4 seconds from the draw:wink:)
The g26, as I carry it, is biased for concealment, without the pinky grip or extension, which effects both draw speed and presentation, but it’s a compromise that I accept.

But the differences will become evident under application.
That example isn’t that “speedy” to some of us. :icon_mrgreen:

·
Registered
18,574 Posts
That example isn’t that “speedy” to some of us. :icon_mrgreen:
No it’s not. Especially if you aren’t trying for a smaller area than anywhere on the body at close range.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I don’t have a dog in this fight as I’m not particularly fast and carry a 5 shot snub. I practice as much as I can. If I had to choose between speed and capacity I would choose speed with an emphasis on accuracy. 9/10ths of a second is impressive.
As The Guru liked to say, "Draw quickly, shoot carefully".

Reactions: G-man*
81 - 100 of 101 Posts