Defensive Carry banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would trade a XDM9 with all gear, 4 mags, PCP trigger upgrade, and TFO sights for Sig Sauer P229 with 2 mags. How would the P229 compare for conceal carry. XDM handle sticks out a little too far sometimes.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
The P229 is a much more expensive gun, but you did not indicate condition of either weapon. If you are trading a XDM with 50 rounds through it for a P229 that was a LEO issued weapon 15 years ago and has had 4000 + round through it, it may not be a good trade. If you are trading an XDM with 500 round for a Sig with 500 rounds you are coming out way ahead in value. Condition, care, amount of use/wear, etc. mean a lot.

On occasion I carry a P229 SCT, my third P229; they are thick guns, but I have no issue concealing one. You will see a slight weight increase over your XDM due to the Sig's aluminum frame, but to me that isn't much of an issue if you are using a good concealment rig. The P229's are very accurate and highly reliable weapons, one of my personal favorite hand guns. You are moving from a striker fired gun to DA/SA or DAO depending on the model, and some have issues running the DA to SA guns, (you need to learn both trigger pulls as opposed to having the same pull for every shot).

The trigger upgrade and sights don't really add value to your XDM, they are your preference and may not be to someone else's liking. What gear are you referring to when you say "all gear? " If custom leather or very respected brand that will add to what you are putting up/trading away.

When you are looking at a used Sig some area's to examine are the frame rails, look for shiny spots on the frame rails to see if the stainless slide has eaten through the anodized frame. Pass on it if you see large swaths of bare aluminum or deep gouges that go through the anodizing. Barrel smilies, the "(" shaped wear on the muzzle end of the Bbl's. finish will indicate approximate round count. This area wears fast and you should see some shiny spots after a couple hundred rounds more or less. Does the Sig have night sights? How old are they? Are they still bright, fading or dead? To me, and this is my opinion, the P229 is a much nicer, more desirable firearm than the XD/XDM series, but condition is going to be the deciding factor if it's a good trade or not.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts