Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 3" S&W M36 for a couple years now; like the pistol quite a bit, but I decided that I'd like something a little lighter and compact...that 3" barrel makes pocket carrying difficult, and also difficult to find 3" holsters for pocket carry.

So, in the flurry of selling/trading/etc that I've been doing lately, I ended up with a new LCR. I like it...but not as much as I like my 36. I'm definitely more accurate with the M36 (yes, in DA mode--I'm not cocking the hammer first); part of me says the extra inch or so of sight radius is helping, but...to be dead honest, as vaunted as the LCR's trigger is (and it is quite nice--much better than the 442/642's that I was looking at), it is nowhere near as smooth as the M36's.

I've also found that with the exception of putting it in the pocket of my winter coat, I'm not a fan of pocket carry, either. So, the whole hammer thing doesn't seem to come into play a whole lot...and if I decide it's going to, it's not too hard to get the hammer bobbed. I've also considered the possibility of a Bodyguard, as well (the classic, shrouded hammer design, not the new plastic and laser gee-whiz model).

So...I think a nice, snub Chief's Special or Airweight is going to join the stable, and the LCR is going to move along.

So, DC hive mind--crazy talk?:danceban:

·
Registered
13,020 Posts
I had an LCR 357 and really tried to like it. I went back to a J frame for that role.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Well --- I'm keepin my LCR, both of them.

Reactions: Funkybassplayer

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hard to beat a steel revolver in my humble opinion. An LCR is an excellent revolver, but up here in the frigid north it can't be that hard to hide that 3" revolver. We wear sweatshirts 3 seasons out of the year.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The M36 is a great classic gun and the 3" barrel is a nice option to have. Hard to go wrong with it. Get a good IWB holster and you're set. If you're considering the Bodyguard 38/638, why not look into the all-steel 649 to go along with the M36? Great combo there!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 36 snub and a LCR. Two different guns to me. They are the two only revolvers I have, and could not be more happy with each. Love the 36 the most and just looks great. Just like a 38 should be. But,,,,, I also enjoy shooting and carrying my LCR. It is a little lighter and is rated for +P. All the new steel revolvers by S&W just don't really get my attention. I might be the only one but, the LCR is great for carry and frankly, I don't worry about it much when carrying in bad weather because it's not steel. I also believe it shoots better for me than the other light weight versions on the market. I don't notice the recoil as much. Anyway, that's my opinion. Would not sell my 36 or LCR for nothing.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Everybody will have their own preference. I personally like the LCR better. If you like the 36 better, than keep it (or get another one) and sell the LCR to someone who like it better. You'll both end up happy.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Don't get me wrong I just love Rugers own quite a few,but the LCR just has never felt quite right in my hand. Something about that big sweeping trigger gaurd.
On the other hand the S&W J's especially the steel ones feel great, look good to. They remind me of a well made Swiss watch.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
For CCW in humid Florida I have a S&W Model 649 and a S&W Model 60 both in .38 spl stainless steel revolvers.

I prefer all steel snub nose revolvers for the added weight and better recoil control with +p ammo.

photo.jpg Image.jpg
click image to enlarge....

I do have a Ruger but again it's a stainless steel SP-101 in .357 for heavy work. :image035:

photo.jpg

All that said I like 3" barrels on a revolver and I like .357's. My S&W Model 65 fits those requirements.

Image 3.jpg

I have thinned out the herd over the past year however these four will be staying. They are all definite keepers.

Regards,

FlaRon:urla9ub:

P.S.

My S&W Model 36 went to my daughter.

Image.jpg
click image to enlarge.....

I like me some snubbies. :danceban:

Reactions: Bad Bob and G-man*

·
Registered
215 Posts
Everybody will have their own preference. I personally like the LCR better. If you like the 36 better, than keep it (or get another one) and sell the LCR to someone who like it better. You'll both end up happy.
IMHO this ^^^^is a great reply.

·
Registered
18,750 Posts
I have an old flat latch model 36 going on its 2nd re bluing job. Gotta love them.

Reactions: FlaRon

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
I carried a 1966 Model 60 for many years but I now carry a auto loader and my wife very much likes her LCR over any of my other revolvers.....

Reactions: FlaRon

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I carried a 1966 Model 60 for many years but I now carry a auto loader and my wife very much likes her LCR over any of my other revolvers.....
Chuck,

1966 was only the second year of production for the Model 60. It came with the diamond grips. Very desirable year for some S&W collectors.

Hard to get during the Vietnam era as many of the troops thought the stainless steel j-frame was a great gun to take to the jungle and they were right.

Regards,

FlaRon :urla9ub:

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...I have a 649 which I'm thinking of parting with...it's been my favorite till I got my 2" DAO SP101 .357
...I had a 36 which I got rid of for a PPK when I was young and foolish...
...I had a 3" M65 which I traded for a P90 because it was heavy for AIWB...
...I had a 3" GP100 which I sold a coupla years ago for the same reason...both would have been great belt holster guns but I don't carry that way...

...all my snubs have to be stainless...still looking for 4 more...they're like puppies...I want this one...and that one...and oh, that one's cute...and that one likes me...and and ....
For CCW in humid Florida I have a S&W Model 649 and a S&W Model 60 both in .38 spl stainless steel revolvers.

I prefer all steel snub nose revolvers for the added weight and better recoil control with +p ammo.

View attachment 70107 View attachment 70108

I do have a Ruger but again it's a stainless steel SP-101 in .357 for heavy work. :image035:

View attachment 70109

All that said I like 3" barrels on a revolver and I like .357's. My S&W Model 65 fits those requirements.

View attachment 70110

I have thinned out the herd over the past year however these four will be staying. They are all definite keepers.

Regards,

FlaRon:urla9ub:

P.S.

My S&W Model 36 went to my daughter.

View attachment 70111
click image to enlarge.....

I like me some snubbies. :danceban:

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
Chuck,

1966 was only the second year of production for the Model 60. It came with the diamond grips. Very desirable year for some S&W collectors.

Hard to get during the Vietnam era as many of the troops thought the stainless steel j-frame was a great gun to take to the jungle and they were right.

Regards,

FlaRon :urla9ub:
It was my fathers gun and when I switched to a XD40SC I thought it was only fair to share it with my older brother who now uses it for his EDC.

I took a Ruger Blackhawk .30cal with me to Vietnam knowing I could get all the ammo I would need. I carried it in a leather El Paso cowboy holster and fit right in with the rest of the cowboys, helicopter crews.:image035: When I DEROS'd I gave it to my replacement.

Nice looking collection.........

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well...I think it's going along with me to the next gun show...if no luck, it'll go on Armslist.

I'm really leaning towards a pre-lock model 60 or 649; with the exception of my 36, all of my other S&W revolvers are stainless...

But I could easily be tempted by a nice 36.

Or a snubby model 10 or 64.

Or a Colt Detective's Special.:image035:

Reactions: Snub44
1 - 20 of 21 Posts