Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a great deal of thinking, I have decided to forego the extra mag that I carry and replacing it with a small can of pepper spray (they are very small)

Living in a very safe neighborhood in North Dallas area, the odds are, there is little chance I would need a weapon at all. on top of that, a non lethal response could be needed as much, if not more than a lethal response.

Lets say that a dog attacks my dog when we are out walking. Having an option other than a gun would be appropriate and desirable.

There are also many other situations that I can think of that a less than lethal solution would be better.

Hopefully I NEVER need either.....

If the pepper spray wont work, My 7 rounds of 40 cal will have to do

If I lived in a rough area, I may think different, but having another option seems like the best approach.

Reactions: ArmyCop and Zralou

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
And let's say you end up in a situation where you actually need to use your firearm and the magazine jams...Then what?

I'm sure you have room in your pockets/on your person for both pepper spray and a backup magazine (note I didn't call it an extra magazine).

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
OC spray is always good, but so is an extra mag...not for more rounds, but for malfunctions.
Words from victims after a crime (just watch TV) usually go something like this, "I can't believe it happened in this neighborhood because it's so safe here."

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
To each his/her own. I carry at least one 1911 (two when traveling even locally) min two extra mags and a nice sharp knife- YMMV I don't live or go to what I consider dangerous areas or do stupid things with/around stupid people but no matter how safe a place may "seem" real world data tells us anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any given time. IMHO , YMMV

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
After doing a great deal of thinking, I have decided to forego the extra mag that I carry and replacing it with a small can of pepper spray (they are very small)

Living in a very safe neighborhood in North Dallas area, the odds are, there is little chance I would need a weapon at all. on top of that, a non lethal response cold be needed as much, if not more than a lethal response.

Lets say that a dog attacks my dog when we are out walking. Having an option other than a gun would be appropriate and desirable.

There are also many other situations that I can think of that a less than lethal solution would be better.

Hopefully I NEVER need either.....

If the pepper spray wont work, My 7 rounds of 40 cal will have to do

If I lived in a rough area, I may think different, but having another option seems like the best approach.
You should spend some time researching the crimes in your "safe neighborhood" and the areas where you travel.

Reactions: perfection

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
i carry a gun, spare mag, mace and light. the mace is the only item i have actually used in self defense.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Having a less-than-lethal option is a good thing.

But it won't change the calculus of a situation that does require the use of deadly force. Just realize that you might have gained capability in other situations, but by having no spare mag you introduce the risk of ammo or mag failures causing your weapon to fail to run. Heaven forbid that occurs in a situation in which it's vital it continue running. Just something to think about, when ditching the spare mag(s).

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
If size is an issue, look at the ASP Palm Defender for OC spray. Don't give up the spare magazine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
To each his/her own. I carry at least one 1911 (two when traveling even locally) min two extra mags and a nice sharp knife- YMMV I don't live or go to what I consider dangerous areas or do stupid things with/around stupid people but no matter how safe a place may "seem" real world data tells us anything can happen to anyone anywhere at any given time. IMHO , YMMV
agreed. stupid people are everywhere, they multiply and spread and do stupid things wherever they go, stupefying the areas they occupy. the transformation can happen rather quickly.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Fine? Most semi malfunctions are ammo/mag related when you only have one that doesn't work you're FAR from fine when your life is on the line

Reactions: 1MoreGoodGuy

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
What are you going to bring to eat?

Reactions: squid86

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
What are the chances of a magazine failure?.
Most failures are ftl, fte, stovepipe, etc., most of which are ammo related. Even with a spare mag, in such a stressful situation of a failure, how many would even think about dropping the mag and loading another?.
Carrying pepper spray instead of an extra magazine is an excellent idea, carrying pepper AND an extra mag would be the ideal, but if you have to choose, a spray of pepper could realistically subdue the BG sufficiently, giving you time to deal with whatever circumstance caused the malfunction.

Sara Lou

Reactions: farsidefan1

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
There are plenty of other options than just ditching your spare mag. I would find another option, you say your pepper spray is very small so there should be enough room for everything. I don't know what else you carry in your pockets or on your belt but there are ways to consolidate and make room for a small can of pepper spray while still having the backup mag. I would lose something else before I ditched my spare mag. Its not for extra rounds but for the case of mag malfunction.

Sent from my DROID RAZR cuz robots are cooler than fruit.

·
Administrator
144,204 Posts
I gave your post a "LIKE" because I really do like the fact that you'll be carrying OC when you walk your dog. A loose, vicious dog attacking your dog is a very real possibility.
In fact that scenario has happened to my four legged friend.

You need to actually have it "in hand" though when you walk your dog because the attack can happen so quickly that you'll not be able to deploy it in time if you have to fish it out of a pocket.

A dog bent on attack will often approach VERY quickly. You need to be able to gas him on the approach.

Once the attacking dog is ON your dog it is really too late because you do not want to hit your pooch also.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned you really do need to carry a spare magazine because the magazine is the weakest link of any semi-automatic firearm.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I agree with what HemiCoupl said. But I do sometimes feel like I have Batman Utility Belt on. Wallet, keys, knife, change, cell phone, gun, spare mag, flashlight, pepper spray, reading glasses, Leatherman Micra-Tool, nail clippers, and a 4 inch crescent wrench. Suspenders are a must. If I can find all that stuff at the same time it is going to be a great day.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Fine? Most semi malfunctions are ammo/mag related when you only have one that doesn't work you're FAR from fine when your life is on the line
Yes, he will be completely fine. I honestly don't know how you guys carry all this stuff anyways.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts