Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I decided it can happen to anyone that's careless after a buddy of mine, a 20 year Marine Gunnery Sgt., did the same damn thing. That's my takeaway.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gotta disagree with those calling the unfortunate trainer "stupid", or that he had no business being a trainer etc.. No one knows the guy, or how competent he is or is not.

These things should NOT happen,, yet they do, and to good competent individuals in ALL walks of life.. guns are dangerous when loaded, although thats not a common theme here.. Mishandling one is the usual cause of an accident.. Either that or inexperience.. However, good, knowledgeable, safety conscious people have accidents with guns on the very rare occasion.. Yes they DO minimize their chances, but even the very diligent and competent can do something wrong for an instant for the first time in his/her life, have attention diverted for a half second, or just plain have a freak 1 in a million happenstance on any given day.
If you are arrogant enough to say "It can NEVER happen to me", I would say that you are being very naive'.. Bad things happen to good, or smart, or accomplished, or even expert people in all disciplines ... bob

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
It’s why they call it an accident

Gotta disagree with those calling the unfortunate trainer "stupid", or that he had no business being a trainer etc.. No one knows the guy, or how competent he is or is not.

These things should NOT happen,, yet they do, and to good competent individuals in ALL walks of life.. guns are dangerous when loaded, although thats not a common theme here.. Mishandling one is the usual cause of an accident.. Either that or inexperience.. However, good, knowledgeable, safety conscious people have accidents with guns on the very rare occasion.. Yes they DO minimize their chances, but even the very diligent and competent can do something wrong for an instant for the first time in his/her life, have attention diverted for a half second, or just plain have a freak 1 in a million happenstance on any given day.
If you are arrogant enough to say "It can NEVER happen to me", I would say that you are being very naive'.. Bad things happen to good, or smart, or accomplished, or even expert people in all disciplines ... bob
^^^^^. THIS ^^^^^^

I hope the instructor’s okay. And I think this forum’s members are better than than the early posts in this thread might indicate.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts

Which is exactly why the "booger hook ,bang switch" cliche is so absurd. It ignores the risk of an ND all together with a loaded gun as if fingers were the only possible danger to a trigger getting tripped.

·
Registered
910 Posts
One little brain fart.
Glad I don't get them.:smile:
Had a ND once, never forgot it, no one was around or hurt.
Except my ego of being a ....
Me, too.
Although there were good-friend witnesses.
My essentially-otherwise-safe gun handling assured that there were no injuries to either person or thing.

·
Registered
34,547 Posts
One little brain fart.
Glad I don't get them.:smile:
Had a ND once, never forgot it, no one was around or hurt.
Except my ego of being a ....
Ditto. Very accidental, yet careless on my part. Let the hammer slip when "decocking" my .30-30. I'm so glad it wasn't striker fired. Could have been bad...

·
Super Moderator
18,069 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that his shirt got caught with the gun when he was holstering because it happens more than you think, especially drawing and reholstering from concealed carry.

Get distracted, feel a bit of resistance from the shirt being pressed into the holster, it fouls the trigger, you press it home and then BOOM.:blink:

·
Registered
386 Posts

An interesting article about another instructor having an negligent discharge: https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/layers-of-firearms-safety-a-teachable-moment/

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The original trainer

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
No matter what he carried (or tried to ) GREAT lesson for us all--"Let's be careful out there ".....
Very true. It’s important to remember to not finger the trigger until the gun is presented on target.

Reactions: OD* and BCC73
21 - 40 of 60 Posts