Defensive Carry banner

Do you think training is good or bad?

• I carry concealed an I am in favor of firearms training.

Votes: 84 96.6%
  • I carry concealed and I am against firearms training

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I carry openly and I am in favor of firearms training.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I carry openly and I am against firearms training.

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m starting this thread as a result of a discussion in another thread, whether people are in favor or against training. This is not a discussion about whether or not there should be any sort of required training, or whether open carrying or concealed carry is better. Only whether you think people are better off with or without training.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How can someone be against good firearms training?
I don’t know. I’ve been told that’s an opinion that some people have though.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
My choice: concealed and in favor of training. I agree with @ColoradoDiablo that the quality of the training is what matters most. My only training was in the Corps where I carried a M1911. Everything I learned then applies today. There are many good trainers and I think just as many bad ones.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Several have said it but I'll say it again - not all training is created equal. I've seen some really amazingly idiotic training recommended by folks with seemingly impressive resumes. Heck, I've seen flat out stupid and dangerous things STRONGLY advocated for by folks that don't come off as Mall Ninjas ....at first. That all said, most people who successfully defend themselves with a firearm have not attended much, if any, training.
So, the option I would choose is not available: I am in favor or quality training that is optional for the shooter.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
How is this even a question?

I can't claim to have mastered any particular skill set. Not motorcycle riding, not cooking, not reloading, not shooting, not fly tying,......nothing. There is simply nothing I'm interested in that it wouldn't benefit me to get training in. I understand that Tom Brady still uses a quarterback coach.......

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,814 Posts

~ I carry concealed and I am in favor of firearms training.
~ I carry openly and I am in favor of firearms training.

I am against mandatory training. My training has been military and NRA.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Poll needs better options.

I concealed carry but have no interest in 99% of the tacticool training that's out there. So I'm not against firearm training, just not interested in most of it.
Good point. Didn’t think about it from that perspective.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts

~ I carry concealed and I am in favor of firearms training.
~ I carry openly and I am in favor of firearms training.

I am against mandatory training. My training has been military and NRA.
As a combat veteran, and formerNRA instructor and Training Counselor, this makes me very sad that you've stayed limited to those venues for training

Edited for clarity

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I fit in some type of professional training each month, mostly gun, but some knife and hand to hand too.

Probably not something I will ever need to train to the level that I do, but I enjoy it.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
I am for training that fits the shooter's needs, is well designed to meet those needs and is well delivered to accomplish those goals. Unfortunately, that is hard to find. I am not for "quantity training" because I think it can teach and reinforce bad habits (or at least habits that are bad for an individual shooter) and it is just a waste of time and money that can be better spent.

Sorry to the NRA instructors here, but I have never been much impressed with NRA-branded training and I have taken a fair amount of it. It think their beginner stuff, like "First Steps Pistol" is great for newbies, but it goes downhill from there. Not only that, I have been shocked to see safety violations at NRA courses and the instructors not caring when I reported it. And this was at the NRA HQ Range! I can do without that.

Another big gripe I have about training is a lot of courses out there assume you are going to carry a hi-cap striker. If you show up with something else, at best you won't get much coaching on what you do carry. At worst you will get outright criticized. I think an instructor should help you be the best with the choices you've made.

I think there are other ways to gain proficiency, such as competition and practice, but not just generic powder-burning. I mean practicing drills, with a goal in mind.

·
Banned
705 Posts
As a combat veteran, NRA instructor and Training Counselor, this makes me very sad.
Why?

He didn't say he was against training he said he was against mandatory training and so am I.

I didn't think professional training had any value until I actually got some. One of the first things I learned in my first professional class was how much I DIDN'T know and my skill set (such as it is) has improved dramatically since I started training.

Having said that though, I don't think the State should mandate training because if they do it's only a matter of time before the bar is set so high that not even Chuck Norris could pass.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Why?

He didn't say he was against training he said he was against mandatory training and so am I.

I didn't think professional training had any value until I actually got some. One of the first things I learned in my first professional class was how much I DIDN'T know and my skill set (such as it is) has improved dramatically since I started training.

Having said that though, I don't think the State should mandate training because if they do it's only a matter of time before the bar is set so high that not even Chuck Norris could pass.
I'm sad that he's missing so much information by staying limited to that scope of training.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 71 Posts