Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At my advanced concealed carry class at NC's PSR37 the instructor gave us some orange 9mm plastic rounds that fit into the mag but unlike regular snap caps they are not ejected with slide cycling, do not allow the slide to lock back, and can be used for dry fire and malfunction clearing drills. Do you guys have any idea what these are called and where I can get them. I'm trying to get a 380ACP one for my wife to practice racking her new Glock 42. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I'm sincerely puzzled by this description and why/how these are used.

If they won't feed well and won't extract or eject they sound unusable, like you'd have to use tweezers to get them out of the barrel.

You can certainly use snap-caps which don't cause the slide to cycle to simulate a malfunction, mixed in -at the range- with live rounds.

Can anyone explain? The reviewers at the posted link say they don't work. I get that for malfunction drills you want dummy rounds but not defective dummy rounds, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Only advantage I can see to a dummy round that doesn't extract/eject is so you can rack the slide and pull the trigger over and over, without reloading. Then I'd guess you push the dummy out winth a cleaning rod or the like.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what this was for. It doesn't chamber, it stays in the magazine and you take it out the way you would any round

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
They all look as if they have a rim, why wouldn't they eject with each full slide rack? Most semi autos you can pull the slide slightly back to reset the striker . If I am repetitively dry firing , I use a laser lyte trainer. I find It costs more , but more beneficial to training.

·
Super Moderator
19,880 Posts
Glock's FAQs notwithstanding, I doubt a normal owner could dry fire a Glock enough to hurt anything. Why not have her practice working the slide without a mag in the gun? If she needs it because of that itty-bitty grip, then I'd pull the spring and follower out of the mag and re-insert it.

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
They all look as if they have a rim, why wouldn't they eject with each full slide rack? Most semi autos you can pull the slide slightly back to reset the striker . If I am repetitively dry firing , I use a laser lyte trainer. I find It costs more , but more beneficial to training.
Cool! I picked up on that rocky and it's something I'd not heard of before. Why one could train when he's bored in the middle of the night doing security at the gun show. He could also train and possibly entertain the cat at the same time.

LaserLyte ? Trainer Target Laser

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Cool! I picked up on that rocky and it's something I'd not heard of before. Why one could train when he's bored in the middle of the night doing security at the gun show. He could also train and possibly entertain the cat at the same time.

LaserLyte ? Trainer Target Laser
I am considering a sirt pistol for training as well , since they have a M&P model out.

·
Super Moderator
19,880 Posts
I am considering a sirt pistol for training as well , since they have a M&P model out.
I got one to prep for my first Level II match this fall... I'm probably not using it to its fullest advantage, but what a difference it made! I'm using it with scaled targets and a shot time in my garage. Be brutally honest with yourself about where your shots hit!

Reactions: rocky

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You can also get weighted training magazines that will allow slide cycling. Or do what I did and weight an old magazine with something and remove or glue the follower down to let the gun cycle.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Wow, I should get me a setup with those Laserlyte plinking cans. I'd never have to go to the range again. :embarassed:

:blink:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wow, I should get me a setup with those Laserlyte plinking cans. I'd never have to go to the range again. :embarassed:

:blink:
I actually bought a toy I had as a kid (google "Tin Can Alley"), and a Laserlyte cartridge (also bought an older incomplete Laserlyte target & laser system for $19.99 on eBay).
A lot cheaper than the Laserlyte plinking cans :)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
We used those back when we took our Il ccw. The ones we used looked exactly like those and the did in fact chamber and eject like snap caps.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Yes being busy past few weeks and not active has me looking at old post. I've seen these (Laserlyte)but never really thought much about these until this thread. This would be great for some extra winter practice. Wife hates getting out in the cold.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts