Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I have been training with reactive targets (bowling pins, plates etc.). I decided to make things a little more life like and started searching the net for some alternatives. I found Quality Targets Home Page and spoke with Calvin. Had exactly what I was looking for--a full size IDPA target. I opted for the mild steel version as we only shoot 45acp. Calvin was very accommodating when I asked him to do a COM 8 inch cutout. A couple of days later, I had my target.

I bought a hinge at the local big box, drilled/tapped a few holes and bolted everything together. The bolts are flush to the shooting surface. everything is mounted on a portable stand made from a couple of 2x3s, an old treadmill stand, chain and steel rod support.

The target is adjustable via chain, to simulate bg's of various height. I can also reverse everything to shoot the other side (I don't think I will have to). Maintenance will require the occasional paint job. All we are waiting on is a few warm days to try it out.

This was an easy and relatively inexpensive project that I know will help improve our abilities.

:image035:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
That's awesome. I'd love to have something like that.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Nice, Looks like a good idea for a project.:smile:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Shooting reactive targets is alot more fun than shooting paper. It's also great practice and still allows you to see your hits as well as paper. Good project, looks like you did good. Dont forget a good backstop. :yup:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
That looks like it could be fun. I seem to remember talking to a guy at one point that was using steel plates that he had mounted to spring-loaded door hinges horizontally, as in the hinge was at the top of the plate so the plate would swing back and deflect the rounds into the ground before swinging back.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Reactive targets are a must, especially for keeping kids interested. Also great to show that you need both eyes open to shoot moving targets.

I find drills with airsoft to be very useful since there is nothing that can mimic the movements of a human.- George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts