Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a road trip from NH to TN. I have to go through MA, CT, NY, and NJ before safe haven in PA and beyond.

I understand that I can transport a pistol locked up, unloaded, blah blah blah across state lines, as long as it's legal in the destination state (and my NH permit is good in TN). But I'm nervous about the 15 round mag as I go through NY especially. Even unloaded and locked in the trunk...can I bring a normal capacity mag THROUGH NY? I can't find anything on Google from the post SAFE law era.

Seriously, it's ridiculous that I'm even having to worry about this. Fascists.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
959 Posts
You cannot take hi caps mags into the state. I believe the limit is 7 now isn't it? or has that not gone into effect yet?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
First with a smart aleck answer!

Can you drive straight through those states without stopping, exceeding the speed limit, breaking any other traffic laws, or without any LEO seeing your license plates and NRA stickers?

IANAL- I would probably lock up ammo, magazines (unloaded) , pistol (unloaded) in seperate containers and in seperate areas of the car. And pray you don't get stopped.

Reactions: Dsbjax

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
You cannot take hi caps mags into the state. I believe the limit is 7 now isn't it? or has that not gone into effect yet?
You can have nothing more than a 10 round magazine, but you can only have 7 rounds in it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any NRA stickers on my car, and nothing aout it or me says 'gun.' So I won't be profiled anyway. God forbid I got into an accident or something.

So you guys think I can't even bring a grown up magazine INTO NY? &@$?!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Honestly, what I would do is hide my mags in the door of the car, as in physically disassemble the door. Or maybe open up the dash and duct tape them up in the firewall. Somewhere where you would need tools to see and get to them. But that would be illegal. So don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
19,438 Posts
I would plan a different route to minimize the exposure to MA and NJ, and absolutely not drive through any part of NYC with a firearm. Your biggest risk is getting caught with the high-cap mag in NY state.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would plan a different route to minimize the exposure to MA and NJ, and absolutely not drive through any part of NYC with a firearm. Your biggest risk is getting caught with the high-cap mag in NY state.
Can I get from NH to TN without going, even briefly, through NY? I don't think so...but I'll look. I'll definitely avoid NYC.

Does Memphis have a high number of ccw holders? I may have to rely on the kindness of strangers for my defense :/

I will remember the last few months come November. I mean, basically we now have a situation where travel is being restricted. 'Papers please' and all that. I have a Constitutional right that I de facto can't exercise because my state is bordered by crazies. Good lord, the NH Hampton toll booth might as well be the Berlin Wall. Once you're in MA, it's enemy territory for a day's drive.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Revolvers

In your situation I would probably take a couple of revolvers as protection on my trip.

Reactions: ccman and sebring

·
Registered
345 Posts
I am from NY but I now live in VA (thank god!) so I go up there for christmas and other such holidays and without getting on a boat or travelling through Canada, there is no way to get to New England without crossing through NY. My solution: I leave my M&P .357sig and my Glocks AT HOME! Even though I do have some 10 round mags for both. It's just not worth a felony!... so I went to walmart and bought an aluminum tee-ball bat for $15...It's light and can be weilded easily one-handed:got-hooligan: I do ,however, bring my Remington 870... completely disassembled , in a locked compartment, in the trunk....this is legal in NY because a 12 gauge can't hurt anyone:rant:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish I had a revolver, but the one I've ordered hasn't come in.

I'm seriously seething here. The idea that I'm deemed a law abiding citizen by NH, then I cross a line and I'm a felon...insane. Not that I don't respect state's rights. I just wish I wasn't barricaded in by friggin stupid states. Then I cross another line into PA and I'm a respectable law abiding citizen again. Jesus, if I disassemble the gun and hide it in a bag of weed will I be ok?!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts